streaming videos from home network to raspberry
I installed recently XBMC on Raspberry pi 2 with HDMI connection to TV , rapid WLAN and remote control via Yatse. It works smooth and delivers good quality movies from the Mediathek of german TV (ARTE, ZDF , ..). I have a 25 MB internet connection. However, when looking at my own videos from the PC in my home network it stops to stream after every 30 seconds.
I do not know why it is possible to stream from the web long movies, but having problems within my home windows network. (The data are on a Win 7 system.)
Please help!
The answer lies in your questionSmile The Pi does not like how or what your Win7 PC is streaming.
Have you tried streaming from you PC to another device? If the PC is slow or struggling then the data stream may not be consistent which the Pi will not like.
If it streams well to other devices, then you need to provide detail as to how it is streaming (uPNP, Windows share, etc), and the format of the files you are streaming. Also ideally an error log from the Pi - see http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Log_file
Thanks for the advices!
The streaming is over Windows network (SMB). The files are MOV or MP4. Photos (JPG or PNG) are coming also very slowly. Other device for streaming to is not yet available. (The installation of XMBC on an old Thinkpad with Xubuntu 10 failed.) The same videos are running without problems if plugged via USB. Therefore I think the format is not the obstacle.
I have no idea about other streaming methods you referred to.
At a wild guess I would say something is choking or delaying your PC responses. You need to isolate the problem further, its either a home network bottleneck (e.g. different link speeds or router struggling with incoming & outgoing WLAN streams at the same time) or a PC issue.
If you can I would try a wired connection from both pi and pc to your router to eliminate wireless issues.

If your Xubuntu thinkpad is working you could try Mediatomb on it. This is a UPnP share tool for Linux which your Pi can connect to. (works well from my Linux PC to my pi) VLC player on Windows can also view it, so you can compare responses of both machines to the same video.
Of course your Thinkpad may be too slow to be much use. You could also try a very low resolution video to separate bandwith issues from choppy or bad stream.
I thought of connecting wired, however the WLAN works perfect toward the web and therefore I think it does not change the situation. Nevertheless, I will try it tomorrow.(Here is late night.)
In what concerns the connection between Linux and Windows I am completely ignorant (except on the same computer). Until now I used only connections between Linux machines.
I have tried wired. No change. The same buffering occurs. Something else restricts the speed within the home network. I have no ideas any more and will transport my videos on USB stick to the Raspberry to see them on the TV screen.
try with a different protocol than SMB - its rubbish.

If you can set up an FTP server on your windows box, try that.
QNAP TS670 NAS - 4x4TB Raided with NFS Support & Central MySQL DB
Pi 3 [Xbian] - Samsung 46" ES7000 Smart TV & HT-E5550 3D BD Sound System
Pi 3 [Xbian]  + Hyperion Ambilight- Samsung 48" Curved UE48JS9000 4k
PowerEthernet T1502 Powerline adapters
smb from my nas here streaming easy mkv's 30gigs of size average.full hd 1080p DTS 25mb/s bitrate average
I wonder if there is a setting for the home network , that limits the speed!? I could not find it out.
Windows own home network is recommended in the user guides I found.
Just because I am curious about the reasons behind the problem I will install a newer Ubuntu on my laptop and start to experiment with XBMC on it. Otherwise, as I mentioned before, the easiest solution for me is an USB stick!
(2013-05-30, 16:04)rikardo1979 Wrote: smb from my nas here streaming easy mkv's 30gigs of size average.full hd 1080p DTS 25mb/s bitrate average

Smile

Apologies for saying its rubbish, I should have rephrased my comment, SMB is slower than the other protocols Smile

NFS > FTP/HTTP > SMB

(from my experience over last 2 years getting XBMC running on ATV2's and more recently the Pi's)
Installation of Ubuntu 12 on my old Laptop failed. I might try with something less.

Now, You say NFS is faster. Much faster? How to set it ? Just chose from XBMC on Rasberry the coresponding protocol, or one needs to do something also within the Win 7 PC ?
Thanks for the comments!
Win7 PC doesn't support NFS shares unless you install something like http://freenfs.sourceforge.net/

NFS is faster as its a "lighter" protocol. if you can configure FTP or NFS on your Windows 7 box, then the Pi will be able to see it and use it as a source.
Thank You! I will try it.
(2013-05-31, 10:45)nsviper Wrote: Win7 PC doesn't support NFS shares unless you install something like http://freenfs.sourceforge.net/

NFS is faster as its a "lighter" protocol. if you can configure FTP or NFS on your Windows 7 box, then the Pi will be able to see it and use it as a source.

With all respect I would like to point out once again that this should work fine even on SMB (tested as I using it) so I would say that the problem lies somewhere else Wink
I suppose You are right, but : where and how to search for the source of the problem?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
streaming videos from home network to raspberry0