Only files in root are recognized
Hello!

I already searched this forum and googled a lot and found many posts related to my problem, but none that could help me: I just set up xmbc and wanted to add my movies and tv shows. The thing is that I can only get xmbc to find files that are in the root of each video source. As soon as I create subfolders to organize my files, they are not found anymore.

Here is an example of my folder structure:

Code:
TV Shows (= video source)
  - Game of Thrones
    - tvshow.nfo
    - Season 02
      - Game of Thrones.s02e01.mkv
      - Game of Thrones.s02e01.nfo

I scraped the nfo files with EmberMediaManager and double-checked that I use the exact same name for the tv show as it is used on thetvdb.com. But still xmbc does not find the file. As soon as I put the file in the root directory ("TV Shows" in the upper example) it is found correctly. It's the same with movies and also with music. If the file is in a subfolder => nope, if the same file is in the root directory => yay

I hope anybody can give me a hint what I am doing wrong...?

Some info on my system:
- Raspmbc 12.2
- Linux 3.6.11
- Video source is connected via HTTP (= an USB HDD connected to my Netgear N750 / WNDR4000)
- all wired connections (until now)
- I did NOT check that the video source contains only one tv show

thanks
There's nothing wrong with the folder structure in your example - that's exactly the structure I use.
Maybe a log will shed some light on it.
See: debug log (wiki)
okay, I will give you the log file, when I get home from work today.
Quote:If the file is in a subfolder => nope, if the same file is in the root directory => yay
Have you checked the Option "Scan recursive" while specifying the content of these folders? In the "Manage Source" section.
That wouldn't be an issue for the 'Game of Thrones' example above.
You need to use the IP address of the router, not routerlogin.com.
Hi, I tried the IP and I also tried the IP including the Port 80. But in both cases the same error.
I pasted another logfile with IP+Port: http://xbmclogs.com/show.php?id=20016

In this log-file I first had the GameOfThrones S03E01 in the correct subfolder and then I moved it to the root. As one can see in the log, it is detected correctly as soon as the file is in the root directory, but not if it is in the subfolders...

Is it possible that my HDD has something to do with it (trying to think outside the box Wink )? As I wrote it is a pretty normal Seagate HDD lying in an external HDD-case. This case is connected to my Router via USB and every PC in the network can access this HDD wihtout problems (either with IP or with the "share..."-URL)...But I feel that this is one of the "sorry dude, we can't help you"-cases Sad
huh, I figured it was an issue with the domain name resolving, but I guess not. Looks more like a permissions error with the HTTP server? Maybe there's some settings on the Netgear for this.
No, "unfortunately" the DNS works fine. I tried some other things to narrow down the source of the error: I connected the USB HDD directly to the raspberry and suddenly everything worked as excpected. So it has something to do with the router or the way the router handles the HDD. But what I do not understand is why every PC except the raspberry in the network can easily access the movie/tvshow folders/subfolders...
Some thoughts on this:

- It can't be folder rights, since I can see and navigate every folders of the HDD with both Windows and Android devices.
- Maybe it has something to do with the file system? The HDD is NTFS formatted. But if this was the reason, it wouldn't be found at all in the first place, right?...
- I looked into the router settings, but there are no more options I can set.

So as far as I can see, I have these options left to try out:
. I could switch from HTTP-sharing to FTP-sharing. But I dont really want that, since I don't think that FTP is the best protocol for streaming movies...
- I could install DD-WRT on my Router and see if I it has more settings regarding the access of the USB HDD

What do you guys think? Thanks for your help so far!
Hi, I finally got it to work!

Since I was pretty sure that it had something to do with the router software (after the things I tried before to find out what causes the error), I decided to give it a try with DD-WRT.
I installed it on my router following this guide: http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Netgear_WNDR4000

For those never heard of DD-WRT: Attention! Read everything it advance! It is very important that you choose the right files! Otherwise your router may become useless (yes, you can throw it away then). The guide above and especially the download links are ONLY valid for the Netgear WNDR4000! If you have another device, please use the router database of dd-wrt to find the correct files: http://www.dd-wrt.com/site/support/router-database

Also in my case it was significant to install the big-build. First I installed the mega-build, but it has no NTFS support...you find more information about this here: http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Wha...ed_Devices
After the big-build was finally running, I connected my HDD and set up a samba share following this youtube-video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kg9PigBJIBs

Attention again: By the time you read this post, the above youtube-video may have become incorrect, since dd-wrt is an evolving software! But you should get the idea what to do from the video.

With the samba share all set up, I started my xbmc again and added a new file source (smb://). Every files were immediately found and added to my library. Woohoo...three days of hacking came to a good end Smile
Thanks again for your help with this! I hope this post will help someone save some time Smile

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Only files in root are recognized0