• 6(current)
Release SteamBMC - Launch and play Steam games from XBMC (v1.0.0, buggy but works)
Seems like I'll need to catch that if that happens (I'll make a note to add it in a future version), for now, please re-scan and try again.
OK it finished and I can see my game list.
I have enabled poke steam when addon launches because otherwise when I quit a game, it only returns to xbmc if I also kill steam from ssh.

I tried to play a game, and when the game loads, I get a popup saying:
failed to start game (app already running).
(the game is still running correctly behind the popup)

If I disable poke steam then I don't get this error from steam, but the game does not quit correctly as said before.
I'm gone for the weekend. I'll have a look at this in a couple of days.
Try selecting XBMC minimise on game launch, this may work better.
I tried to investigate a little, and it seems that xbmc is launching the game twice.

So I created a startup script for advanced launcher in order to have a working reference point.

Note that steam is running already in the background.

Code:
#!/bin/bash

# start this script with gameid url of steam.
# for example: ./this-script.bsh steam://rungameid/123123
# I don't know if all sleeps are required yet. Some of them are essential though

# lock the script to avoid launching the game more than one time; xbmc starts it twice
lockfile -r 0 /tmp/steam-start-game.lock || exit 1
echo "Starting game $1 at $(date)" >> /tmp/xbmc-startup-script.log

# avoid launching this or other games by mistake using a gamepad or the keyboard; XBMC is still catching input events
sleep 1
kill -STOP $(pgrep xbmc\.bin)
sleep 1

# start game; this goes to background by default
steam $1
sleep 1

# wait for the game to launch before waiting for it to shutdown
# if we don't wait for it to launch then the script will exit prematurely
count=0
do_exit=0
while [ "$(ps -ef | grep SteamApps | grep bash | awk -F\/ '{print $NF}')X" == "X" ]; do
    sleep 1
    count=$(($count+1))
    # exit after 4 seconds
    if [ $count -ge 5 ]; then
        do_exit=1
        break
    fi
done

if [ $do_exit -eq 1 ]; then
    exit 1
fi

while [ ! "$(ps -ef | grep SteamApps | grep bash | awk -F\/ '{print $NF}')X" == "X" ]; do
    sleep 1
done

# resume xbmc
kill -CONT $(pgrep xbmc\.bin)

# release lock
echo "Finished game $1 at $(date)" >> /tmp/xbmc-startup-script.log
rm -f /tmp/steam-start-game.lock
I don't understand how XBMC launches the game twice, I am not having that issue on Ubuntu 12.04. Would you like me to try including that script in a future release? Meanwhile, I'd like some suggestions/bug reports on the folder management and database, a fairly significant change.
On Ubuntu I keep getting an error of "Remote Share - Could not connect to network server" when I try to start SteamBMC. Here is the xbmc.log content

Code:
15:02:26 T:2785549120  NOTICE: SteamBMC (SteamBMC) Version 1.0.8
15:02:26 T:2785549120  NOTICE: Our CMD : {'do': ['refresh_games']}
15:02:26 T:2785549120  NOTICE: Our ARGV: ['plugin://plugin.programs.steambmcdev/', '-1', '?do=refresh_games']
15:02:26 T:2785549120   ERROR: EXCEPTION Thrown (PythonToCppException) : -->Python callback/script returned the following error<--
                                             - NOTE: IGNORING THIS CAN LEAD TO MEMORY LEAKS!
                                            Error Type: <type 'exceptions.TypeError'>
                                            Error Contents: not all arguments converted during string formatting
                                            Traceback (most recent call last):
                                              File "/home/user/.xbmc/addons/plugin.programs.steambmcdev/default.py", line 184, in <module>
                                                xbmc.log("SQLite3 initialised" % sys.argv, xbmc.LOGNOTICE)
                                            TypeError: not all arguments converted during string formatting
                                            -->End of Python script error report<--

Commenting out the offending line fixed it
I just wanted to say thank you. I really dig this add-on and I can't wait for it to go live. I'm using v1.0.8 and it's great. I've been waiting for something like this! I'm very much looking forward to your continued development.
(2013-08-04, 00:05)drivesoslow Wrote: On Ubuntu I keep getting an error of "Remote Share - Could not connect to network server" when I try to start SteamBMC. Here is the xbmc.log content

Code:
15:02:26 T:2785549120  NOTICE: SteamBMC (SteamBMC) Version 1.0.8
15:02:26 T:2785549120  NOTICE: Our CMD : {'do': ['refresh_games']}
15:02:26 T:2785549120  NOTICE: Our ARGV: ['plugin://plugin.programs.steambmcdev/', '-1', '?do=refresh_games']
15:02:26 T:2785549120   ERROR: EXCEPTION Thrown (PythonToCppException) : -->Python callback/script returned the following error<--
                                             - NOTE: IGNORING THIS CAN LEAD TO MEMORY LEAKS!
                                            Error Type: <type 'exceptions.TypeError'>
                                            Error Contents: not all arguments converted during string formatting
                                            Traceback (most recent call last):
                                              File "/home/user/.xbmc/addons/plugin.programs.steambmcdev/default.py", line 184, in <module>
                                                xbmc.log("SQLite3 initialised" % sys.argv, xbmc.LOGNOTICE)
                                            TypeError: not all arguments converted during string formatting
                                            -->End of Python script error report<--

Commenting out the offending line fixed it

Whoops. Error on my part. You can delete % sys.argv ... I'll fix it in a later release.
hi there, i'm getting an error if i try to start your addon under xbmcbuntu xbmc Frodo

Script-Error - plugin.programs.steambmcdev...

also, where do i have to point to the binary folder?
~/.local/share/Steam ?

thanks for the development!
(2013-08-19, 22:02)john.doe Wrote: hi there, i'm getting an error if i try to start your addon under xbmcbuntu xbmc Frodo

Script-Error - plugin.programs.steambmcdev...

also, where do i have to point to the binary folder?
~/.local/share/Steam ?

thanks for the development!

Please post xbmc.log

Steam for Linux field should be auto filled but if not /usr/bin/steam is the typical location for Ubuntu.
Hi there, got a few questions

Im running aeon nox on xbmc gotham alpha 7 on a windows 8 machine.

Is it within the scope of this addon to launch non steam games that have been added to the steam library? Currently its not doing this for me unless im doing something wrong. I only actually currently have one native steam game which is call of duty black ops. This game is showing in steambmc but im not getting any artwork for it at all? I've tried reseting cache.

Thanks for your development of this add-on, its got the potential to be the answer that i think a lot of people have been waiting for Smile

Edit: Looking into it a bit more the addon is calling the artwork up as it should its just that the artwork that has been downloaded to the cache folder is blank?? If i delete them and refresh the the cache it just puts blank/black artworks back in there again.
(2013-09-06, 01:22)huzz456 Wrote: Is it within the scope of this addon to launch non steam games that have been added to the steam library? Currently its not doing this for me unless im doing something wrong.

Not yet... it's a potential future feature though it is on the bottom of the priorities list. I'm not sure how to make it integrate well with the artwork system.

(2013-09-06, 01:22)huzz456 Wrote: I only actually currently have one native steam game which is call of duty black ops. This game is showing in steambmc but im not getting any artwork for it at all? I've tried reseting cache.

Thanks for your development of this add-on, its got the potential to be the answer that i think a lot of people have been waiting for Smile

Edit: Looking into it a bit more the addon is calling the artwork up as it should its just that the artwork that has been downloaded to the cache folder is blank?? If i delete them and refresh the the cache it just puts blank/black artworks back in there again.

Turn off "add transparent borders"; it's very broken and due to be removed, as it is unnecessary for most skins.
This is an awesome add-on, and I have a few questions: I run XBMC on Linux as a user-session, and there seems to be some trouble launching a game in this scenario. "Minimize XBMC" sometimes works, but when I quit the game XBMC doesn't come back properly, "Quit XBMC" quits the user session and then asks me to log-in, and "Do Nothing" gives me a black screen. Is there a way to make this work in a XBMC user session situation?

Thanks for any help you can provide.
(2013-09-09, 01:26)DataFran Wrote: This is an awesome add-on, and I have a few questions: I run XBMC on Linux as a user-session, and there seems to be some trouble launching a game in this scenario. "Minimize XBMC" sometimes works, but when I quit the game XBMC doesn't come back properly, "Quit XBMC" quits the user session and then asks me to log-in, and "Do Nothing" gives me a black screen. Is there a way to make this work in a XBMC user session situation?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Does such a user session allow you to launch a program other than XBMC? I have only tested it thoroughly on normal Ubuntu (as a typical user launching it manually or automatically.) Is there any way you could perhaps wrap the XBMC launch into a separate shell script which looks to see if XBMC has quit and then relaunched it? I did have some problems getting the programs to cooperate as they both want fullscreen context. Try using "fullscreen as window mode" too.
Launching a program other than XBMC: It seems to technically, because Steam launches, it just behaves strangely and doesn't really know what to do with the various windows (it doesn't load a window manager, which may be the root of many of the problems)

I've heard there are similar issues with some emulators launching "under" XBMC. Gonna do some more reading along those lines and see what I can learn.

Thanks for your reply!
  • 6(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
SteamBMC - Launch and play Steam games from XBMC (v1.0.0, buggy but works)0