XBMC vs Xbox One (affect on bring HTPC to the Living Room)
(2013-05-22, 06:55)Ned Scott Wrote: who wants to take bets that it will be more limited than the 360 in playing back local media?

I would advise anyone against taking this bet.... Microsoft has always been disappointing, always going through half measures (along with most other manufacturers, even when they aim for home theater systems). Xbox live is just going to push then for proprietary formats, just like Apple has gone in order to force people to buy/rent media through their shops. Opening it up to play local/NAS media, scrap, organize, etc just doesn't make sense profit-wise.
Do you think it'll be possible to connect your HTPC running XBMC to the Box One via HDMI Passthrough? So sort of treat XBMC as your cable or satellite provider.
(2013-07-04, 21:42)Death-Axe Wrote: I seriously doubt that the xbox one will be able to run even half of the formats that xbmc supports, same goes for the ps4. And oddly, sony's blu ray players can play more formats than the ps3. Odd that isn't it?

Plus the biggest and most stupidest thing with that is, m$ will charge a subscription for services I can get in xbmc, in my smart tv, and smart blu ray player for free.

Seriously, why charge for access to services I already pay for like netflix, love film and bbci player?

Because MS is a business that has a responsibility to it's employees and shareholders to make a profit. You may not pay for their services but other people do. Why do you think they shouldn't run a business like a business and work for free? What do you do for a living?
(2013-08-19, 21:26)redhalo Wrote: Because MS is a business that has a responsibility to it's employees and shareholders to make a profit. You may not pay for their services but other people do. Why do you think they shouldn't run a business like a business and work for free? What do you do for a living?

Honestly, I don't care very much about this discussion, but I assume he thinks that because their competitors are providing those services for free. Microsoft is the outlier in this situation. Theoretically, this makes them less competitive. With that said, because they charge people for the services, it appears they put more resources into making them fairly good, which suggests to me that the competitive disadvantage of cost for them isn't entirely what one would predict it to be.

Just my thoughts on the matter.
To answer my own question, Major nelson has confirmed that you will be able to plug a windows 8 pc into the xbox one, but exactly what that means for interaction between XBONE and XBMC is still anyone's guess. Will you get an Xbox overlay and voice/gesture control within XBMC? I have to admit if that's the case this is a game changer and I'll be getting one on day 1. Hoping some new information about HDMI pass-thru comes out at GamesCom.
Having read some of the comments I have to say that hooking your PC up just so that you can use XBMC on it is a bit daft to say the least. Why not just use XBMC on the PC that you are currently using you do not need to hook it up to be a life support system. MicroGreed has got entertainment on there such as Hulu, Love Film etc etc to make money. I for one are not interested in those features, I just want a games console.

The only real use I can think of for the One to be hooked up to a PC for is to give extra storage. As it only has a 500 gig hard drive, depending upon how much of the game it needs to install this 500 gigs will end up getting swallowed so by being able to use a 2 tb hard drive on your local computer to save downloads etc would be great.

However I can see that it is not going to take very long before the One gets hacked. This generation will probably be the easiest of the lot to have soft cracks than mod chips etc.
The reason I'd want XBMC hooked up to the XBONE is to be continually connected to Xbox Live and have access to XBONE's features while using XBMC. So I could be watching a film and receive a skype call, or a game invite, and not have to worry that i'd miss it because I'm on a different input. It keeps all my entertainment on a single input - makes total sense to me.
I don't typically like deleting posts, but this thread has taken a seriously bad turn and the only the only way I see to get it back on track is to hit rewind. Please, let's all try to stay on topic. We now return you to the regularly scheduled broadcast.
I have an old Apple 3G iPhone. I have XBMC, I have a 360. If someone needs to get hold of me, then they can use my mobile number. Skype is not the bee all of modern communication. It is a buzz word, such as facebook and twitter. I can bet that you have a more modern phone or maybe a tablet than I have. So that will be by your side. I personally watch movies on XBMC to do that, watch a movie, to escape into that fantasy World that movies are. I will turn on the Xbox on at 19:30 to 22:30 and play COD. I am not tied to technology. I have my down time. I have been
using computers since I was 10 years of age 1980, I owned my first computer in 1981 ZX81. At 43 years of age. I still love the geek toy's because that is me. However there is a World outside. MicroGreed have created what this thread is about, an HTPC in your home. However if a poll was put up for the users of XBMC if they use original material or pirated, if they was honest, I think the majority would admit to using pirated material. I have god knows how many original dvds, but I never use them, I prefer playing my back up library, so I do not scratch or damage my DVDs.

MicroGreed was solely producing operating systems, to which they was one time buy's only so it was not making money, now they make more money per second, than they ever did. They will hunt down piracy, and ban consoles and IP addresses as soon as they find the slightest hint of wrong doing.

They cannot make money out of XBMC and unless they have changed the file format system, then it will not suit MicroGreed to legally have XBMC onto their system.

The One will probably have more security to prevent the soft hacks so it does not loose money. Yet hackers are always against greedy corporations.

I can purchase a game for £5.00 second hand, hard copy, instructions etc or I can pay £19.99 plus to download from MicroGreed for a digital copy. I would sooner purchase at a decent price, than piracy, and yet MicroGreed until they reversered their DRM policy would have ended up against a brick wall.
I think some people are misunderstanding what it means to hook up an htpc running XBMC to the Xbox One. It's just going to be hdmi passthrough so you can switch back and forth between the two devices. As Rumik stated, this is nice to get notifications from the Xbox while using XBMC, or any of the apps that will be available running alongside. Your htpc will likely not be used for storage for the XBox One, but the One can use external hard drives/flash as the 360 can now, so space is however much you want really.

Mark, I don't know what you are trying to say. If these features don't appeal to you then this isn't the product for you. It is very nice for many of us, but not for everyone. Simple as that. No need to be so angry about something that doesn't affect you in any way.
(2013-08-21, 19:47)Mark Norville Wrote: I have an old Apple 3G iPhone. I have XBMC, I have a 360. If someone needs to get hold of me, then they can use my mobile number. Skype is not the bee all of modern communication. It is a buzz word, such as facebook and twitter. I can bet that you have a more modern phone or maybe a tablet than I have. So that will be by your side. I personally watch movies on XBMC to do that, watch a movie, to escape into that fantasy World that movies are. I will turn on the Xbox on at 19:30 to 22:30 and play COD. I am not tied to technology. I have my down time. I have been
using computers since I was 10 years of age 1980, I owned my first computer in 1981 ZX81. At 43 years of age. I still love the geek toy's because that is me. However there is a World outside. MicroGreed have created what this thread is about, an HTPC in your home. However if a poll was put up for the users of XBMC if they use original material or pirated, if they was honest, I think the majority would admit to using pirated material. I have god knows how many original dvds, but I never use them, I prefer playing my back up library, so I do not scratch or damage my DVDs.

MicroGreed was solely producing operating systems, to which they was one time buy's only so it was not making money, now they make more money per second, than they ever did. They will hunt down piracy, and ban consoles and IP addresses as soon as they find the slightest hint of wrong doing.

They cannot make money out of XBMC and unless they have changed the file format system, then it will not suit MicroGreed to legally have XBMC onto their system.

The One will probably have more security to prevent the soft hacks so it does not loose money. Yet hackers are always against greedy corporations.

I can purchase a game for £5.00 second hand, hard copy, instructions etc or I can pay £19.99 plus to download from MicroGreed for a digital copy. I would sooner purchase at a decent price, than piracy, and yet MicroGreed until they reversered their DRM policy would have ended up against a brick wall.

I think you've missed the point. Completely. I was simply using Skype as an example of Xbox-xbmc interaction. It's a convenience, something that if you're reading this thread should interest you. I don't see how using Skype would stop me from getting out in the "real world".

Clearly you've got issues with Microsoft, but I really don't think this particular thread is the place to express them. We're talking about the possibilities the Xbox one brings to the living room alongside xbmc. So if you've not got anything to contribute to the discussion, please go away.
Rumik no offense but you are being an idiot again. I shall report the post again as you are an idiot who cannot read and understand. I am not going to keep talking to the village idiot as they are missing him, and you should go back home. I have already said that MicroGreed is over charging and will use filters or what not to search for piracy. MicroGreed will have it so that it interacts with Windows operating system, such as Windows 8, maybe Windows 7 at a very push. As for anything other than Windows 7 then it will not be compatible, unless hacks are made. Windows 8 will really be the main operating system that it will talk to.

My best advice to your good self, is when you go past puberty, then give me a call when you can converse like an adult.
This is going nowhere!
closing thread.

and stop reporting each other. you are both guilty.
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
way to kill good entertainment ... Sad

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC vs Xbox One (affect on bring HTPC to the Living Room)0