Failure running in VS2010 - error loading settings definition from special://...
I'm using these instructions from the XBMC wiki site to begin working with XBMC. I believe that I have successfully completed sections 1, 2, and 3. Installing the resultant setup exe works. Then, I'm able to load XBMC\project\VS2010Express\XBMC for Windows.sln into Visual Studios 2010 Premium and the build passes. However, when I launch the XBMC project with F5 I get this error:

CSettings: error loading settings definition from special://xbmc/system/settings/settings.xml, Line 0

When I set breakpoints it is failing because method CStdString URIUtils::SubstitutePath(const CStdString& strPath) doesn't find any substitutions in g_advancedSettings.m_pathSubstitutions for path special://xbmc/system/settings/settings.xml.

When I reload and put breakpoints on all modifications to container m_pathSubstitutions, the breakpoints don't fire before the error is reached.

Anyone know why m_pathSubstitutions isn't getting initialized?

- Ross
I copied all folders like addon, sound, system from \xbmc-3d\project\Win32BuildSetup\BUILD_WIN32\Xbmc to the debug folder \xbmc-3d\project\VS2010Express\XBMC\Debug (DirectX)
it is not failing due to the lack of substitutions. try exporting the XBMC_HOME env var, i think it is respected on windows as well.if not somebody will surely arrest me if i am mistaken. and probably claim i am being offensive.
baijuxavior,
Your solution worked. Thanks! I'm leery of copying, do you know how spiff's answer or the environment can be tweaked to make the solution on the wiki page work out of the box?

spiff,
What should I be setting XBMC_HOME to? I set it to $(SolutionDir) and then called getenv("XBMC_HOME") inside the program to confirm that it is in place. I'm getting the same results. I also tried setting XBMC_HOME to "$(SolutionDir)\..\Win32BuildSetup\BUILD_WIN32\Xbmc".

The reason I think it is substitutions is that it is failing when it tries to load SETTINGS_XML_FOLDER "settings.xml". Here is my callstack:
Code:
>    XBMC.exe!URIUtils::SubstitutePath(const CStdStr<char> & strPath)  Line 360    C++
    XBMC.exe!XFILE::CFileStream::Open(const CStdStr<char> & filename)  Line 975 + 0x10 bytes    C++
    XBMC.exe!CXBMCTinyXML::LoadFile(const CStdStr<char> & _filename, TiXmlEncoding encoding)  Line 66 + 0x28 bytes    C++
    XBMC.exe!CXBMCTinyXML::LoadFile(const char * _filename, TiXmlEncoding encoding)  Line 50 + 0x10 bytes    C++
    XBMC.exe!CSettings::Initialize(const std::basic_string<char,std::char_traits<char>,std::allocator<char> > & file)  Line 528 + 0x16 bytes    C++
    XBMC.exe!CSettings::InitializeDefinitions()  Line 545 + 0x26 bytes    C++
    XBMC.exe!CSettings::Initialize()  Line 250 + 0x8 bytes    C++
    XBMC.exe!CApplication::Create()  Line 723 + 0xc bytes    C++
    XBMC.exe!WinMain(HINSTANCE__ * hInst, HINSTANCE__ * __formal, char * commandLine, HINSTANCE__ * __formal)  Line 141 + 0x1e bytes    C++

SubstitutePath is given string "special://xbmc/system/settings/settings.xml", but global variable g_advancedSettings.m_pathSubstitutions has a size() of 0.

Thanks guys.
- Ross
Install xbmc like you normally would and set the home path to that folder. Simple
It says so on the wiki

Goto the Debugging settings and enter "XBMC_HOME=C:\Dev\XBMC" (without quotes) in the "Environment" field, where C:\Dev\XBMC is the path where your XBMC root is (containing language/skin/system/userdata folders etc.)
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
root meaning your repository root and not the path to the win32buildsetup.
As Martijn mentioned its described in point 6 -> http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=HOW...ource_code
The dll copy isn't needed. Anyone volunteer to change that? Wink
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
Forgive me. I did not read section 6. Thank you all for your patience.

For XBMC_HOME, I used this setting in Debug's Environment field
XBMC_HOME=$(TargetDir)
Hmmm, I tried setting XBMC_HOME=$(TargetDir) as well as settings to to C:\dev\xmbc
I cannot start the app.with CSettings: error loading settings definition from special://xbmc/system/settings/settings.xml, Line 0

I can however start the installed version outside the debugger in C:\dev\xbmc

edit: Compiling and running the 12.2-Frodo tagged source works fine though. So that seems to be a problem in the upstream. Where can I get the binaries for the current upstream?

edit2: nevermind, got it working by setting the HOME to my cloned repo dir
Hi guys i am having a similar issue on my debug version

Error: Unable to create application. Exiting

and on the log its showing up the same error settings/settings.xml, Line 0

any ideas on how to sort this, i have copied the settings.xml file into debug folder but its still giving me the same error to init.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Failure running in VS2010 - error loading settings definition from special://...0