front and backend on Pi??
I have been running a light-hearted challenge on the openelec forum to see if ANYONE AT ALL can watch live tv on the Pi ( in my case dvb-t UK) for more than 1 hour without a/v sync issues.

This is with the following conditions:
1) front and backend on Pi
2) using TVH - or VDR - or anything elseSmile
3) any xbmc distro - openelec , raspbmc, xbian - you name it.

As of today 105 views, and NO replies!

Anybody had any success??

Pootler
I think there are people using vdr vompclient on the pi with success. A user Claus has at least asked questions about it on the english vdr mailing list (http://www.linuxtv.org/lists.php). The forums at the VDR Portal (http://www.vdr-portal.de) could also be a good place to ask your question (clausmuus is active there as well).

I'm myself running vdr on a standalone backend with multiple dvb-s2 cards. Using a mix of clients but my primary goal is to use rasperry pi's with vompclient.

Watching live tv is currently very stable with one exception. There are some non frequent audio chirps when the watching 720p broadcasted channels (Swedish channels SVT1 HD and SVT2 HD). All other channels work fine.

The audio chirps are most likely an issue in the demuxing or audio parsing part of the vompclient raspi implementation e.g. not an hardware issue since the same channels playback perfect using the omxplayer with a stream provided from the vdr plugin vdr-streamserver.

None of the channels suffer from a/v sync issues. Cannot comment on a/v sync issues if the pi is serving as both backend and fronted nor if the dvb-t is used.
A genuine thank you sirwio,

You are the first person who has replied - I shall check out your advice

thanks again

Pootler
I am almost 100% sure that a/v sync issues are not caused by the backends. They just submit packets with timestamps to XBMC. The problem is most likely in the caching done by OMXPlayer. Some backend may buffer the streams which may alleviate the issue. If omxplayer starts too early with playback (before the pr cache is filled) a/v player may run dry over time.
I did't test recently on the pi but a couple of weeks ago I needed this patch to make caching work correctly: https://github.com/FernetMenta/xbmc/comm...d149e4c010
Thank you fernetmenta,

I am a linux dummie - so I have no idea what you are talking about Smile

I can do some troubleshooting but ultimately I am a user.

My thread and the ''challenge'' on another forum has underlined to me how there are an awful lot of Pi users out there who still cannot get a live tv experience using ''front and backend'' add ons on the Pi.

When this whole problem occurred I think it was ''gimli'' (?) that said there was a problem with tvheadend on the Pi and mentioned VDR as a temporary solution.

Having spent weeks trying to get VDR to work I was so disappointed to see that it also has a/v sync issues. ( with front and backend on Pi)

Theres seems to be an awful silence of people with no success in this area.

Although I'm sure your patch may help, translating that to my language - i.e can I install from a zip file Smile - might not be easy?

Thank you for your comment on the current state of play - been with my Pi for six months now and must admit beginning to get a bit tired of the problems.

Cheers

Pootler

Thanks Sirwio,

But unfortunately as mentioned in the other thread, unless I can install from zip file I wouldn't have a clue how to install VOMP as a VDR client on the Pi Smile

Pootler

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
front and backend on Pi??0