Please help finish this HTPC build
Looking to build a category 6/7 HTPC - Running windows 7 home premium only because of netflix. this is not possible with openelec right?

HTPC goals: small profile, low power, quiet, futureproof
-Stream Netflix 1080p, Hulu plus 1080p, amazon prime hd, HBOgo, showtime anyime, NHL gamecenter live, NBC sports (for hockey)
-Play BluRay and 1080p movies
-Bitstream audio (DTS-MA & Dolby TrueHD)
-Run Spotify

Processor $120
Intel Core i3-3225 Ivy Bridge 3.3GHz LGA 1155 Dual-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 4000 BX806237i33225

Motherboard $55
ASRock Intel H77 H77M-ITX

Memory $45
Crucial Ballistix 8GB sport DDR3-1600 - single stick

SSD $80
Samsung 840 Series 120GB

Windows 7 Home Premium $76

Case
Need a recommendation - is fanless worth it? if so, what is recommended. do i need a fan with this setup?

Power Supply
Need a recommendation

BluRay
Need a recommendation

Any limitations to this system? Will be building a NAS in future. Gave up on cablecard/PVR since it may be too much of a hassle with TWC service
Any suggestions appreciated.

I'm at $376 without the case, power supply, and BD-ROM

Thanks!
Lots of nice mini-ITX cases here. These come with power supplies and there's a good blu-ray ODD option available.

You can make a very quiet i3-3225 HTPC without going fanless. We use the Dynatron T459 for mini-ITX builds and it when turned down it's super-quiet (level 3 or 4 in an ASRock BIOS).
I realize that I keep wavering in my goals.

If I complete the HTPC with a mini-ITX box with Blu-Ray drive for playback and ripping, I plan on relying on a NAS for storage of these ripped files as well as my other media and occasionally writing to bluray disc.

Looking forward though, I don't have a wired apartment. This would mean that I would need to have the NAS and HTPC directly connected to the router all located near my TV right?

1. Is the NAS going to be very loud if it runs 24/7
-is there a way around having both the HTPC and NAS connected to the single router? Both seem to need the speed of a wired connection.
2. Is having the bluray reader in the HTPC and having bluray writer on the NAS redundant?

Doug:
Which case in particular (E-i7 or E-i7n)?
What power supply is needed for this setup 60W, 84W, or 120W.
And just one of the Dynatron fans should suffice?
Do I need to get an IR receiver for these cases?

If you think a whole different setup would be better for my goals, I'm all ears.

Thanks much!

(2013-05-19, 17:26)Dougie Fresh Wrote: Lots of nice mini-ITX cases here. These come with power supplies and there's a good blu-ray ODD option available.

You can make a very quiet i3-3225 HTPC without going fanless. We use the Dynatron T459 for mini-ITX builds and it when turned down it's super-quiet (level 3 or 4 in an ASRock BIOS).
tufts0207 I've got the E-i7 case and It's great very happy with the purchase. I almost have the same build as you. ASrock H77M-ITX, i3 3225. Awesome build very happy with it. I've got the stock cooler and its pretty good. Have it set on fan speed 7 in the Bios and runs around 1550 RPM its relatively quite. actually can't hear it at all.
I have 1 Noctua NF-R8 PWM 80mm case fan blowing in. Have that running at 1500 RPM, and at all seriousness I can't hear the HTPC at all from the couch. (sitting around 3 meters away) CPU temps while playing a 1080p movie sits around 45 degrees c, Mobo temps around 35 degrees c. CPU is barely working.
You should buy two sticks of ram at 1600 and have them running in dual channel. 8GB is more than enough I have dedicated 1GB ram to the onboard GPU in the bios. Runs every thing like a dream. windows boots and XMBC starts round in 30 seconds or less (haven't actually timed it).
I have a 1 3.5 2TB HDD and with that installed i have around 4mm clearance between the HDD and the CPU fan. But it fits and runs fine. Check out my HTPC build thread to find out more it has photos of the case and parts installed. http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=162774
Thanks for that info. If I plan on having an optical drive and just the SSD can I get away with the 84W or do you think I need to go with the 120W PSU?
Will I have room for an aftermarket fan? Is this in addition to the stock cooler?
You think I should return the 8GB stick and get 2x4GB? I was thinking I might be ripping BluRays and might need the extra RAM to be able to watch media at the same time.
I was hoping to have most of my stored data on a NAS eventually. On the occasion that I need to burn something to BluRay, I should be able to use this HTPC to do so right?

Thanks again!
- The HT-80 comes with a 84W power supply which is plenty for the i3-3225 with SSD and ODD. Watching videos you'll use around 30W. If you were to max out the system it would use around 60W.

- None of the mini-ITX cases will run cool. They will all run warm. However, that is well within tolerance and it's the tradeoff you make to get small and quiet. With mini-ITX you have to have a different mindset that you're not going to get a few degrees above ambient. Don't worry if you see it running at 50C. That's totally expected and fine as long as it's quiet.

- You can definitely use your HTPC to rip blu-rays and then move them to your NAS.

- The E-i7 is a bigger case that you can fit a bigger cooler in and it has a low-profile expansion slot. Which to get depends on your taste and what you want to put in your PC now and in the future. For what you are describing the HT-80 is great choice.

- The HT-80 comes with a power supply, US power cord, case fan, screws and cable ties, IR receiver and remote.. You just need the motherboard, CPU, low-profile CPU cooler, memory and storage (SSD recommended). It's a good idea to get a wireless keyboard as well.

- Something to know is the H77M-ITX has only one USB header so if you want to use the front USB ports on the HT-80 and the included USB internal IR receiver you'll need a different motherboard such as the Intel DH77DF. Or, you can replace the IR receiver with an ASRock CIR receiver. The price comes out about the same either way. I think the Intel DH77DF is a better motherboard and it has one extra nice feature great for HTPC: you can set the LED to turn off when the PC is sleeping. You'd be surprised how bring a blinking LED is at night.

- If you can get the low-profile version of that memory it will help with cabling.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Please help finish this HTPC build0