[Feature Request] Ignore Article when sorting
Hi,

I posted this in the 'big thread' before the dedicated forum was created (joethefox responded noting technical difficulty), but I thought I'd repost as a proper thread now that we're here.

In short, as it stands, nearly all videos are clumped under "A" or "T" due to the article with which the title starts ("A", "An", "The"). This makes browsing to an item within a long list a little hard, and generally one must search to find what they are looking for.

The request is to ignore the leading articles / use the same rules that xbmc follows regarding sorttitle / articles.

Thanks,
maybe there was a misunderstanding, the ignore article feature isn't an easy task due the fact even if I ask to XBMC the movies list with the ignore articles on, when the app have to put the items into the letters sections, I loose the ignore article order. The only solution I see is to replicate the logic for ignore articles inside the app, for every language that XBMC supports!!!!
Would it be possible to ask another programmer how ignore "the" is done. It is an option in constellation, which has its limitations in regards to playlists. If you could put your ideas together, both apps would benefit.
(2013-06-04, 19:52)joethefox Wrote: maybe there was a misunderstanding, the ignore article feature isn't an easy task due the fact even if I ask to XBMC the movies list with the ignore articles on, when the app have to put the items into the letters sections, I loose the ignore article order. The only solution I see is to replicate the logic for ignore articles inside the app, for every language that XBMC supports!!!!

So is this a bug with the was xbmc handles the ignore articles request?
Also would like to see this being fixed. It works well within Kodi and also within most 3rd party apps. Hope there can be a way for the official Kodi remote app to support it. Thanks for looking into it.
Server: Asus Sabertooth Z77 | Intel Core i5 3.4 GHz | 16 GB DDR3 | 128 GB SSD, 82 TB (9 x 6 TB, 7 x 4 TB)
HTPC 1: Raspberry Pi 2 | HTPC 2: Raspberry Pi 2 | HTPC 3: Raspberry Pi
Need a little help please. I'm running "Helix" v.14. I have "Ignore articles when sorting" checked under Appearance - Settings. However, it only sorts movies with "The" correctly. It sorts movies such as A Bugs Life and An Unfinished Life in the "A" section.

Am I missing something?

(Just noticed this is for iOS thread... I'll go repost as I'm having an issue with Kodi on Windows.)
(2015-01-24, 21:08)srelliott Wrote: Need a little help please. I'm running "Helix" v.14. I have "Ignore articles when sorting" checked under Appearance - Settings. However, it only sorts movies with "The" correctly. It sorts movies such as A Bugs Life and An Unfinished Life in the "A" section.

Am I missing something?

(Just noticed this is for iOS thread... I'll go repost as I'm having an issue with Kodi on Windows.)

You can add additional sort articles in Advancedsettings.xml#sorttokens (wiki). This should give you what you need:

PHP Code:
<advancedsettings>
    <
sorttokens>
        <
token>the</token>
        <
token>a</token>
    </
sorttokens>
</
advancedsettings
(2015-01-25, 22:37)tyers Wrote: You can add additional sort articles in Advancedsettings.xml#sorttokens (wiki). This should give you what you need:

Thanks for responding. I did exactly that (and added an as well) yesterday from the new thread I started here.
(2013-06-04, 19:52)joethefox Wrote: maybe there was a misunderstanding, the ignore article feature isn't an easy task due the fact even if I ask to XBMC the movies list with the ignore articles on, when the app have to put the items into the letters sections, I loose the ignore article order. The only solution I see is to replicate the logic for ignore articles inside the app, for every language that XBMC supports!!!!

How is the progress coming on this. It is a deal breaker for this app, too many people have asked for it for quite some time now. Please implement this so we all can enjoy using the official remote instead of using Constellation or Yatse, depending on which platform is being used.
Joethefox, please add ignore a, an, and the in the remote app for English at least, please
This is the only thing holding this app back from being one of if not the best remote app for kodi

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[Feature Request] Ignore Article when sorting1