• 64(current)
Linux VAAPI: Nuc, Chromebox, HSW, IVB, Baytrail with Ubuntu 14.04
I run sync display at start/stop, and with 1920x1080 at 50p (i.e. 1080/50p) as the bulk of my viewing is 50Hz content and it avoids frequent refresh rate changes. When I watch 24p or 60i/p content I get the usual blank screen as the TV (and amp) resync to the new refresh rate. This is for my main viewing.

720/25p is an unusual format. All "HD Ready" TVs sold in Europe will accept 1080/50i, 1080/60i, 720/50p and 720/60p as mandated by the HD Ready license. I don't see any reason to run XBMC at 720/25p rather than 720/50p - and the latter will give you full 2x de-interlace motion on 576i, 1080i and 720p broadcasts. Outputting at 720/25p limits you to 1x de-interlace (i.e. half the motion resolution) and will make native interlaced (and 50p) content judder.
Chaps, the 25Hz refreshrate referred to the old settings FernetMenta asked for! When chosing 1920x1080 resolution, that was set automatically. My - possibly naive - assumption was that 1920x1080 at 25Hz (for the full picture) corresponds to 1920x540 at 50Hz (for two half-pictures) (=1080i) so I did not question it at the time.

With 720p I can run 60 or 50Hz and am running 50Hz currently (just as fritsch suggested two days ago).
Anyone has that build of 4.2 beta 6 with the latest beta intel drivers and pachtes?
We now have one on the chromebox topic, will test it tonight. thx @matt / Sraue / Fritsch
Sorry, guys. Me again! More problems! ;-) I just hope this is at least going to be somewhat helpful at the end...

Had some problems with add-ons and wanted a clean install today.
I apt-get purged xbmc and xbmc-bin, removed the .xbmc directory and re-installed xbmc and xbmc-bin. On first entry I started to re-configure every single setting again from scratch. Aim was to obtain a truely clean version and back that up. OK, after applying my settings and copying my source and advancedsettings files in the userdata directory, I quit Kodi from the Power menu. The upstart script started Kodi again, but now I'm stuck in 1080p/i settings and cannot change that again. I could and did in the initial set-up, but now I cannot anymore. This is weird!

Any idea what causes that?

Thanks and best,

M4tt0
Nope. provide the relevant logfiles, that the first post wants to have.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
OK. Sorry, fritsch. Was able to resolve it! I saw that several Intel drivers were updated from Wsnipex's PPA and thought that just restarting kodi maybe wasn't good enough. I have now restarted ubuntu and can change the resolution again. Looks alright now. If I run into this again I will post debug logs!

Sorry for the hassle and best,

M4tt0

Actually, with your recommended 720p/50 settings the picture quality is even better now. In addition the stability issues have disappeared since. Thanks again!
I'm wondering what causes problems with fast forward at 16x and 32x speeds with these builds? Picture just jumps in time and shows freeze frames. It works fine with XBMC nightly builds (I just changed to the latest nightly away from these builds) and also with official 13.2 version. I'm using XBMCbuntu as a base system. Earlier this summer I noticed that OpenElec also had similar/worse problems, I haven't tested it lately. Files are SD-resolution .mkv files. System is i7-4790 with 8GB. Same happens with network and internal SSD-drive files.
Today i have updated to the newest xbmc and it instantly crashec. Have reverted back to 25.8 build enabled the debug log upgraded back and it seems that autoexec.py is crashing xbmc.
In this python there is only vnc startup.

Code:
import os, sys
os.system('DISPLAY=:0.0 /usr/bin/x11vnc -display :0 -bg -nopw -noxdamage -forever > /dev/null 2>&1');
sys.exit()

Debug log:
http://pastebin.com/NS7ZtU1v

Renaming autoexec.py to autoexec.py.old stops the crashing.
Even if there is just a blank autoexec.py file the xbmc crashes.

Also one note:
Is it possible to include into your repo the addons from this git https://github.com/adamsutton/xbmc-pvr-addons since this is the future addon for tvh.
I had the same issue with autoexec.py, so this is confirmed. Didn't have time to properly investigate, but I wonder if its got anything to do with X(i.e. starting too early on standalone).

as for tvh: you'll have to wait till Adam pushes those to opdenkamps repo.
Hello, I'm using xbmc with arch linux on a i3-3225 (HD 4000).

Live TV is via TVHeadend (v3.9git), and connection to xbmc (v13.2) is fine. Playback quality of HD videos is fine (e.g. 1080p @ 40mbps birds file is perfect), but live TV framerate / smoothness is poor, and looks very choppy.

I'm interested in using the hardware deinterlacing to see if this will improve things. Do I need to use Ubuntu for this? Or is there any way to access the hardware deinterlacers on arch? Is there anything else I should try first?

Thanks!
Build latest helix from git - without any arch specifics and use this intel driver: https://github.com/fritsch/libva-intel-d...tree/ppa14 - you will also need non released libva 0.3.6 and make sure you build my ppa14 branch.

I cannot provide any further support. If you want it working without other issues, follow the howto.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
Still testing. Still loving it! The system has been rock-solid for the last couple of days...

Have been doing some further research on my _old_ HD-ready Sony Bravia TV. The HDMI input only digests 480i, 480p, 576i,576p, 720p (active @ 50 Hz) and 1080i (sub-optimal). However, I figured out that the VGA connector input supports 1280 x 768 and a 1360 x 768 resolutions, albeit all on 60 Hz (I primarily watch German and UK Sat-TV). Two questions related to that:

(1) Would it actually improve the picture quality to switch from the HDMI to the VGA input (better resolution but potentially inferior vertical frq)? I have a NUC but a miniDisplayPort -> VGA adapter I could use for that.
(2) I'm using a HDMI switch to connect several HDMI sources to the TV, but also to split off SPDIF audio signals for my _old_ audio receiver. Right now, video and audio from the NUC run via HDMI. With video out via the miniDisplayPort -> VGA, could I send the audio (+ video) signal through the HDMI output of the NUC to the switch _in addition_? I know this test build has multi-display support, still unsure about this specific setup.

With best regards,

M4tt0
Quote:(1) Would it actually improve the picture quality to switch from the HDMI to the VGA input (better resolution but potentially inferior vertical frq)? I have a NUC but a miniDisplayPort -> VGA adapter I could use for that.

No! - Add a modeline for HDMI to do 1360x768 @50hz - find out first what the "native resolution" of this TV is.

Quote:(2) I'm using a HDMI switch to connect several HDMI sources to the TV, but also to split off SPDIF audio signals for my _old_ audio receiver. Right now, video and audio from the NUC run via HDMI. With video out via the miniDisplayPort -> VGA, could I send the audio (+ video) signal through the HDMI output of the NUC to the switch _in addition_? I know this test build has multi-display support, still unsure about this specific setup.

That's just insane - don't even think of minidisplayPort to VGA ... we live in 2k14
I have got a Sony Bravia KDL-40S2000E. Native resolution is 1366x768, but according to the manual the HDMI input only supports the resolutions quoted above. Doesn't matter?

P.S.: I actually had to buy that MiniDisplyPort -> VGA cable in order to enter the BIOS of my NUC as I only get a black screen via HDMI connection! In 2k14! Big Grin
  • 64(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
VAAPI: Nuc, Chromebox, HSW, IVB, Baytrail with Ubuntu 14.0416