Ouya, XBMC and cmyth - choppy video
These are the codecs shipping with Ouya (hardware accelerated)
<MediaCodec name="OMX.Nvidia.mp4.decode" type="video/mp4v-es" />
<MediaCodec name="OMX.Nvidia.h263.decode" type="video/3gpp" />
<MediaCodec name="OMX.Nvidia.h264.decode" type="video/avc" />
<MediaCodec name="OMX.Nvidia.mp3.decoder" type="audio/mpeg" />
<MediaCodec name="OMX.Nvidia.mp3.decoder" type="audio/mpeg-L2" />
<MediaCodec name="OMX.Nvidia.eaacp.decoder" type="audio/mp4a-latm" />
<MediaCodec name="OMX.Nvidia.wma.decoder" type="audio/x-ms-wma" />
<MediaCodec name="OMX.Nvidia.vc1.decode" type="video/x-ms-wmv" />
<MediaCodec name="OMX.Nvidia.mjpeg.decoder" type="video/mjpeg" />
<MediaCodec name="OMX.Nvidia.h264.decode.secure" type="video/avc" />

<MediaCodec name="OMX.google.mp3.decoder" type="audio/mpeg" />
<MediaCodec name="OMX.google.amrnb.decoder" type="audio/3gpp" />
<MediaCodec name="OMX.google.amrwb.decoder" type="audio/amr-wb" />
<MediaCodec name="OMX.google.aac.decoder" type="audio/mp4a-latm" />
<MediaCodec name="OMX.google.g711.alaw.decoder" type="audio/g711-alaw" />
<MediaCodec name="OMX.google.g711.mlaw.decoder" type="audio/g711-mlaw" />
<MediaCodec name="OMX.google.vorbis.decoder" type="audio/vorbis" />

<MediaCodec name="OMX.google.mpeg4.decoder" type="video/mp4v-es" />
<MediaCodec name="OMX.google.h263.decoder" type="video/3gpp" />
<MediaCodec name="OMX.google.h264.decoder" type="video/avc" />
<MediaCodec name="OMX.google.vpx.decoder" type="video/x-vnd.on2.vp8" />

obviously no mpeg2...
Any updates on mpeg2 decoding?
I was asked to test it on VLC but I haven't had time. As of today mpeg2 (HD) sucks too much cpu and skips frames.
(2013-10-01, 04:49)DeweyOxberger Wrote: I was asked to test it on VLC but I haven't had time. As of today mpeg2 (HD) sucks too much cpu and skips frames.

Are you going to test it on VLC to see if it's an issue with mythtv instead of a hardware issue? That would be a good test.

I see we both posted on the Ouya forum that you started:

http://forums.ouya.tv/discussion/2535/ou...re-support

I'm shocked that others aren't chiming in, wanting MPEG2 decoding to play HD content smoothly.
I'm not sure how it could be a mythtv problem. Myth simply records the stream sent by the broadcaster. If ouya doesn't have a hardware mpeg2 decoder, it's nothing to do with mythtv.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
The lack of a MPEG2 decoder is a shame, as the recent CuBox-i devices do support it and will provide unnecessary competition to the Ouya.
Just out of curiosity, is this a libstagefront issue or some OUYA issue? According to NVIDIA the Tegra3 does support MPEG-2 hardware decoding.
There are a couple of issues. As seen with the Raspberry Pi, while the hardware may include the decoder, the hardware company needs to pay for a MPEG-2 license for each chip to make the decoder available to the consumer. It's not clear whether Ouya has purchased this license or, if they haven't, if they will provide an option for consumers to purchase a license.

Once that is sorted out, then it's the issue to have software developed to tap into the MPEG-2 hardware decoder that the Tegra3 provides. I don't know if that would be a change to libstagefright or simply be pointing libstagefright to the right hardware components...

(2013-10-01, 20:56)nickr Wrote: I'm not sure how it could be a mythtv problem. Myth simply records the stream sent by the broadcaster. If ouya doesn't have a hardware mpeg2 decoder, it's nothing to do with mythtv.

I think the test would be to open VLC for Ouya and play the same file and see if VLC plays it better than XBMC. If VLC plays it correctly (no skips and low CPU usage) then I'd deduce that MPEG-2 decoding is implemented correctly in VLC and not in XBMC. Then we would know if it's an XBMC issue, and not an Ouya issue.
See post 16, if it is accurate then OUYA seems NOT to have to mpeg2 hardware processing. Which makes it of limited value for those countries where TV is broadcast in mpeg2.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2013-10-16, 00:02)nickr Wrote: See post 16, if it is accurate then OUYA seems NOT to have to mpeg2 hardware processing. Which makes it of limited value for those countries where TV is broadcast in mpeg2.

Good point!
Well I can say that I do not see AC3 or DTS in that list and the OUYA can indeed tap into hardware decoding for those. Perhaps I'm just reading the list from post 16 wrong?

Code:
<MediaCodec name="OMX.Nvidia.mp4.decode" type="video/mp4v-es" />
<MediaCodec name="OMX.Nvidia.h263.decode" type="video/3gpp" />
<MediaCodec name="OMX.Nvidia.h264.decode" type="video/avc" />
<MediaCodec name="OMX.Nvidia.mp3.decoder" type="audio/mpeg" />
<MediaCodec name="OMX.Nvidia.mp3.decoder" type="audio/mpeg-L2" />
<MediaCodec name="OMX.Nvidia.eaacp.decoder" type="audio/mp4a-latm" />
<MediaCodec name="OMX.Nvidia.wma.decoder" type="audio/x-ms-wma" />
<MediaCodec name="OMX.Nvidia.vc1.decode" type="video/x-ms-wmv" />
<MediaCodec name="OMX.Nvidia.mjpeg.decoder" type="video/mjpeg" />
<MediaCodec name="OMX.Nvidia.h264.decode.secure" type="video/avc" />

<MediaCodec name="OMX.google.mp3.decoder" type="audio/mpeg" />
<MediaCodec name="OMX.google.amrnb.decoder" type="audio/3gpp" />
<MediaCodec name="OMX.google.amrwb.decoder" type="audio/amr-wb" />
<MediaCodec name="OMX.google.aac.decoder" type="audio/mp4a-latm" />
<MediaCodec name="OMX.google.g711.alaw.decoder" type="audio/g711-alaw" />
<MediaCodec name="OMX.google.g711.mlaw.decoder" type="audio/g711-mlaw" />
<MediaCodec name="OMX.google.vorbis.decoder" type="audio/vorbis" />

<MediaCodec name="OMX.google.mpeg4.decoder" type="video/mp4v-es" />
<MediaCodec name="OMX.google.h263.decoder" type="video/3gpp" />
<MediaCodec name="OMX.google.h264.decoder" type="video/avc" />
<MediaCodec name="OMX.google.vpx.decoder" type="video/x-vnd.on2.vp8" />
Really? Hardware decoding DTS and AC3?

Are you sure you aren't thinking of passthrough, which does not involve any decoding?
(2013-10-25, 04:15)nickr Wrote: Really? Hardware decoding DTS and AC3?

Are you sure you aren't thinking of passthrough, which does not involve any decoding?

Ahh you are correct on that front, DTS and AC3 are software decodes from what I read, but then I guess the next question for OUYA would be what is the proprietary issue there? I guess I could understand tapping into hardware decoding as a proprietary thing—well not really since it should come with the hardware if you buy it, kinda like having a transmission with 5 gears and only being allowed to use 4 unless you pay extra, but I will say I do for arguments sake—, but why is there an issue with software decoding being a violation?

It is a shame to see a nice little box being dragged down by such ridiculous issues.
mpeg licensing is per unit and paid to mpla. To activate hardware mpeg 2 decoding would add a cost via licensing fee to every ouya. When you are selling to a pricepoint, you can't throw everthing in.
I hear what your saying on that, I just have such a hard time wrapping my head around the fact that I have a piece of hardware that is perfectly capable of doing something, but I can not due to some licensing issue. One would think if it is not to be used then it would simply not be a part of the hardware. Is it any wonder people are oh so sick of the licensing issues and tend to use other means.

Like having a toaster that can only do bread, but not bagels due to licensing...just absurd.

I can say though I would be more than happy to pay a few bucks for a license to use the hardware I bought, I see the Pi sells theirs for about $5 USD.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Ouya, XBMC and cmyth - choppy video0