Solved XBMC window is restored down
Hi,

Just got a new HTPC running Win 7 with XBMC 12.2 + Pioneer vsx-520 receiver, connected to a Samsung LCD TV. Here's my problem:
  • I start XBMC in full-screen mode.
  • Now, I change the source in the receiver (e.g. move to a DVD player connected to the same receiver).
  • Now, I change the source in the receiver and move back to the HTPC.
  • The XBMC window is now restored down (like if you click the "restore down" button that you have on the top right side of a standard window). I don't see XBMC in full-screen mode. The XBMC window now covers ~30% of the screen.
  • I tried the same test with another window (e.g a maximized Windows explorer window), changed the source in the receiver, changed back to the HTPC, and got the same result - the Windows explorer window is not in full-screen mode.

This is annoying because I have to close XBMC and reopen it in order to get it back to full-screen mode.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Erez
Sounds like your PC is detecting that the receiver is "gone" (ie disconnected), and is changing the screen resolution down to a "safe" value, like 800x600

When you then flick back, it's detecting that the display is there again, and setting the resolution back to the correct resolution.

There might be a setting on your AV receiver to prevent this, by keeping the HDMI port "active" when you change sources.
(2013-05-24, 11:28)ConfusedTA Wrote: Sounds like your PC is detecting that the receiver is "gone" (ie disconnected), and is changing the screen resolution down to a "safe" value, like 800x600

When you then flick back, it's detecting that the display is there again, and setting the resolution back to the correct resolution.

There might be a setting on your AV receiver to prevent this, by keeping the HDMI port "active" when you change sources.

Thanks. What should I look for in the receiver? Also, is there a way to prevent Windows from changing the resolution to 800*600 even when it thinks that the screen is disconnected?

Thanks,
Erez
Did you ever find a solution to this? I've had the same HTPC/Yamaha receiver/TV combo for the last 9 months, and I just started having this exact problem. I can't figure it out, and I'm tempted to use Openelec & dual boot Windows 7 (instead of XBMC on top of Windows 7).

Any help?
My Living Room Theater XBMC Mini-ITX Build
CASE: MI-100 - MOBO: ASRock A75M-ITX - APU: A6-3500
Kingston 4GB 1600MHz - SanDisk 128GB SSD -- DVDRW
W7 HP - Kodi 15 - Confluence | ATV1 w/BCM970015 & Crystalbuntu in the BR
I found a solution to this on AVS forum HERE.

I disabled AMD External Events Utility in Windows Services, and now my XBMC stays full screen, regardless if I turn off my AV receiver, switch inputs, turn off and back on my TV, etc. YAY!

Big Grin
Thanks for replying with the fix. Marked as solved.
(2014-09-19, 07:11)maddog808 Wrote: I found a solution to this on AVS forum HERE.

I disabled AMD External Events Utility in Windows Services, and now my XBMC stays full screen, regardless if I turn off my AV receiver, switch inputs, turn off and back on my TV, etc. YAY!

Big Grin

That didn't work for me. The AMD External Events Utility service is now stopped and disabled. I turned down the receiver, started it again and got a 1024*768 resolution (instead of 1920*1080).

Any idea?

Thanks,
Erez
(2014-09-21, 22:04)erezz Wrote:
(2014-09-19, 07:11)maddog808 Wrote: I found a solution to this on AVS forum HERE.

Big Grin

That didn't work for me. The AMD External Events Utility service is now stopped and disabled. I turned down the receiver, started it again and got a 1024*768 resolution (instead of 1920*1080).

Any idea?

Thanks,
Erez

I had the same problem, so I installed the XBMC launcher, and configured it to boot directly to XBMC without loading windows explorer shell. This seemed to be the combination that did the trick for me. It also regularly checks for focus, and gets XBMC back if it loses focus. Here is the forum post with XBMC Launcher.

Good luck & let me know if this works for you.

Matt

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC window is restored down0