Win Windows 7 won't recognize Onkyo AVR
Question 
I suspect my Dell Studio XPS7100, which uses a Radeon HD 4200, running windows 7, will not support LPCM 8-channel 24 bit 96 or 192 kHz sound over its HDMI port. Stated in manual: "Integrated 7.1 channel; High Definition audio with S/PDIF support". Not sure what is supported on the HDMI port. I am using XBMC Frodo 12.2.

XMBC does not recognize my Onkyo TX-SR707 AVR in its setup. Nor does Windows 7 recognize the AVR. XBMC video does display on the Samsung TV connected through the Onkyo AVR.

I have used MonInfo from the W7 PC and it does recognize the Onkyo and it does show that the Onkyo supports LPCM 8-channel 24 bit / 192 kHz sound as well as DTS-HD 16 / 192.

Assuming the PC will not support the audio format mentioned above, can someone recommend a graphics card that will support it? And perhaps what audio format spec in a graphics card I should look for?

Am I correct in assuming that if LPCM 8 channel sound is to be supported by this PC, the AVR model number will show up in the Windows 7 Sound Devices setup and in XBMC setup, e.g. "WASAPI: HDMI - TX-SR707 ( 4- High Definition Audio Device)" ?

I seem to have reached a deadend and just need some assistance. Confused

Thank you.

Frank
When you say "won't recognise" what do you mean? Is any sound coming out when you choose HDMI output in XBMC?
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
I apologize: I didn't realize you responded nickr.

The solution to the audio problem was to install a new graphics card. It now works fine with 7.1 sound.

I was getting sound through the HDMI jack, but only 2 channel sound.

What I meant by "won't recognize" is XBMC would not display the actual name of the AVR. Another computer with XBMC I have used does indeed display the receiver name in setup. I was expecting the XPS7100 computer to do the same.

I appreciate your attempt to help me and again apologize for not responding to your help.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Windows 7 won't recognize Onkyo AVR0