Microphone voice delay/lag and low volume (karaoke)
hi,

recently, i have given the microsoft music mixer microphone to a friend of mine, so he can use it with xbcm in karaoke mode. (we both use xbmc 7th nov 2005 version)

it seems to work, however, there are some things that bug me.

first of all, there is some sort of lag (delay).
i can understand that this is the best that currently can be done, so my questions are:
1) if the original microsoft app is used with mike, does this lag still exist?
2) i heard about headsets with a mike, for when using live and such, do they also have this lag?
(in other words, if in some situation this lag doesnt exist, then we know it can be fixed for xbmc aswell .... somehow ...)

secondly, the volume of the microphone is not so load.
the problem is that all the (karaoke) mp3's we have seem to differ very much in loadness. some for one song, the mike's volume is perfect, but for the other song the mike's volume is way too low.
(we use volume at 100% in settings)

can the volume be increased even more?
(i think this can be done in software)
or would it be possible to lower the mp3's volume (in respect to the mike's volume) ?

thanks for your thoughts in this.

regards
h2deetoo
yes the delay is in every version of karaoke i have tried. once you get used to it its not that bad. i use music mixer on my xbox at home for the kids. i think it is just the way ms set it up Sad as for volume there are many programs that will normalize volumes in mp3s. just search google. most of them will also allow you to set the volume you want, so you can lower it a tad and then adjust the mic in xbmc or other app.
i have noticed the same problems.

as for the delay, i think that is to reduce feedback (and does a good job of that too.

as for the volume, i guess i will have to try to do the normalization thingy (sucks). would be nice if xbmc could increase mic volume, (not just reduce it).
the volume issue has been resoleved!  i am running the t3ch xbmc cvs 2005-11-21.  when adjusting the volume with the right analoge stick (up/down), xbmc is only adjusting the volume of the music.  the microphone volume is left unchanged.  therefor, to increase the voulme of the mic, reduce the volume of the music using the right analoge stick, then increase the volume on your tv/sterio.  this is a slitly anoyoing multi-step meathod, but it works, and to my knowledge is the only way.

xbmc rocks!!! :bowdown:
thanks for the fix.
just curious how to change the volume using the remote?

rgs h2deetoo,
I have xbmm (retail) and the mic that came with it and there is no where near as much lag with the retail karaoke as there is on xbmc... is there any way this could be fixed?? It kinda sux- you don't notice it that much when you are singing, but it sounds terrible to listen to. I'd rather deal with avoiding feedback by keeping the volume reasonable and mic location etc than the delay. could there be a 'disable delay' option?
@Rudepooch, are you using the very latest XBMC CVS build?, because it sounds like you using a old one.

You can by the way edit the amount of "karaokesyncdelay" yourself via AdvancedSettings.xml Rofl
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
Big Grin 
Thanks so much- I am using the T3ch July 9th (ish) build (can't remember the exact day- but about that).

I will look for the settings in the manual! You guys rock! (Are there any gals doing coding?) Thanks!

edit: Does that adjust the mic delay or the audio to cdg delay??
The mic delay is the smallest it can be to my knowledge (around 20ms). Basically, the mic is read and output as quickly as it can be.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.

Question 
Ya that seems quick- too bad it sounds so bad though.

Is it just a matter of processing? I'm just curious, not that I think it can be fixed or anything. Why isn't there a delay on something like a PA? What causes the delay?

Like I said I am just curious, doesn't really matter why if nothing can be done, but if you feel like explaining it I'd like to understand it.

Thanks!
Just tried Konami's Karaoke Revolution, and indeed the microphone output is much faster than compared to xbmc's output.

I dont know what the problem is (because 20msec really is not slow), but the delay is there.

Rgs H2Deetoo,
So is it a bug or is it intentional? If it's intentional maybe there could be an option to disable the delay,.. if not amybe it could be fixed?
Obviously it's not intentional.

I reduced the delay to what I found was the minimal I could get it to (the 20ms)

Perhaps others may have more success. The code is all there to play with.

Is there anyone else that is interested in reducuing the mic delay in xbmc? I would happily do it if I had any clue how.
I would be interested. Has anyone sucessfully adjusted the mic delay with advanced settings and if so - what worked best? Thanks.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Microphone voice delay/lag and low volume (karaoke)0