• 4(current)
Linux VAAPI: Nuc, Chromebox, HSW, IVB, Baytrail with Ubuntu 14.04
"SNA hasn't become the default yet for the xf86-video-intel driver, although some distributions such as Ubuntu Linux have enabled it over UXA by default"
http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=ne...px=MTM4MTI

We all know Larabel is always right Smile

So I will try to switch to UXA and post the results.
(2013-05-31, 13:11)Frank-NL Wrote: "SNA hasn't become the default yet for the xf86-video-intel driver, although some distributions such as Ubuntu Linux have enabled it over UXA by default"
http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=ne...px=MTM4MTI

We all know Larabel is always right Smile

So I will try to switch to UXA and post the results.

Where did you spot the 100fps? In the system->information screen? Because that one is always very high because it constantly renders the screen. When you turn on debug mode (settings->system) you see the fps on the top of the screen. When I use that and go to the mainmenu it drops to about 34fps I think.

I also just noticed that I am using kernel 3.9.0 (3.9.0-030900-generic #201304291257 SMP Mon Apr 29 16:58:15 UTC 2013 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux). Maybe that makes a difference.
It's not just what's reported on the info screen. The transition effects, spinning controls and the RSS feed go faster too. So it's not just what's reported as fps, the interface looks and behaves very different.

I'm on the 3.9.4 kernel from the Ubuntu kernel team. So it shouldn't make that big of a difference.
Yep, it was definitely sna that caused it. I switched to uxa and without vsync still had a high fps but with vsync always on the interface fps now is stable at 50fps.

For those who experience this problem too, the switch works as follows:

Create the file 20-intel.conf under /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/ (it could be you have to create the directory if you don't have any other custom xorg rules).

The content of the file:

Section "Device"
Identifier "Intel Graphics"
Driver "intel"
Option "AccelMethod" "uxa"
EndSection

Fritsch, do I need to create a bug report for this somewhere?
Yes, with the ubuntu folks somewhere over at launchpad.

If you want to make some further tests, try with the xorg-edgers ppa (not recommended for a stable system), but that could already have solved that issue.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
Hi Fritch,

first of all thanks for your work.

For me this is not working, I can see the FPS jump to 50 when aktivating VAAPI Auto as Deinterlace mode, but the picture goes black, while sound continues playing.
When setting it back to BOB, the picture comes back. Maybee my intel core m350 is not compatible with VPP?

I have tested it with the version from ppa, and with self compiled versions of libva, libva-intel and xbmc with the VPP patches applied.

Debug log purly shows no errors, it is only saying something like starting VPP Thread...
With Ubuntu? It's XBMC that cannot handle sna in some cases right? Or do you mean report it here? https://github.com/FernetMenta/xbmc/

For now I am happy that all is working well so I won't try to break it again with xorg-edgers Smile
@Frank-NL: That is not an xbmc issue. It is an SNA issue. This build has nothing to do with fernetmenta.

@]dude[: I suspect so, but please post your logfile with debugging turned on, vainfo and dmesg | pastebinit

Edit: @Frank-NL: I think this is already solved with 2.21.8 intel driver - at least for me on my system it does not happen.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
OK, so 2.21.8 will come to the vaapi PPA? It has many sna fixes: http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/in...28277.html
Nope. No plans for this, as it is not an xbmc issue. We only provide what this PPA really needs.
I will stay on uxa in that case, I just tried it with xorg-edgers @ 2.21.8 but no difference so I am purging that PPA since it's of no use.
@Frank-NL:
I did some further tests and I can reproduce, even on OpenELEC that has 2.21.8 (but UXA by default), enabling SNB there manually causes exact this issue and btw. I can also reproduce it on my ivy bridge.
Setting: System -> Settings -> System -> Video Hardware to "Let driver choose" followed by a reboot seems to make it work, even with SNA. Can you verify this?
Yes, confirmed. Now on sna with Let driver choose and the fps is stable at 50.
Oki - i changed the installation howto. Looking through the OE archives, it is known for a long time, Thanks for sticking me to this topic!
Thank you for making this possible! Looking forward to the upcoming developments, like T/S Smile
  • 4(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
VAAPI: Nuc, Chromebox, HSW, IVB, Baytrail with Ubuntu 14.0416