Issue with xmltv on Tvheadend 3.4@Synology
I installed using the the TVHeadend 3.4 package for arm based on spksrc on 210j.

I have it working well except the EPG's, I'm trying to use the mc2xml for North America OTA channels.

Any help would be appropriated.

Thanks
Satz
Synology 210j NAS + TvHeadend + HDHomeRun + Raspbmc
I had trouble too. You haven't said what you've tried or where you're having problems, so this is pretty general. I didn't document everything when I did it, so you'll have to fill in some gaps...

-copy mc2xml to a directory of your choice.
-make it executable (chmod 755 mc2xml)
-run it for a first time (for the US: ./mc2xml -c us -g YourZipCode ; for Canada ./mc2xml -c ca -g YourPostalCode). This will download your xml guide data.
-Follow the prompts to select an appropriate provider for your location. I didn't use the OTA data. I just chose a local cable provider and then mapped my channels with tvheadend's web interface.

-set up a cron job to do a daily mc2xmldownload
-read up on the mc2xml site for tips on downloading only the channels you want with a mc2xml.chl file.

Go get tv-grab-file. Copy it to /usr/bin. Edit the path in tv-grab-file to where your xmltv data resides:
Code:
wget http://code.google.com/p/tv-grab-file/
sudo cp tv_grab_file /usr/bin/tv_grab_file
sudo nano /usr/bin/tv_grab_file  (...and edit "cat ~/.xmltv/tv_grab_file.xmltv" to "cat ~/mc2xml/xmltv.xml")  or the path/filename to where you downloaded your xmltv guide data

-Fire up your browser and load tvheadend's web interface. Navigate to Configuration->Channel/EPG->EPG Grabber tab. In the Internal Grabber Section, scroll down to the bottom of the Module box and pick "XMLTV:tv_grab_file...". Choose a grab interval of 12 or 24 hours (xml tv data is only updated once a day, so you don't need to "grab" it more often). Click Save. Your Guide data will be imported. You can now use the web interface to map your channels.
(2013-06-03, 22:52)doug Wrote: I had trouble too. You haven't said what you've tried or where you're having problems, so this is pretty general. I didn't document everything when I did it, so you'll have to fill in some gaps...

-copy mc2xml to a directory of your choice.
-make it executable (chmod 755 mc2xml)
-run it for a first time (for the US: ./mc2xml -c us -g YourZipCode ; for Canada ./mc2xml -c ca -g YourPostalCode). This will download your xml guide data.
-Follow the prompts to select an appropriate provider for your location. I didn't use the OTA data. I just chose a local cable provider and then mapped my channels with tvheadend's web interface.

-set up a cron job to do a daily mc2xmldownload
-read up on the mc2xml site for tips on downloading only the channels you want with a mc2xml.chl file.

Go get tv-grab-file. Copy it to /usr/bin. Edit the path in tv-grab-file to where your xmltv data resides:
Code:
wget http://code.google.com/p/tv-grab-file/
sudo cp tv_grab_file /usr/bin/tv_grab_file
sudo nano /usr/bin/tv_grab_file  (...and edit "cat ~/.xmltv/tv_grab_file.xmltv" to "cat ~/mc2xml/xmltv.xml")  or the path/filename to where you downloaded your xmltv guide data

-Fire up your browser and load tvheadend's web interface. Navigate to Configuration->Channel/EPG->EPG Grabber tab. In the Internal Grabber Section, scroll down to the bottom of the Module box and pick "XMLTV:tv_grab_file...". Choose a grab interval of 12 or 24 hours (xml tv data is only updated once a day, so you don't need to "grab" it more often). Click Save. Your Guide data will be imported. You can now use the web interface to map your channels.

Thanks Doug for the detailed steps,
I did try the tv-grab-file step in another way following a post on tvheadend.org, that didn't work, tvheadend didn't find the it on EPG grabber tab!!

I might not have set right permissions, let me try your steps tonight.

thanks
satz
Doug,

I couldn't get the get the tv-grab-file show in Internal Grabber Section, Could that be any issue with permission or something?

Thanks
Satz
I'm not a linux guru at all, but I'm going to say probably not. Double check the file is there...
Code:
cd /usr/bin
ls -lah tv_grab_fi*
You can also see from that command if the file permissions are the same as the other files in /usr/bin.

If your permissions are different, change them with:
sudo chmod 755 tv_grab_file

Did you restart the tvheadend server or restart your NAS? I didn't put that in the instructions, but I'm thinking it might be necessary so that tvheadend loads that new grabber.
(2013-06-09, 02:53)doug Wrote: I'm not a linux guru at all, but I'm going to say probably not. Double check the file is there...
Code:
cd /usr/bin
ls -lah tv_grab_fi*
You can also see from that command if the file permissions are the same as the other files in /usr/bin.

If your permissions are different, change them with:
sudo chmod 755 tv_grab_file

Did you restart the tvheadend server or restart your NAS? I didn't put that in the instructions, but I'm thinking it might be necessary so that tvheadend loads that new grabber.

Yep, I did restart the service couple of times and rebooted as well.. not sure what's missing. it doesn't show up!!!
What is your output for the following command?
Code:
ls -lah /usr/bin/tv_grab_fi*
(2013-06-11, 22:55)doug Wrote: What is your output for the following command?
Code:
ls -lah /usr/bin/tv_grab_fi*

this is what it shows, i tried with root, it didn't work, then looked at tvheadend running using tvheadend user, i changed the user to be tvheadend. no luck!!
Code:
-rwxr-xr-x 1 tvheadend root 1.1K Jun 10 21:31 /usr/bin/tv_grab_file
If I give that command, you can see there are other grabbers there:
Code:
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root  56K Sep 20  2012 /usr/bin/tv_grab_fi
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 1.1K May 19 23:19 /usr/bin/tv_grab_file
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root  17K Sep 20  2012 /usr/bin/tv_grab_fi_sv
This is from a Ubuntu 12.04 server. So perhaps your grabbers are in a different location. Just a guess.
Were there other grabbers listed in the Module box of the Internal Grabber part of the web interface? If so, try finding where the other grabbers are:
Code:
sudo find / -name 'tv_grab*'
Doug,
i don't find anything on the modules drop down,
External interfaces have following, but i dont find xmltv.sock and pyepg.sock at that location, I may be missing something!!
Code:
/usr/local/tvheadend/var/epggrab/xmltv.sock
/usr/local/tvheadend/var/epggrab/pyepg.sock
have you installed the xmltv package?
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2013-06-13, 06:26)nickr Wrote: have you installed the xmltv package?

Not sure, i installed the tvheadend package from synocomunity. Is that a separate package? where can i get it from?
sudo apt-get install xmltv
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
There is no apt-get in synology arm NAS, only ipkg!

Looking at the synocomunity issue log, there are other people have similar issue with xmltv!!

thanks doug and nickr. i just need to leave it as it's for now!!
Sorry I missed that when posting my suggestion (despite your very clear subject line). Frankly I am unsure if you need the xmltv package to get it to work, but felt it might help. Is there an ipkg for xmltv?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Issue with xmltv on Tvheadend 3.4@Synology0