• 9(current)
New box: G-box midnight mx2
Hello Gents, pretty much a noob

Currently using Roku 2 with Plex and hate the loading please wait... on some vids so was checking out XBMC
I have it installed on PC but I prefer it with traditional remote and don't really enjoy Android app etc as a substitute

Now, was browsing thrpugh different hardware for XBMC, so would like your advice

http://www.amazon.ca/dp/B00CH643A8/ref=a...opbotca-20

OR

http://dynamic.focalprice.com/EH0160B/MX...rrency=CAD

or

http://products.ncix.com/detail/pivos-xi...5-1051.htm

OR None of the above

Can you kindly recommend, prefer out of the box solution - mainly for my content and netflix
Mine plays SD video great, but it can't handle HD at all. It makes it about 5 minutes into a HD video and then buffers for 5-10 seconds. Even worse when it's on a physical network connection. Which makes me wonder why they skimped on the 1000 base hardware.

I'm getting 72mbps connection to the router on wifi, even right next to it, where every other device connected is at least 140. I even tried it with nothing else active, and no overlapping signals in the neighborhood.

At the price point it's not horrible, but most of my movie library is already 1080 and the rest is being upgraded to that as well. If I were to look at a machine based on needing to play that content back, this one definitely does not fit the bill.

It seems like in the default build of XBMC on there all the advanced options have been removed as well, and any other builds only achieve playback of 10fps.

I just wish this thing could play through a 1080 movie without having to buffer every few minutes.
I have this box, and it's great.

One thing that is strange though is that everytime I power off the box and turn it back on, my date / time settings are lost, and everything reverts back to Jan. 1, 1970, Midnight. Is there a fix for this?
I bought one of these Gbox MX2's tonight through Amazon. I have set up several XBMC machines before. Step one has always been to install Fusion. Step two has been to install XBMCHUB. The XBMCHUB WIZARD automatically installs the most popular movie apps. Lastly I manually install a couple more zips, and then I enable a few addons, and I'm ready to go. Here is what I'm confused about:

1. Should I install FUSION on the factory pre-configured G-box? I suspect a lot of the addons inside the fusion repository are already installed on the Gbox from the factory. However, I predict that many of the movie sites such as the most popular ones installed using XBMCHUB will not be available out of the box. How I am supposed to get the movie addons I want without adding fusion?

2. I suspect I should not install XBMCHub, right? Since the G-box is said to run smoother than similar boxes due to its custom version of XBMC, I think installing XBMCHUB would be counterproductive.

3. Finally, I have a Logitech K400 wireless keyboard that I never use anymore after installing mouse/keyboard apps on my mobile phone and tablet. I intend to use the K400 with the MX2. Is there anything special I need to do to get it to work?
(2013-12-24, 03:55)dardack Wrote: I have a clone MX2 and a legit Gbox MX2. Opened both. Same exact HW inside.

I personally like it for netflix/xbmc. I would at this time not purchase another Gbox legit because they release a new XBMC for 1.1.6 that the generic PIVOS/XIOS versions won't work on but I couldn't get official source code for.

Along with reading about matricom, if the clones are same hardware why pay more for a gbox?

You're basically paying the extra $20 to $35 for the custom firmware and warranty. I have a couple clones as well running Linux XBMC. Runs like a charm and they were my introduction into the XBMC/cord cutting market.
(2013-12-28, 14:09)shin505 Wrote: [quote='dardack' pid='1581000' dateline='1387850131']

You're basically paying the extra $20 to $35 for the custom firmware and warranty. I have a couple clones as well running Linux XBMC. Runs like a charm and they were my introduction into the XBMC/cord cutting market.

Considering you can put the custom firmware on your clone (I have on my clone) meh to warranty. But I feel ya.
(2013-12-26, 05:45)wizin Wrote: Hello Gents, pretty much a noob

Currently using Roku 2 with Plex and hate the loading please wait... on some vids so was checking out XBMC
I have it installed on PC but I prefer it with traditional remote and don't really enjoy Android app etc as a substitute

Now, was browsing thrpugh different hardware for XBMC, so would like your advice

http://www.amazon.ca/dp/B00CH643A8/ref=a...opbotca-20

OR

http://dynamic.focalprice.com/EH0160B/MX...rrency=CAD

or

http://products.ncix.com/detail/pivos-xi...5-1051.htm

OR None of the above

Can you kindly recommend, prefer out of the box solution - mainly for my content and netflix

Only amazon link worked for me. If you want netflix you either have to go android or windows solution for an HTPC. If you want it on Android, you will need a wireless trackpad of some sort. I use a mini keyboard/trackpad thingy $15 off ebay. Since they have not made a remote friendly netflix app yet. It's been getting better each past release but still you will need the trackpad.

So if you want Android, the MX2 or any of the clones is a good option IMO. If you read this thread and other places, some people have issues with buffering and playing certain content. I have no issues with my content except 1 out of every 5 tv shows one time during that 1, there will be a 2 second freeze on video, audio still plays then it catches up and plays fine. It hasn't happened on any movie yet. Not sure if encoding differences for TV vs Movies.

Also, as of right now, XBMC will not do 1080p on the mx2 devices. Limitation on the chip set or xbmc or something. Matricom supposedly has a 1080p working version but hasn't released it yet. So android will be in 1080p but xbmc will be in 720p.

Some issues that don't affect me, VOB files don't play smoothly in XBMC, they do in external players. But matricom will not release their source code as of yet (davilla has been informed) and only their special version works on 1.1.6 current firmware. So we can't bug fix in the 12.2 xbmc external player issue that code has been released to fix or even compile 12.3 for it, which I believe fixes it, since they are using somethign special for 1.1.6.

So you have to ask yourself, do you want the hassle of potentially not everything working or just get a cheap Acer Intel little box. My dad just got one like $200. OpenElec, no netflix or you can put Windows on and do the netflix thing. The only thing it doesn't have is built in bluetooth and can't play back 3d videos. Everything else is smooth.

So myself, I have the mx2, he has 1 mx2 downstairs and one of the cheap acer boxes upstairs. He likes the acer better. And he doesn't need netflix upstairs cause his TV is a smart one.
Hi
Anyone know where i can buy this excelent box in Canada?

Good prices, I see in Amazon.com $99 but in Canada is more expensive
http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B...dition=new

If anyone can help me?

I see in chinese stores $67 certaly is a clone, whats the problem if it´s clone?

Thanks for all support
To bad that one day the people that get ripped off will stop developing the custom firmware and then everyone will start whining about how there are no more updates to the software.... just saying, ya know. Bad Apples do spoil the barrel.
Well I got one of these boxes about a month ago,and to be honest for all the hype that I read about them, I'm actually quite disappointed. They advertise that this box can do 1080p, how ever xbmc (which is the only reason I use it) is locked by default to 1280x720. Which I find VERY frustrating. Also all though it does "support" xbmc, it's soooo stripped down that most of the features that every one loves has been taken out, disabled or isn't supported.

And before you say anything, I already own 4 rasp pi's that work flawlessly... The only reason why I picked up this unit was because it "supports" HDMI 1.4 (high speed HDMI) for my 3d projector.

I'm quite frustrated with the fact that they have disabled, or rather just don't support samba. Which basically means that you cannot use the xbmc remote app...

The blue tooth is a joke, says its active, tried 5 different dongles that work on everything else but these units... Won't recognize any keyboards, mice, phones, remotes, pointers..

The airplay doesn't work AT ALL says it's on, can see the unit, cannot connect. Cannot mirror, from either my Ipad air, or my ipad 2 or my iphone 5s or my iPhone 5 or hell, even my iPhone 4. How ever amazingly I can connect fine to my 4 pi's with all my equipment no problem.

The list can continue, but alas I will stop here for the night.

My recommendation, if you are looking for a box that adds the functionality of a tablet to your theatre or your tv, this is about all it's good for. It will allow you to play most any files (granted I'm wired direct to my server) with no chop, or stuttering, or sound issues. It is fairly quick, at installing apps, or even switching from app to app. How every if you actually know what your doing and are using in a more advanced way like I am over the average everyday user. This thing is rubbish...

Any one want to buy this one?
(2013-12-28, 14:09)shin505 Wrote:
(2013-12-24, 03:55)dardack Wrote: I have a clone MX2 and a legit Gbox MX2. Opened both. Same exact HW inside.

I personally like it for netflix/xbmc. I would at this time not purchase another Gbox legit because they release a new XBMC for 1.1.6 that the generic PIVOS/XIOS versions won't work on but I couldn't get official source code for.

Along with reading about matricom, if the clones are same hardware why pay more for a gbox?

Are you able to save your settings on the Linux XBMC? I just flashed my box but my settings are sticking...
Has anyone successfully used this box as a pvr box? Next box I buy I want to be able to use PVR.WMC. My Rasp Pi runs it well, but it is very slow to tune 4-5 seconds. Plus it hangs when scrolling through the menus on the left.
I've purchased an MX2 box (clone I think) but have a small problem. Whenever the display output is set to 1080p@60hz I keep getting yellow sparkle graphical artefacts. I tried for ages to get rid of them but eventually I found the only way to stop these artefacts is to lower the display setting to 720p@60hz.
I have a limited time to return the item if need be so would like to know Is this an actual fault with the unit or is this normal ?

Thanks

Joff
(2013-06-14, 19:36)gth782s Wrote: Is there a way to tell which Google Play Store apps will work on the G-box? I understand that some will not play at all on the G-box MX2. I am specifically interested in the MLB.com At Bat app and the Hulu app (I see that Netflix come preinstalled). I would be grateful if someone could test out the MLB.com At Bat app! Thanks so much for the help and sorry if this has already been mentioned or is common knowledge...

its the video downloading which causes this to happen. when i had my wd wireless this happened alot. there is no way to adjust the bitrate for netflix. you can pause the video when it starts to let it download a little bit. my roku which was wireless did this.
Why are people still looking at a box that is over a year old? People if you want a good box for the same price get a minix x7 mini quad core 2gb ram then install quick shots rom on it and you can spoof the box as a nexus 7 and play anything from the google play store you want.
It's been mentioned here many times the Xbmc team does not like this company they don't pay for the gold license to use Xbmc and they offer the worst support and warranty.
  • 9(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
New box: G-box midnight mx22