Ouya, XBMC and cmyth - choppy video
It surely is madness as well as maddening.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
The other maddening thing is that US over-the-air TV is in MPEG-2 instead of h.264. I think choosing the latter would have saved heartache for a lot of people...
that is exactly the issue I am facing when trying to stream from my tv tuner to the OUYA. XBMC and the NPVR plugin work wonderfully, just the video is extremely choppy due to software being used to decode/render it instead of the proper hardware.
(2013-10-26, 22:12)321liftoff Wrote: The other maddening thing is that US over-the-air TV is in MPEG-2 instead of h.264. I think choosing the latter would have saved heartache for a lot of people...

H264 was hardly viable when the US was setting up digital TV. Switching is difficult once a standard is established.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Switching anything in the US is difficult lol, how many years has it been since switching to metric was discussed?
(2013-10-26, 22:14)elmcguinness Wrote: that is exactly the issue I am facing when trying to stream from my tv tuner to the OUYA. XBMC and the NPVR plugin work wonderfully, just the video is extremely choppy due to software being used to decode/render it instead of the proper hardware.

Well if you insist on using ouya, you could transcode to h264.
Unfortunately my pc is not up to that challenge, it is a low power atom PC :-) I'll just hope they go the way of the Pi and offer a license. I posted a support ticket about it and will wait to see what they say. I really just hate to see an avenue close for this device when it is not really a big problem to fix on their side.

If not this will be my only OUYA and I will have to look elsewhere for a mediacenter device for the rest of my family.
Any response from Ouya? There seems to be good hope with the CuBox-i devices...
I've posted this as an issue with Ouya but the issue just gets robo-closed with a "sorry, we are swamped so we are just dumping your issue" message. If they had solid netflix, hulu, and myth support I would have loved it.
A shame, really; especially since you were one of the first to get the device by supporting kickstarter. As much as it sucks for you, it's a definite signal to the rest of the community to look elsewhere for a device to play recorded TV in the USA.
Silicondust now has a H.264 encoded OTA/Clear QAM tuner and I suspect next year they'll be coming out with a H.264 cablecard version. So rather than transcoding to H.264 which would be very CPU intensive, it would just natively stream it.
I just side-loaded Amazon's play store and then loaded the netflix app. It works great. All of xbmc works well except for mpeg2 (so HDTV). Sooooo close!
Get your TV company to get with the programme and broadcast h.264!
+1 affected by no MPEG2 Hardware decoding on the Ouya
Ugh, I was just getting ready to get an Ouya for XBMC and MythTV Live Video. Looks like I will go with the Pivos XIOS DS instead. Been playing with other cheap android sticks hoping for a cheap solution for the kids play room and the other guest bedrooms.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Ouya, XBMC and cmyth - choppy video0