Linux Radeon 7500: Frodo in Windows vs. Lubuntu
Heya,

I have long run XBMC Eden on Lubuntu 11.10 with complete reliability. I recently upgraded to 13.04, and Frodo. Frodo crashes on opening, 5 seconds into showing the black start up screen (error code in the log is "Program terminated with signal 11, Segmentation fault. 0x00007f9b0d9c36c7"). I understand the issue is my video card, a Radeon 7500, which is not supported from a hardware perspective.

However, I have installed Frodo successfully on Windows (same laptop) and it runs without any issues, suggesting that the hardware may not be supported, but can work. I would find it surprising if Windows were friendlier to old hardware than Lubuntu!

That makes me think that the issue is the video driver in Ubuntu. I have tried switching the opensource video driver to the proprietary fglrx, but then Frodo doesn't open at all, with a message box that I don't have hardware acceleration.So clearly, the opensource driver is closer to the truth, but not quite there...

Any thoughts on still extracting that bit of performance out of my old hardware to make XBMC run on Ubuntu? Happy to dump all the logs and sys infos that may be required.

Cheers!
Moved to Linux forum as the real issue seems to be 'AMD Radeon 7500 issues in Lubuntu'

Please read through this thread, I believe the issue is referenced there several times and has to do with fglrx driver changing in 13.04.
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=116996
Yep upgrading to 13.04 is a major error for amd users. Actually buying amd graphics is the first error.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Radeon 7500: Frodo in Windows vs. Lubuntu0