streaming videos from home network to raspberry
a) Please use [code] tags when posting, or post long logs to pastebin...

b) Your CPU is maxed out 100%, at what point did you stop/start playing the video? Your Pi seems to be transmitting more data than it receives, which is odd (or a bug in the script).

c) Not sure if the MPG2 codec will help with this particular video codec or not - are you able to upload a sample somewhere?
Texture Cache Maintenance Utility: Preload your texture cache for optimal UI performance. Remotely manage media libraries. Purge unused artwork to free up space. Find missing media. Configurable QA check to highlight metadata issues. Aid in diagnosis of library and cache related problems.
Quote:Not sure if the MPG2 codec will help with this particular video codec or not
It is AVC so h.264 so supported out of the box, no need to buy the codec.
Quote:Please use [code] tags when posting, or post long logs to pastebin
I say forget the code tags for a log that long, just pastebinit.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2013-06-03, 01:49)nickr Wrote: It is AVC so h.264 so supported out of the box, no need to buy the codec.

So I wonder why the CPU is maxed out? Maybe it's a variety of h.264 that the Pi doesn't like? Though it's not clear if/when the video playback actually starts - there is some increased network traffic but it's transmitting rather receiving - so maybe something else other than video playback is chewing up the CPU.

According to the information in the above post, a very considerable amount of time is spent on iowait and soft irq, I'm guessing this is while using the badly performing WiFi? Or it's during writes to a very slow SD card.

Actually, I have no idea what the above trace information relates to as the OP didn't bother to give any context.
Texture Cache Maintenance Utility: Preload your texture cache for optimal UI performance. Remotely manage media libraries. Purge unused artwork to free up space. Find missing media. Configurable QA check to highlight metadata issues. Aid in diagnosis of library and cache related problems.
I think I see a potential reason. The AVC profile is Level 4.2. This thread http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewto...?f=7&t=274 suggests the Pi only supports up to Level 4.1.

Pressing O during playback should specify what decoding is being used, does that work on a Pi?
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2013-06-03, 00:51)MilhouseVH Wrote: a) Please use [code] tags when posting, or post long logs to pastebin...
b) Your CPU is maxed out 100%, at what point did you stop/start playing the video? Your Pi seems to be transmitting more data than it receives, which is odd (or a bug in the script).

c) Not sure if the MPG2 codec will help with this particular video codec or not - are you able to upload a sample somewhere?

a) I have just copied the term to a file, however I am aware, that line-end and other errors might have occured. Please give me detailed instructions how to do it better. I know neither [code] tag nor pastebin.
b) The video run to his end.
c) No idea about any source for the codec.
In short, I don't think a RPi has the ability to play the files generated by whatever is generating your files.
This video file was generated by a Sony-Ercison smartphone. I will try with other videos generated by my Kodak.
On the other hand, the test was made by connecting the Pi through DEVOLO (which seems to perform well) and not through WLAN.
I have checked: Pi can play without problems both AVC profile level4.0 and 4.2 from a USB stick, and with buffering over WLAN or DEVOLO.
Therefore, the suggestion of nickr was proven to be false.
Remarkably, whereas the DEVOLO connection is much better, the buffering problem is still identical!
(2013-06-03, 08:26)Banyailaci Wrote: a) I have just copied the term to a file, however I am aware, that line-end and other errors might have occured. Please give me detailed instructions how to do it better. I know neither [code] tag nor pastebin.

You can copy the terminal output to the Clipboard in PuTTY by simply selecting with the mouse, then paste into this post surrounded by [code] and [/code ] tags so that it doesn't lose its formatting.

OR

go to a site like pastebin.com, paste the details there and post the URL here, that way the thread doesn't become cluttered with huge amounts of data that few people will want to read.

(2013-06-03, 08:26)Banyailaci Wrote: b) The video run to his end.

The CPU is still pegged at 100% all the way through, along with HUGE iowait figures, even after the network activity ends (which presumably signifies the end of the video?), so what else is using all your CPU and causing all the heavy IO? If I didn't know better I'd say your system is busy doing something SD card related (reading and/or writing), your system is certainly not "idle" at the end.
I run the pi from the Ubuntu laptop, not from Win7. I tried to run again your command (after deleting the former bcmstat.sh file), thinking to add to it "| tee file". But it did not work, neither with this addition nor without.
I got the messages:
chmod: cannot acces '+x' . No such file ...
chmod : cannot acces '.bcmstat.sh/bcmstat.sh' No such file ...
and that was all.
Indeed I gave formerly '^c' to the end.
By the way, it is correct first to start your command and after the video, or opposite!?
The '| tee file' command I have tested before on a simple example.

On the other hand, perhaps You already saw, the suggestion that the AVC profile of the video is guilty, was false.
You only need to download and run the chmod command once. After that, use "./bcmstat.sh -x" to run the script each time.

To simultaneously view and capture the output of the script, use "./bcmstat.sh -x | tee capture.log" which will write the output to capture.log but I'd rather you didn't do this as it will just add to your already high IO overhead - it's easy enough to copy the terminal output to the system clipboard and pastebin it.

Also, run "top" to find out what is using all the CPU on your Pi, as this might explain why you have such heavy IO.
Thanks! You are loosing much time with my small problem.
I will tray all that, however probably not so soon since I will be very busy today and tomorrow.
By the way, in the meantime I installed putty on my Win7. It starts easily an ssh session on Pi, but strangely enough it refuses to connect to the Ubuntu laptop!? (ping recognizes it!)
Check you have enabled/started the ssh server on the Ubuntu laptop.
I was doing all the time ssh to pi (and back) from the laptop.
I have to check the firewall settings (taken over by Norton 360) on the PC.
I had a similar issue streaming from a W7 machine on a wired network, tried everything I could think of, ended up being an issue with the W7 machine's network card driver (Mine was a Realtek NIC). Updating it solved my particular issue. Worth a look?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
streaming videos from home network to raspberry0