IR-Trans remote repeats too fast
Hi there.

As I told in another thread, I've got a new HTPC-case for my xbmc (OrigenAe S10V)

I got my remote to work by installing the irtrans linux software and start the server by editing the rc.loca with this line:

Code:
/usr/local/irtrans/irserver -xbmc /dev/ttyUSB0

With this, my remote works in XBMC. I don't need a startup script, so far.

But now, every time if I press a single button on my remote, XBMC recognizes 2 buttons. That means, it makes always two steps in menus etc.

I removed lirc and play around with "remotedelay" and "remoterepeat" in the advancedsettings.xml and it looks like this now (it's a fresh XBMC install...so the this file isn't configured well at this time Wink ):

Code:
david@david-xbmc-origen:~$ cat /home/david/.xbmc/userdata/advancedsettings.xml
<advancedsettings>
  <useddsfanart>true</useddsfanart>
  <cputempcommand>cputemp</cputempcommand>
  <gputempcommand>gputemp</gputempcommand>
  <remotedelay>5</remotedelay>
  <remoterepeat>5</remoterepeat>
  <samba>
    <clienttimeout>30</clienttimeout>
  </samba>
  <network>
    <disableipv6>true</disableipv6>
  </network>
</advancedsettings>

Is there any way to get this managed? How is it possible that xbmc only makes one step while pressing a single button ("left" in example)?

Thanks in advance

David
nobody?!
Is this a Logitech Harmony remote you're using?

If so, change the delay related settings in the software for that...works much better doing it that way Wink

If it's not a harmony, can't help ya as you've already listed the delay switches that I would advise to change, I don't think there are any other settings you can change on the linux side.
Hi robo...

thanks for your reply. In the end, I want to use a harmony remote (MX1000).

I played around with the delay settings in the harmony software without any luck

I just find out another solution, but it doesn't work properly. IR-Trans is able to learn every remote code you can give and it can be set to any signal or function you like. So i took my old mce-remote and learned some codes via irclient. In IR-Client I took the option "4" ...."learn button with timing". After learning some buttons an configuring the "apps.cfg" to match the new "remote.rem" I got a nearly flawless remote. Only the "OK" Button doesn't work. But that might be another problem.

I'll gonna post a complete "How-To" if everything is working like a charm. It seems like that ther are not many people in here, who are able to help.

Cheers
David
Sounds interesting, look forward to it.

Remote delays from universal remotes are a massively annoying problem! Smile
Got this working now...

But not the way, I descriped above.

I changed the line in the rc.local to:

Code:
/usr/local/irtrans/irserver -daemon /dev/ttyUSB0

(maybe I will use a start-up script in the near future, but it works)

Then I copied all the *.rem files to another directory except of the the "mediacenter.rem"-file and the "apps.cfg". After this I created a "Lircmap.xml" in ~/.xbmc/userdata/ which matches with the excisting "mediacenter.rem"-file.

And now...everything works like a charm. Even my harmony remote works properly by taking the OrigenAE Case from the database. Okay...pressing multiple buttons (left in example) seems to be a bit too slow, but that´s ok. I also removed the "remotedelay" and "remoterepeat"-lines in the advancedsettings.xml.

I don´t know why it works now, and I don´t know if it is caused by the Lircmap.xml, but it´s fine now. I think the "-xbmc"-option doesn´t work properly, so it should work with the irserver-software and not with the complete package. But the complete package is easy to install and messing around with things, that don´t work out-of-the-box is fun, if you get them to work in the end Wink

Cheers
David
-xbmc start a plugin in irtrans witch connects to xbmc like applications do (e.g phone remote app)
the buttons will be submitted once via plugin and once with the "normal"method
if you add -no_lirc to irtrans options the normal way will be disabled
the problem with that: only xbmc will work with IR

so I am using it the same way you do: without -xbmc
and I too have the slowness problem you mentioned...when i press down 6 times it will only do 2 or 3
did you happen to find any way to make that better?
Hi homi,

no...i didn´t found a solution for this. Mostly I take "yatse" with my smartphone to control XBMC. The Harmony works fine, but the slowness problem still exists.

Maybe it will work better with a startup script, but I don´t think so. It works (not as good as it should do) and you know...never touch a running system Big Grin Wink
Hi all,

possibly someone can help me out. I'm totally lost with that irtrans and very diapointed with the documentation you can find on irtrans.de. For such a expensive device ...

What i do not not really understand is: LIRC and Irserver on the same system do not work together. So I diabled lirc and followed exactly the guide here:

http://www.redeo.nl/2010/05/harmony-one-...on-ubuntu/

I can start the irserver with: sudo /usr/local/irtrans/irserver64 -loglevel 4 -debug_code /dev/ttyUSB0

and get an output when pressing a key on my remote. That works

But: There is no output to XBMC.

When starting with: sudo /usr/local/irtrans/irserver64 -xbmc -loglevel 4 -debug_code /dev/ttyUSB0

Then the remote works but: each time you restart XBMC you have every key recognized two times unless you restart the whole system.

I've tried for hours now but always the same. I think there's a bug within thr Irserver xbmc plugin

So is there another way to use the integraded XBMC plugin. I saw an option with no_lirc but it doesn't change anything.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks a lot

Alex
xbmc can use irserver without the -xbmc switch (which activates the xbmc plugin)
but for that to work you need to set up Lircmap.xml to match the buttons defined in the irtrans .rem file to xbmc buttons which are then bound to actions in the remote.xml
@alex.ba: I might have an explanation I had to go through an extra step to make XBMC listen to the LIRC server created by irserver.

I started irserver with lirc, but without xbmc plugin using:
/usr/local/irtrans/irserver /dev/ttyUSB0
and then started LIRC on /dev/lircd, but it didn't work because XBMC looks for /var/run/lirc/lircd, so I had to do:
mkdir -p "/var/run/lirc"
ln -s -f /dev/lircd /var/run/lirc/lircd
before starting XBMC. Then I could see the keypresses on XBMC's debug output and configure the remote in Lircmap.xml

That works, but I still have the same slowness problem as everyone else... Has anyone found a solution?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
IR-Trans remote repeats too fast0