XBMCbuntu laptop lid
Ok, I've been looking for info on this topic and I have not yet found any help. I installed XBMCbuntu on my laptop (32 bit. Fri, 03 May 2013 AMD-Intel). I am connecting it to my TV with a VGA cable. Everytime I try to close the lid to the laptop, the screen goes blank. I have gone into the desktop and changed the settings to "do nothing" when the lid is closed, but when I'm in XBMC, it still occurs. Is there a way to fix this in XBMC?
This has to do with power settings in Ubuntu for the session.
You have changed it for the desktop but that is not running when XBMC is started up as a seperate session.
I helped someone solve this over a year ago but can't find the thread :S

I believe it might be solved by setting the default for the entire system like this:
Code:
At the bottom of /etc/UPower/UPower.conf, set IgnoreLid=true
Hello all,
I'm really just taking first steps in xbmc and Linux. This has come along since my laptop screen broke and I decided it would make a great xbmc box as it would be great for the kids and me Smile..
So after looking at the possibilitys I went for the xbmcbuntu which really impressed in the installation.

I have been reading and testing for a few days now but I still haven't even been able to edit this (by now) very annoying upower.conf file as it seems no to give me permission to edit it. Can't save because it can't write to file is the error message. What am I doing wrong? I'm using atom to edit it but have tried to find a way to do it through a terminal but am a bit lost on really how to do it..

Any guides for absolute noobs like me or even just a link, anything would be very much appreciated.. I just want to close the lid without it going in to hibernation.. Please
You need to use sudo, which will give you admin superpowers.

You can either use SSH - see http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Ssh to log in, or you can sit in front of the machine and hit ctrl-alt-f2 to get a terminal.

Then type
Code:
sudo nano -w /path/to/upower.conf

You will be asked for your password, and once you have entered that you will be in an editor. The ctrl keys for exiting etc are shown at the bottom.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Thanks for the guidance it's very much appreciated, I've finally been able to set the Ignorelid=true, unfortunately it doesn't seem to have done the trick and the laptop still hibernates when I close the lid.

Also noticed that there is new file saved in the Upower folder called upower.conf.save which seems an exact copy of the original.(including Ignorelid=true)

Maybe if I turn of hibernation all together it would work, how to do that exactly?
By the way, the words "admin Superpowers" really sold it well. :p Will be using ssh and nano from now on. Thanks Blush
Hello,

I have now tried a few changes that I have found both here and in Ubuntu forums and I still havent had any success.Confused

1 - Sudo -H nano /etc/UPower/UPower.conf, and set IgnoreLid=true

Made no difference

2 - sudo -H nano /etc/systemd/logind.conf, and set HandleLidSwitch=ignore
sudo restart systemd-logind

Made no difference

3 - Installed dconf-tools
Installed gnome-power-manager

Went to org => gnome => setting-deamon => plugins => power, set lid functions to nothing

Made no difference

I'm running the lastest xbmcbuntu on acer i3 Laptop that with windows7 worked fine with lid down.
Could it be something to do with the drivers?
Should I try to removethe magnet from the screen part?

Any advise would be welcome.

Thanks
edit: /etc/systemd/logind.conf

change
#HandleLidSwitch=suspend

to
HandleLidSwitch=ignore
Star 
Thank you very much,

I had already chabged #HandleLidSwitch=suspend to #HandleLidSwitch=ignore, which hadnt worked.
But by removing the # from the beginning it works perfectly.

Problem solved Woohoo
# means comment, ie ignore this line.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Thanks a lot. I spent hours trying to solve it until I saw this post. I also missed the #. Now I have removed it and when I close the lid of the laptop the system doesn't suspend and I can use the TV attached to the VGA port without having the laptop screen on.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMCbuntu laptop lid0