• 6(current)
[MOD] Xperience1080++
Thanks for your feedback...Firstly to the background states, this is what I get:

Default settings:

Show Darker:

Show More:

Show even more:

So for me there are four different states you can reach..it may be that I did not synch everything in Github, but can you double check you do not get the four states and post screenshots if necessary? It's very much work in progress so your feedback is very valuable. As for the fonts, I made a change to the homescreen to at least not use CAPS all over the place and a slight alteration in the colour (as it was in the original xperience1080++ mod) so that the Menu is more visible when not selected. Also removed over use of CAPS from PVR screens.

Please try and report your findings.I have just changed the name from "show less background" to "show darker background" having seen the screenshots above!
Ah, now I understand what you mean. But it does not look this ways on my PCs. When I enable "show more backgrounds" or I enable "show less background" I get about the same result. It is always the background fading vom fully transparent on the top to totally white on the bottom. I actually do not get what you are refering to under "show less".

During the next few hours I will not be able to try out more things. I will continue later on.

Take care,

FantasticN
Ok, I am back and already tried your latest version. However, I still do not see the slightest difference when I switch between "show more background" and "show less background" (or "show darker background" as it says right now). I do not seem to get the look that you suggest above ("Show Darker").

It is just always the screen fading from full transparency (on the top) to almost white (on the bottom), which similar, to your picture above ("Show More) but not as dark.

Brgds,

FantasticN

Edit: I am currently following you on github. I saw you updating the background-section and even fonts. So I thought I'll give it a try. And here are my results:

1. Fonts: Fonts of the main menu are much better right now. However, in the submenus (like views) it has still the "Artic"-fonts which is harder to read and now not consistent with the once in the main menu anymore.

2. Backgrounds: Switching between "Show darker background" and "Show more background" now makes a difference. So I now can see the differences between all four option, which are

a) "Show more background" disabled (therefore "Show even more backgound" also disabled) and "Show darker background" disabled: Very bright, too bright for my taste (as sted in my post before)

b) "Show more background" enabled and "Show even more backgound" disabled (and therefore "Show darker background" disabled): greyish look, quit good but maybe a little bit to dark already. Text in main-screen and especially view (like movie descriptions) is not readable anymore because of the color (grey fonts on dark grey background). I see it is hard to find a balance, but everything seemed fine in your old mod (Xperience1080++).

c) "Show more background" enabled and "Show even more backgound" enabled (and therefore "Show darker background" disabled): very dark look, almost black. Dim transition ist fine, but you cannot read anything since the text color is grey as well.

d) "Show darker background" enabled (an therefore "Show even more backgound" and "Show darker background" disabled): Full transparency of the background. Also looks very dark. Fonts are not readable on the background as well.

It seems you now made it significantly darker, almost too dark. Apart from all "show..."-options disabled, which delivers the typical white screen of the Arctic-mod, all other settings deliver an almost too dark screen and makes text almost unreadable. As I can see from your latest version it is hard to find a balance for background and font-colors, but everything seemed just fine in your old mod (Xperience1080++). To be honest: Apart from the nice additional view-screens I very much prefered the look of your old mod over the Arctic-mod.

Brgds,

FantasticN
Thanks again for the feedback..yes getting the font colours to match is not easy, I will keep tweaking to see if I can come up with something better..with regards the option to show even more fanart the text colour should be white like the weather icon in my screenshot above making it slightly easier to read..did you not get this on your version? I may try changing the other "show" options to white text too and see if that helps. In the end I am sure we will come up with a nice balance between the two mods, like you my main attraction was the excellent view screens, I also like the new settings layout etc with the white panel background..but I really do not like the overuse of CAPS so will keep tweaking until it is back to something we all like.

EDIT - change is made to have the text white for the "show" views. Seems to be a bit better to read. Please let me know if it helps.
I think I already tried your latest version. However, I updated one more time (just in case) and checked it out again.

Still I feel the standard transition (all "show..."-options disabled) is to bright, wheras in all other cases the transition is to strong and the skin then becomes to dark and/or colorful with its background/fanarts shining through, which even leads to problems with the color of the text to be readable then. E.g. if you select a movie and press "info" you cannot read the text if the movie has a strong or colorful fanart. Thus, you only have three options: (1) have a lower transition with a brighter overlay and use a dark color for the text, (2) have a lower transition with a dark overlay and use a white color for the text, or (3) regardless of the transition of the background/fanart you may "house" all text inside a box with no transition in it (white with dark text - like the list view of the Arctic-mod - or dark with white text).
Currently I think you should try the first option, which means lower transition with a bright overlay, but just not as bright as the standard overlay in Arctic-mod.

Brgds,

FantasticN
I made an update which at least to me for the show more option seems to be the same as in the non arctic version, also the show darker background now is actually darker and only this setting gets the colour of font changed to white..please test and report back your findings.
Added the Horizontal and Classic Menus from Crni's mod - available on Github

- plus a few bug fixes for colours when using the show darker option

watch gallery
Hi im85288,

Thanks for the continues work on this amazomg Skin. But the longer I use it the more I am missing your previous mod. Apart from the fonts, transitions and backgrounds I somehow do not really like the style of some menus (like settings etc.) and the frames around the icons. For me everything is too "whitsh" which might somehow be a principle issue of the Arctic-mod (as name suggests).

Now as to you adjustions:
The "show more background"-option now delivers a good blance of colors, transition and brightness, though I think it could still be a very little bit darker. However, "show even more backgrpund" and "show darker background" both show too much transition of the background. If you hit the info-screen on a movie with a colorful background you will not be able to read the plot-deatails at all. Btw: All three options use gre fonts on the info-screen. So at least for the "show darker background" I would suggest using less transition (same level as "show more background" or even lower) but use a dark overlay.

As to the horizontal and classic menu you again implemented in the mod: Nice for some guys who might use it. But actually I prefer the new Xperience-look. There are already so many mods making use of the horizontal menu (starting from confluence and continuing over several Aeon-Versions) that I really do not need this mod to offer such option as well. Actually I am a bit afraid that too many switches and options might slow down the skin too much. I remember a similar discussion in case of crni's "Xperience1080+"-mod which - as I recall - led to these menus beinh dropped again.

So much for my feedback. Once again thanks for your efforts. I know it is hard work.

Brgds,

FantasticN

Edit: Ok, I compared this skin once again to your older "Xeprience1080++"-mod. And actually it is not so much the frames around the icons (which were white as well in the old skin), but the all over whitish look of the menus which brightens up the whole skin and makes it look less harmonic. The old mod was mor balanced with respect to lighter and darker items. And as too the background: I think the managed to get the transition to almost the same level for no "show..."-options selected, but still not for the others. Anyway I think transition is harder to balance under this skin, which definitly is connected to the whiter items (fonts, menus etc.). So as to my personal opinion: I found your old mod much more "harmonic" in terms of colors, brightness/darkness, transition and fonts. Maybe it would have been a good idea to take that one as a basis and only try to implement some of those additional views that were offered under the acrtic-skin. No offense to jurialmunkey. He did a great job as well with his arctic mod. But - to be honest - it is just a bit to "whitish" for my taste.

Btw: There seems to be a minor bug with the custom music tiles. When a music video library is present only the second tile is customisable, whereas the settings menus offers only the first one for customization then (no green button for the second, only for the first tile). However, the actually behaviour is correct because the main menu is still showing the tile as it is set for the second one, not for the first.
Added Tile Border Colours option - available on Github

-- also adapted home screen and pvr fonts back to the old mod
-- uses less white background as per arctic release
-- fixed bug with custom music tiles

@fanatasticn - your feedback has been valuable, I made some changes to the fonts on the home screen and most of the pvr screens which does look a lot better, like you stated the other one was pretty narrow and difficult to read at a distance sometimes. Also the background is less white so this should help with some of the concerns you have voiced. I also fixed the bug you reported (thanks for that Big Grin ) With regards the show more background settings, I think its almost there have a try with the new release as the font changes and less white may have helped!

As for the horizontal and classic menus, I do like to have the option to switch sometimes when all the squares get a bit repetitive! As it is an option you can easily choose not to use the feature..eventually I may even expand on the horizontal one..but for now I will leave it as it is. As for slowing things down, I do recall discussions on it but to be honest I have not seen any actual proof that performance is degraded..I did not read all of crni's thread but cannot recall any complaints on the performance when he introduced the alternate menus. Having said all that, if you do experience any slow down that is measurable I could make a "light" version that removes the alternate menus.
Thanks for your update and for your compliment. Actually I was quiet afraid that you would hate me for all my complaints about transition, colors etc.

However, I tried your recent version and do not really see a significant difference. Still all "show..."-options deselected as well as "show more background"-selected is working fine (though I do not feel the right mix of brightness and transition in both of them; the first one especially is much too white for me as I already mentioned several times). But the other two option ("show even more background" and "show darker background") do show too much transition. Especially when you are on the info-screen of a movie you cannot read the plot details because the fanart is shing through too much and the grey fonts are too dark.

Anyways, as I also just mentioned: the more I try to use that skin, the more I really do not like it. There are too many things that are not elegant enough in my eyes - especially if you compare it to your previous mod (Xperience1080++). This does not only refer to the brightness and the transition, but also to the whitish menus and the frames around those menus and the tiles. To be honest: The whole artic-skin more or less looks like the design of some video game. I think I am going back to the slender, elegant and frameless skin of your "Xperience1080++"-mod. My hope is, that you might keep administrating it (implementing features or updates same way you might with the arctic-mod).

Once again: Thank you for your hard work on those mods!

Brgds,

FantasticN
Reverted the homescreen tiles back to the original version - Available on Github

-- Also slight change in show more background transition level and removed show even more option. The show darker background is now restricted to the home screen only
-- Added a couple more colours to the tiles and tile borders

@fantasticn - I do appreciate your comments as it helps me pick up on things I otherwise would not have seen. The removal of the frames etc does make it look slicker. Time now to watch some tv Big Grin
Hi im85288,

Thanks again for the update. Now that looks much better! Suddenly some of the former elegance has been turned on again. That is great work! But to bring it back completely and to have a constistent frameless and rectangular layout you would need to also get rid of the frames sourrounding the covers and pictures as well as all menus. I think now it has become quiet clear that it is the frameless design that makes the difference or - as you said - that makes the skin look "slicker". Sometimes it is a matter of trial and error until you fnd out.

Transition and colors also look much better this way. Seems you now got it right as well. But the dark grey fonts on the fanarts are still hard to read (movie info screen with fanart in the background) when you are on "show more background"-option. Did you try a light grey or white font there? However, if you have this option disabled the transition of the fanart is not this strong so the grey fonts are readable then. Same applies if "show darker background"-enabled, because this option only affects the main menu wheras in the other sections you are obviously using the same low transition as if all options were disabled then.

So now you got me curious again as to what this skin will finally look like :-)

Brgds,

FantasticN

Edit: Another thing. Some texts do still show the old caps syle fonts, e.g. the headlines in the sub-settings menus, the weather section, the currently highlightet tv show in epg, the headline of the tv-show infos screen, the names of movies, cds or artists in some views like "banner" or "list low" etc. This also is in consistent. To have one style you would need to adjust those fonts as well. I think once you actually found about what you would like this skin to look like then you should head through all sections and assimilate them to that look (frameless rectangle design, fonts etc.).
hey, just wanted to pop-in and say great work.. the new flatter style updates are great. i agree with fantasticn's comments about the ++ skin, and look forward to getting a few more things back into this skin, more notably, the circles for home screen widgets, and the application screen where i can customize all the tiles.

otherwise, awesome.. my favorite skin by far. looking forward to finalizing the fonts and making all the views consistent with feature look.
Removed alaska fonts and borders and frames - available on Github
-- Added Alternate Applications screen as per previous mod
-- Settings area can now be set to a colour
-- Darker Background now available throughout the skin
-- White background is now an option in the Views section, with the middle background becoming the default
-- Fixed overlapping dialog bug when viewing filmography information
-- Added PVR layout change from original xperience 1080 update

watch gallery

Guys, some big changes here it has now become more of a merge of many of the different versions out there so I aim to rename it back to the original name. Hopefully there are no major bugs in, if so please let me know. Hope you like the changes Big Grin
When using the darker variant, the font for updates (trakt sync etc) are not readible.
Is it possible to use a light font when using the dark variant, and a dark font when using the light variant?

Lovely mod btw. Kudos +1
  • 6(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[MOD] Xperience1080++9