Tearing my hair out!
Wondered if someone could help with an issue I'm having with XBMC on my Pi.

Up until the weekend I had Raspbmc running pretty well - Pi is connected to a Yamaha AVR and then to a Panasonic plasma. I decided I wanted to try the option to use a USB stick in tandem with an SD and that's where the problem arises.

Before I explain the issue - I've tried Raspbmc and Openelec with USB installs at home with this issue but it works fine on a monitor at work without the AVR in the loop. I've tried different HDMI cables with no change.

Now the problem. installing goes well and main menu loads up but as soon as I start navigating it's like the handshake with the AVR goes. HDMI light on the AVR starts flickering and picture goes blank and periodically tries to reappear?

As I said this was working fine from just an SD card so not sure what introducing the USB stick at home has changed. I now the setup up of the Pi is ok as it works fine on my work monitor?

Any ideas what I can do?
Power supply issue. The USB drive is taking enough power to give the HDMI port issues. Better power supply (more amps) should fix it.
(2013-05-20, 18:51)Ned Scott Wrote: Power supply issue. The USB drive is taking enough power to give the HDMI port issues. Better power supply (more amps) should fix it.

Correct. A powered USB hub for the USB stuck is another solution.
(2013-05-20, 18:51)Ned Scott Wrote: Power supply issue. The USB drive is taking enough power to give the HDMI port issues. Better power supply (more amps) should fix it.

But it works fine with my office monitor, with USB connected and the same power supply - the problem seems to be when I introduce the AVR and Plasma at home?

Btw I'm using a 2a power supply (I've tried 2 different ones of this rating)
(2013-05-20, 19:08)popcornmix Wrote:

Correct. A powered USB hub for the USB stuck is another solution.

Just tried with a powered hub and get exactly the same issue - thanks for the suggestion though.
(2013-05-20, 20:05)WhiteHartMart Wrote: Just tried with a powered hub and get exactly the same issue - thanks for the suggestion though.

Another possibility is too low a signal is getting to AVR. Can you try boost option here:
http://elinux.org/R-Pi_Troubleshooting#I...VI_monitor
(2013-05-20, 20:31)popcornmix Wrote:
(2013-05-20, 20:05)WhiteHartMart Wrote: Just tried with a powered hub and get exactly the same issue - thanks for the suggestion though.

Another possibility is too low a signal is getting to AVR. Can you try boost option here:
http://elinux.org/R-Pi_Troubleshooting#I...VI_monitor

Thanks for the link - have tried numerous settings to see if it helps but still the same. Perhaps using boost at 7 has stabilised it a little but it's still unusable. :(
what's the power rating on the supply that is on the Pi itself? or rather, what is supplying the power to the Pi?
It's a mains plug with USB connection rated at 5v - 2 100mA.

I've now tried the Pi direct to the Plasma and it works fine - it's just not liking the Yamaha AVR (Yamaha RX-V673) in the loop at all?

To further confuse matters - I tried installing Rasplex from SD also and that ran fine with no issues even with the AVR in the loop?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Tearing my hair out!0