xbmc (Lite?) On Apple TV3
Although I agree with you somewhat I might be a little less dramatic - probably 90% have no idea what a jailbreak is or have ever messed with their device.

As for the rpi I've heard that number bandied about. However when you factor in the several items necessary for it to behave like an atv the price also begins to creep into atv territory.
I think the only reason it works with Plex and XML injection is because Plex transcodes the video. It would be easy enough to do the XML part with XBMC, but ATV isn't going to touch that MKV.
(2013-05-26, 09:39)Romey-Rome Wrote: I think the only reason it works with Plex and XML injection is because Plex transcodes the video. It would be easy enough to do the XML part with XBMC, but ATV isn't going to touch that MKV.

It works because of the dns server and the xml converter. The transcoder is necessary of course for playing non supported files.

So lets do the xml converter and then worry about the transcoding later - maybe pass xbmc output to vlc and then on to the client device ?
(2013-05-26, 00:28)mmartell Wrote: Although I agree with you somewhat I might be a little less dramatic - probably 90% have no idea what a jailbreak is or have ever messed with their device.

As for the rpi I've heard that number bandied about. However when you factor in the several items necessary for it to behave like an atv the price also begins to creep into atv territory.

I was comparing the total cost of ownership there =) You can have a RasPi up and running for about $50, whereas the atv3 is going to run you $100

Back on topic, converting the xml could be done with a service addon. I don't have much interest in doing something like this myself, but if you want to tackle is as an academic exercise, feel free to post in the Python Development section and I'll help out where I can
I appreciate that but I wouldn't know where to start. Python looks to me like like something that would start a fire in Mountain View if you threw it into google translate :D

Can you suggest a jumping off point ?
(2013-05-23, 09:14)Ned Scott Wrote: I have no opposition, I'm just telling you, no one is going to do it because no one is interested in doing it. The ATV3 is a dead product in our eyes. For less money you can get something more powerful with full XBMC features. There is zero incentive to do some ass-backwards hack that will give people a poor XBMC experience. Good luck finding anyone who wants to work on that.

If you are just looking to run XBMC then you are probably correct. For me, I want 1 device that does everything. I love tinkering with gadgets but when someone comes to my house and wants to operate my tv I don't want to give a 60 min tutorial or design flowcharts on which devices is the best for a particular application. Apple TV has the best interface hands down and is the most stable and responsive platform I have found so far. I use netflix a lot and the ATV interface and steaming is the best on the market. I just want to combine that experience with the xbmc views for movies.
(2013-06-26, 18:01)movies-at-home Wrote:
(2013-05-23, 09:14)Ned Scott Wrote: I have no opposition, I'm just telling you, no one is going to do it because no one is interested in doing it. The ATV3 is a dead product in our eyes. For less money you can get something more powerful with full XBMC features. There is zero incentive to do some ass-backwards hack that will give people a poor XBMC experience. Good luck finding anyone who wants to work on that.

If you are just looking to run XBMC then you are probably correct. For me, I want 1 device that does everything. I love tinkering with gadgets but when someone comes to my house and wants to operate my tv I don't want to give a 60 min tutorial or design flowcharts on which devices is the best for a particular application. Apple TV has the best interface hands down and is the most stable and responsive platform I have found so far. I use netflix a lot and the ATV interface and steaming is the best on the market. I just want to combine that experience with the xbmc views for movies.

+1 but it seems your view is not shared by many.
(2013-06-28, 09:11)mmartell Wrote: +1 but it seems your view is not shared by many.

No, lots of people have that same request, but you can't get it using some XML crap on the ATV3. It will be no where close to what the full XBMC experience is. You wouldn't be able to playback most video file formats, you wouldn't have any add-ons, and it would probably be more complicated for the end-user than switching video inputs on a TV.

It goes like this:

User: Hey man, can you pull a rainbow out of your ass?
XBMC: sorry, I can't do that
User: WHY DO YOU HATE RAINBOWS?!
XBMC: I never said I hated rainbows, I just said I can't pull one out of my ass.
User: XBMC hates rainbows!! I hate you and you're not my real dad!

and you can get something that does XBMC and Netflix in one device that will be less work, less hassle, and around $100, that would be a million times better than "XBMC lite" on an ATV3.
(2013-06-28, 09:33)Ned Scott Wrote:
(2013-06-28, 09:11)mmartell Wrote: +1 but it seems your view is not shared by many.

No, lots of people have that same request, but you can't get it using some XML crap on the ATV3. It will be no where close to what the full XBMC experience is. You wouldn't be able to playback most video file formats, you wouldn't have any add-ons, and it would probably be more complicated for the end-user than switching video inputs on a TV.

It goes like this:

User: Hey man, can you pull a rainbow out of your ass?
XBMC: sorry, I can't do that
User: WHY DO YOU HATE RAINBOWS?!
XBMC: I never said I hated rainbows, I just said I can't pull one out of my ass.
User: XBMC hates rainbows!! I hate you and you're not my real dad!

and you can get something that does XBMC and Netflix in one device that will be less work, less hassle, and around $100, that would be a million times better than "XBMC lite" on an ATV3.

I think the unrealistic expectations of some people is a credit to the great development work that has been done on XBMC. The thing works and its has a beautiful interface with tons of features. When stuff works that good consumers accept it as a standard and 'easy to do."

As for a device under a $100 that does both XBMC and Netflix, what are the top devices on your list? I now have a roku 2 xd, Western Digital TV, Netgear Neo TV, Apple TV, PC with XBMC, Plex media server on my sinology, Netflix on my samsung bluray, netflix on my panasonic blueray.

Here are my pain points with those devices

1. I have a 65" LED and a 120" movie screen. The only device that seems to do HD video with Netflix is the Apple TV. Watching a fuzzy pictures on those screens is unbearable.
2. I have over 500 movies so with the exception of the XBMC browsing through movies is slow and without search functions
3. Love the pc with XBMC but no netflix in XBMC and I have to always worry about all the stuff that comes with managing a windows machine. I tried xbmc buntu but could never get my blutooth keybord and remotes to work
(2013-06-28, 09:33)Ned Scott Wrote: ...and you can get something that does XBMC and Netflix in one device that will be less work, less hassle, and around $100, that would be a million times better than "XBMC lite" on an ATV3.

I scratched the Raspberry Pi off that list - it felt like I was constantly beta testing with it. And yes i tried umpteen power supplies and sd cards/usb drives/firmwares etc etc. I know people swear by it but my experience with it was different.

Perhaps the ouya if that pans out.
raspberry pi with openelec and a power supply bought from modmypi.com is super stable. Saying it is half the price of an ATV however is quite wrong. RPi + supply + case + wifi + sd gets close to the $80 mark.
(2013-05-23, 09:14)Ned Scott Wrote: The ATV3 is a dead product in our eyes. For less money you can get something more powerful with full XBMC features.

What would be your best suggestion?
(2013-11-13, 14:48)HantzT Wrote:
(2013-05-23, 09:14)Ned Scott Wrote: The ATV3 is a dead product in our eyes. For less money you can get something more powerful with full XBMC features.

What would be your best suggestion?

OUYA?
I stumbled on this thread from a Google search.

I've been immersed in the Apple ecosystem for many years, but I find them rapidly descending to a level of evil and monopoly that makes the old Microsoft seem benevolent. So I have been searching for a way to transition without tossing my hardware investments. I must have 6-7 Apple TV units.

I was considering XBMC, but I want to thank Ned Scott. I've been a software developer for going on 30 years, and if there is one thing I have learned, it is that wherever trolls like Ned go, I will go elsewhere. I was so offended by is non-stop, non-value added posts to this thread, I felt I should join just to highlight how much damage people like that can do to a community.

The fact that he has some sort of status in the community is all the indication I need that XBMC is not for me.

Thanks Ned. Fingers crossed Google TV takes hold.

Cheers,
Hoju
(2013-12-25, 18:46)hoju Wrote: I stumbled on this thread from a Google search.

I've been immersed in the Apple ecosystem for many years, but I find them rapidly descending to a level of evil and monopoly that makes the old Microsoft seem benevolent. So I have been searching for a way to transition without tossing my hardware investments. I must have 6-7 Apple TV units.

I was considering XBMC, but I want to thank Ned Scott. I've been a software developer for going on 30 years, and if there is one thing I have learned, it is that wherever trolls like Ned go, I will go elsewhere. I was so offended by is non-stop, non-value added posts to this thread, I felt I should join just to highlight how much damage people like that can do to a community.

The fact that he has some sort of status in the community is all the indication I need that XBMC is not for me.

Thanks Ned. Fingers crossed Google TV takes hold.

Cheers,
Hoju

What?!

I guess I should be mad at this, but I'm just... really bewildered. Why would you think I was trolling? OUYA is one of the new Android-based boxes that I have used that run XBMC really well. Probably the best performance that I have personally experienced (granted there are a lot of options out there, and I haven't tried them all).

The only thing I can think of is this post is itself some kind of trolling regarding the OUYA's trouble catching on as a gaming system. I don't know if it's good for games or not, but as a media player, it's fantastic.

I don't know what this guy's problem is.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
xbmc (Lite?) On Apple TV30