• 7(current)
Release SteamBMC - Launch and play Steam games from XBMC (v1.0.0, buggy but works)
Would adding something like the what is suggested in Post 3 here: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=147415 be possible? Seems like it wouldn't be too difficult, and would possibly solve the problem in cases like mine.

I'd be happy to help test if you want.
You could replace the "/usr/bin/steam" parameter (Steam binary) with a shell script of yours.

The shell script could simply be:

Code:
#!/bin/bash
startx
/usr/bin/steam "$@"
killall Xorg -SIGKILL

Of course replace startx / killall Xorg with appropriate window manager.
This looks like an excellent addon. I really like the idea of it, especially being able to organise games how I want them - something which steam itself (including big picture mode) is very bad at.

When I ran it for the first time (v1.0.8), I got a message, "Cannot6 locate steam at C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steam.exe"
I have steam installed to a custom location: G:\steam\steam.exe, but I had already entered that in the steam binary location box.

I'm now waiting on it scanning my games library which may take a while... Smile

Suggestion: update the first post in this thread with the current version of the script.

Edit: When it finished scanning the games, I tried running one and of course it failed, with no error. I opened settings and found steam folder was listed as program files; so my guess is on first scan, it gets changed to the default even if you have entered a custom location first.
I changed the steam location in settings to the correct location, and this time successfully ran a game.
I shut XBMC down, then started it up again, and opened the addon - and it started scanning the entire games list again.

I then installed this addon on to my Media Centre PC (above test was on desktop) and hit another problem.
Steam is set to start in offline mode, and so pops up a dialog on launch - "do you want to start in oline mode or offline mode". Your addon doesn't account for that, and games wont run until one of those choices is made (the dialog may be behind xbmc, and so it wont always be apparent why games aren't loading.)

I experienced the same problem here- each time i relaunched xbmc, the addon needed to scan all 396 games again. That makes this addon a non-starter for me. I hope you can fix that.
I found out what the problem was in my previous post: changing the "checking for new games" setting from the default of "1 hour" to "Manual" stopped it scanning for games on every restart.

The addon's scan shouldn't scan for games that have already been added. It takes too long.

Another issue: I started moving games into folders, and quickly discovered that this created duplicates of each game launcher. The launchers in the root folder did not get removed. Is there a way to remove them from the root automatically when you copy them into a folder?
I'm working on fixing the scan games problem, bugs me too (now I have put it on my HTPC and am using it.) It's downloading the descriptions and win/linux/mac info for every game no matter if it is updated or old or new. I need to change that so it ignores games it already has info for which should bring start up time below 2 seconds, even if it does update the library. It seems to miscalculate the update time too -- maybe a problem with the file touch mode of tracking update times. I'll see what I can do for a 1.0.9 to fix it.

Since SteamBMC is still very much in development, I want people to read through the bugs lists, fixes, experiences of other users rather than thinking it's a finished product, which is why I haven't updated the first post. Right now, things may break or change. Always backup the games db if you make a lot of changes or you may lose them.

The other bug isn't a bug, it's intentional. The launchers can be placed once in each folder and in as many folders as you like. You can delete them manually if you like. Maybe I can tie it into a "del" key to speed up the process though, or create a copy-and-delete option (sort of like move, but it would only move the current item not all items.)
Regarding updating the first post: the problem there is, I read through the 10-page thread, reached the end, then went back to the first post to get the download. Then realised that wasn't the latest version, and had to scan through the entire thread again to find where the latest download was. I don't think you should force your users to do that. Keeping up on updates will be a pain, too, if not scanning the thread regularly.

I'm pleased to hear you're fixing the scan games problem. I have tried many ways of loading steam games from XBMC (Advanced Launcher, Steam Launcher, hacking xml to give insert links to game executables, etc), and your addon is by far my favourite way to launch games, so I cant wait for it to mature.

I am having a problem on my desktop. When trying to create a folder, it says "Parent folder does not exist, this is probably a bug". So I haven't managed to create a folder. On my htpc, it worked fine.

I like the idea of making the deleting games easier, though possibly some kind of error check might be handy to make sure that a copy of the game exists in a folder somewhere, and if you are going to be deleting the last copy of a game's launcher, pop up a warning message: "No other copies of this launcher exist. Are you sure you want to delete it?"

Will you be able to batch move groups of games into a folder in one go?

XBMCs Tags for movies has an interesting feature: when you have created a video tag, and want to add movies to it you can do it this way:
* select the tag under Video -> Movies -> Tags
* select a tag and use context menu, then select Add Movies

It brings up a list of all movies, and those already assigned to that tag are bolded. You scroll through the list and press enter/ok on any movie, and it adds it to the tag. If you hit enter on a movie already in the tag, it unbolds it and removes it from the tag.

An interface like this would be handy for organising games into folders, so you could do batches of them at once.
I am trying to get this set up on my windows 8 PC, but I am running into an error, which puts this into the log:

Code:
21:05:03 T:4396   ERROR: EXCEPTION Thrown (PythonToCppException) : -->Python callback/script returned the following error<--
                                             - NOTE: IGNORING THIS CAN LEAD TO MEMORY LEAKS!
                                            Error Type: <type 'exceptions.ImportError'>
                                            Error Contents: No module named BeautifulSoup
                                            Traceback (most recent call last):
                                              File "C:\Users\edwinc\AppData\Roaming\XBMC\addons\plugin.programs.steambmcdev\default.py", line 23, in <module>
                                                import steamapi, winutils, multiutils, gamesdb
                                              File "C:\Users\edwinc\AppData\Roaming\XBMC\addons\plugin.programs.steambmcdev\steamapi.py", line 33, in <module>
                                                from BeautifulSoup import BeautifulSoup
                                            ImportError: No module named BeautifulSoup
                                            -->End of Python script error report<--

It seems like there is a python module missing, but I didn't see anything in the intall instructions about installing any. This is the first time I have tried installing an add-on like this into XBMC, so I am really not sure about what I am doing...
And now a day or two later, without me changing anything, everything seems to be working just fine. So...I'm not touching it.
When i try to load steambmc (after setting my username) it throws an error...

Code:
18:39:41 T:516  NOTICE: -->Python Interpreter Initialized<--
18:39:41 T:516  NOTICE: SteamBMC (SteamBMC) Version 1.0.0
18:39:42 T:516   ERROR: EXCEPTION Thrown (PythonToCppException) : -->Python callback/script returned the following error<--
                                             - NOTE: IGNORING THIS CAN LEAD TO MEMORY LEAKS!
                                            Error Type: <class 'xml.sax._exceptions.SAXParseException'>
                                            Error Contents: <unknown>:21:88: not well-formed (invalid token)
                                            Traceback (most recent call last):
                                              File "C:\Users\xbmc\AppData\Roaming\XBMC\addons\plugin.programs.steambmcdev\default.py", line 99, in <module>
                                                ifc.getOwnedGames(prog_callback=progress)
                                              File "C:\Users\xbmc\AppData\Roaming\XBMC\addons\plugin.programs.steambmcdev\steamapi.py", line 329, in getOwnedGames
                                                xml.sax.parseString(data, sax_engine)
                                              File "C:\Program Files (x86)\XBMC\system\python\Lib\xml\sax\__init__.py", line 49, in parseString
                                                parser.parse(inpsrc)
                                              File "C:\Program Files (x86)\XBMC\system\python\Lib\xml\sax\expatreader.py", line 107, in parse
                                                xmlreader.IncrementalParser.parse(self, source)
                                              File "C:\Program Files (x86)\XBMC\system\python\Lib\xml\sax\xmlreader.py", line 123, in parse
                                                self.feed(buffer)
                                              File "C:\Program Files (x86)\XBMC\system\python\Lib\xml\sax\expatreader.py", line 211, in feed
                                                self._err_handler.fatalError(exc)
                                              File "C:\Program Files (x86)\XBMC\system\python\Lib\xml\sax\handler.py", line 38, in fatalError
                                                raise exception
                                            SAXParseException: <unknown>:21:88: not well-formed (invalid token)
                                            -->End of Python script error report<--
18:39:42 T:3704   ERROR: XFILE::CDirectory::GetDirectory - Error getting plugin://plugin.programs.steambmcdev/
18:39:42 T:3704   ERROR: CGUIMediaWindow::GetDirectory(plugin://plugin.programs.steambmcdev/) failed

I've traced this down to the steam API. when steambmc tries to access the steamcommunity page to get the game list (http://steamcommunity.com/id/smokes2345/...=all&xml=1) the actual page returned is simply 'http://steamcommunity.com/id/smokes2345' and is returned as html, not xml as the url in your code requests. i'm assuming the page the script is trying to access is the page that is loaded in the steam client when clicking on the 'library' tab or some equivalent. if that's the case, the issue might be resolvable by setting certain http headers, but i have no idea what the steam api looks like and you've probably already run into this in some form.
It would be awesome if it could launch Origin games as well. I hate that EA uses their own site, would prefer to keep everything within Steam Sad
Request. Could it also work with a private profile URL?

It's possible with the WebAPI key https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki...28v0001.29 .
To detect locally installed games you could use the .ACF .GCF, or .NCF files that steam uses. Which contain a bunch of information but you would only need the name to keep track of them amongst the total over all games (minus DLC which is in the file) since its naming scheme is appmanifest_{appid}. Also think it would be pretty cool to have it so xbmc profile where steam profiles an displayed their name an information but that'd probably take a bit more integration.
Not working for me. Won't pull up any of my games.

edit: Ok I got it to work, but It doesn't look like the OPs. Mines is just in list form and doesn't give me a option to make it like the OPs.
I wonder if this is still under active development.
I found one simple bug that's very easy to reproduce:
If you attempt to launch the plugin without first going into settings, it fails due to an unhandled exception that occurs when attempting to open the non-existent database file. Seems like an exception handler could be used to launch the settings page when this occurs.

I'm not able to successfully scan my entire library in before it dies.
It seems to be hitting some sort of "time out" error, which doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me.
If this isn't under active development I'll see what I can do about fixing it up. My goal is to be able to have a nice browser / launcher for my PC game library, which is almost entirely stuff in Steam.
I'd really like to either get this working, or figure out a way to use something like this to "Export" my Steam Library into Advanced Launcher.
Catchy Signature Here
Good evening,

since this isn't in active development anymore, I took the sceptre and started developing on this addon.

I've setup a repository for development builds (which I consider "stable" to use), you can add it via this addon: https://github.com/Leandros/XBMC-Reposit...-1.0.0.zip

Source for the addon is located on Github: https://github.com/Leandros/SteamBMC

Any help is highly appreciated.
Thanks a lot.
  • 7(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
SteamBMC - Launch and play Steam games from XBMC (v1.0.0, buggy but works)0