Oculus Rift Support
At a guess, this is probably going to be more likely when the Rift becomes an actual consumer product. With more users comes more development.
I am so glad to read the word "rift" in this forum! I would like to run kodi with the Samsung Gear VR.

Before I get flamed please understand, I know little to nothing about coding and this is why I would like to post my request here.

Why couldn't a modder just simply create a 2D side by side skin for the rift which in turn would work for the gear vr?

That's all I really need for my kodi addiction. Just a thought.
I just saw stereoscopic rendering is in the works, is it related? I was looking a while for a project, i might take this one on. I have the DK2 at home and i think i can handle some 3d work.
This will be my first open source project, anyone can connect me with the right people to get me started?

I haven't looked the the GUI code yet, but if it's 3D already it should be possible. I'm also looking into making an app for Oculus home i'll update here if i get anywhere with this. Oculus has a direct to hardware mode (no longer extended display) i'll need to figure that out. Maybe a skin will work...

if anyone is doing any work in that direction please let me know so i won't waste my time Wink
It is alot easier to do this in the Unity engine. Also will make a carboard port easier. If you still need the textures for your display mapping I can send you some. I am currently working on a Ultra Violet player in Unity porting the Python script on github otherwise I would help.
FWIW, I'm not sure if this project is still necessary. I wouldn't say no, mind you, but at the moment you can run VR Desktop and then put Kodi in SBS mode inside VR Desktop. And boom, you have what you need.
I'm looking into unity at the moment but will take me some time. I've tried VR Desktop but it is no longer free with the retail version of the oculus sdk, so this is only half a solution and anyway won't be good for cardboard, gearVR and similar solution for mobile.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Oculus Rift Support0