[FEATURE IDEA] Retroshare in XBMC adds F2F functionality
Hello forum, I am new here. This is my first post and I hope I am at the right section of the forum. If not mods please move this to a more appropriate place. I have not found a RetroShare thread on this forum but I think there should be one

I would like to have an option to share my collections with my friends. I have compared the existing old and new open source p2p software for this purpose. I think RetroShare RetroShare Unofficial Wiki might be the best option. On the outside Retroshare looks & feels a lot like the old but still working Soulseek, but it is more robust. It is as secure as currently possible, works via the 'web of trust' concept, has no central servers but only encrypted connections between machines, and the only ip adresses which are visible for a given device are the ones of the befriended devices. You can use Retroshare to share files, chat, email & talk. You can easily create custom channels, chat rooms, mailing lists etc. And yes, Retroshare works on the Raspberry Pi.

I am no expert but I think this friends-to-friends concept can be a viable alternative / addition to the current streaming channels (which happen to change their urls a lot).

Somewhere soon the RetroShare developers will launch a web interface Retroshare Web Interface Coming Soon. This will enable you to securely connect to a RS-hub at home with your phone or tablet. It would be lovely if one then could connect to a Raspberry Pi which runs a Retroshare addon inside an XBMC hub which is permanently switched on.

By now you have guessed it... I am no coder. It is probably not really difficult to implement but I am not capable to do it. So is there any coder around here who shares these ideas and likes to give it a try?
Sorry I gave the wrong url for the RS web interface discussion. You can find it here:

http://retroshareteam.wordpress.com/2013...interface/

Here is a quick overview of the ideals behind RetroShare, as you can see the ideas behind it are very similar to the ones which are driving the XBMC community:

http://retroshareteam.wordpress.com/2012...xclude=554
I see legal issues, at least for some countries
It's just a protocol, and one that is more selective than most P2P protocols (Hence the friend-to-friend terminology. Only people you know connect to your computer). It's no more illegal than Skype.

I don't think the entire setup could be done within XBMC, unless the client can be completely written in python. However, some kind of helper add-on, or system-level program that creates a local mount, is totally doable.
Other option: it is not even necessary to run retroshare within xbmc. It is already possible (in Linux & Windows) to run both at the same time. I suppose that could be done on the rasberry pi as well but then openelec or xunity should be adjusted to allow it.

But still... it would be more convenient to perform a RS search/download action (and of course the communication - chat/mail/talk) from within xbmc.

About the legal issues: RS is legal. It is just very secure, and can help making us less dependent on www based cyberlockers. The reason it is so useful is that it is decentralized/serverless, open source, cross platform, portable, small, Raspberry friendly, and that it combines file-sharing with communication features. This is potentially much better than skype.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[FEATURE IDEA] Retroshare in XBMC adds F2F functionality0