Win Issue with nighty builds : Interface frozen
Hello.

It's been several days that i try to build last master. I first thought issues were on my own, but i've encounter them on the nighty build : XBMCSetup-20130604-83ba7c1-master.exe.

When i start XBMC, interface is frozen. Even if hit key arrows, nothing happend, and display is not even refreshed, it's frozen, nothing change. This is what i have :

After hiting [ALT]+[F4] and waiting more than a dozen of seconds, xbmc quit... But not totaly, because i've to kill an xbmc.exe which still was in the task manager.
Log is here.

So, i've tested my own build i've just made (036c754). Interface was not frozen, but i have to wait for more than a dozen of seconds each time i wanted to enter in a directory. After a long time i've been able to reach my directory, and hit on a file. After one minute, play hasn't started yet, so, i hit [ALT]+[F4]. After another minute, nothing happened, so i killed xbmc in the task manager.
Log is here.

As it can be seen, it took 25s to enter the directory !!
Code:
13:56:02 T:2680   DEBUG: Keyboard: scancode: 0x50, sym: 0x0112, unicode: 0x0000, modifier: 0x0
13:56:02 T:2680   DEBUG: CApplication::OnKey: down (0xf081) pressed, action is Down
13:56:03 T:2680   DEBUG: Keyboard: scancode: 0x1c, sym: 0x000d, unicode: 0x000d, modifier: 0x0
13:56:03 T:2680   DEBUG: CApplication::OnKey: return (0xf00d) pressed, action is Select
13:56:03 T:2680   DEBUG: CGUIMediaWindow::GetDirectory (E:\PB_XBMC\)
13:56:03 T:2680   DEBUG:   ParentPath = [sources://video/]
13:56:28 T:2680   DEBUG: ------ Window Init (DialogBusy.xml) ------
13:56:28 T:2680   DEBUG: Saving fileitems [E:\PB_XBMC\]
13:56:28 T:2680   DEBUG:   -- items: 27, sort method: 0, ascending: false

A build i've made the 20/05/2013 is working perfectly fine.
Any idea of the devs ? Should this post be moved somewhere else more appropriate ?
I've just retry with a build made this mornnig, still unusuable.
You have log here.
This time, interface don't take too long to begin to respond.
So i've done system -> parameters and .... wait... wait...
Wait 23s as it can be seen :
Code:
15:10:25 T:1960   DEBUG: Keyboard: scancode: 0x1c, sym: 0x000d, unicode: 0x000d, modifier: 0x0
15:10:25 T:1960   DEBUG: CApplication::OnKey: return (0xf00d) pressed, action is Select
15:10:25 T:1960   DEBUG: CApplication::ExecuteXBMCAction : Translating ActivateWindow(Settings)
15:10:25 T:1960   DEBUG: CApplication::ExecuteXBMCAction : To ActivateWindow(Settings)
15:10:25 T:1960   DEBUG: Activating window ID: 10004
15:10:25 T:1960   DEBUG: ------ Window Deinit (Home.xml) ------
15:10:25 T:1960   DEBUG: ------ Window Init (Settings.xml) ------
15:10:25 T:1960    INFO: Loading skin file: Settings.xml, load type: KEEP_IN_MEMORY
15:10:28 T:2200   DEBUG: CAESinkDirectSound::Deinitialize: Cleaning up
15:10:28 T:2200   DEBUG: Suspended the Sink
15:10:51 T:1960    INFO: initializing python engine.
15:10:51 T:1960   DEBUG: new python thread created. id=4

After, i wanted to quit, and selected exit...
After around 10mn, xbmc was still not exited, and nothing responded, obliged to turn of power.
You can take a look at the log.
It's been almost a week that xbmc master versions i'm compliling are unusuable.
I don't know what have been changed recently, but things are totaly screwed up !
I've made another build today, and try it.
On the first launch (log is here), as usualy, UI froze for a dozen of seconds. The result is the following :
You can see display still have transparancy.
One thing can be seen in the log, a lot of things are tagged at "18:01:45", including around 21 key pressed... I know for sure i didn't press all these key during 1 second !!! Are you sure you don't have a clock issue Huh
So, i've done System->parameters.... and again waiting around a dozen of seconds with this displayed :
After, i hit [ALT]+[F4] to exit. It killed the display but not the xbmc.exe process i have to kill in the task manager.
Again, UI was slow as hell.

I started it a second time. Log is here.
UI slow as hell as before, i manage to access my directory with the files. I select one file and "Enter" to play it....
Play never started. "PrintScreen" didn't work, so, no screenshot avaible. [ALT]+[F4] didn't work, but this time, i've been able to access task manager to kill process, instead of being obliged to switch power off.

You have a lot of information now, i'll open a bug ticket.
Please open a ticket first if you're not the only one having this problem (and it won't bring you further if we don't have a way to reproduce). Try to start from scratch by renaming your settings folder.
Make sure that your don't have any media in your optical drives. If L:, N:, O: are virtual drives disable them completely.
If that works go back step for step and see where it hangs.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
Maybe it's lost in all my posts, but only very recent build are doing this. I have a build i've made the 20/05/2013, and everything is working perfectly fine with it. All these issues are caused by very recent changes.
I don't have virtual drives. L,N, O are optical drives, and all my optical drives were empty.
I don't understand what you mean by "Try to start from scratch by renaming your settings folder.".
No it didn't get lost but nothing is frozen on my setup so its nothing one can see at once. You are using nightly developer builds which aren't meant for production usage. It means also that they could interfere with older settings. Renaming your userdata folder will generate fresh configs for testing without loosing your old content. If it works then without hanging its something with your settings.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
I know nightly are at "own risk", but i'm testing and reporting (like here) when i encounter issues.
Don't have time to recompile, so i've downloaded "XBMCSetup-20130609-afc19f7-master.exe".
First, try with actual settings. Still same issue at starting.
I hit [ALT]+[F4], interface quit, but XBMC.exe was still present in task manager, and was doing very intensive... I don't know what, but, full full !! You can see that here (100% one 1 CPU -> 13% average on 8) :

Log is here.

I uninstall, rename my settings folder, re-install, start... No change, exact same issues.
...................Rolleyes
To try to locate, i've downloaded almost all the nightly version avaible on the web page.

All versions until "XBMCSetup-20130529-e1aaba0-master.exe" included worked fine.
You can find the log of this one here.

Troubles begin with "XBMCSetup-20130603-75828ba-master.exe".
You can find it's log here.
First, i thought it worked, because interface appeared immediately. But when i try to enter in my directory, issues begin. As you can see in the log, it took 21s to enter in it.
Code:
23:06:28 T:1860   DEBUG: CApplication::OnKey: return (0xf00d) pressed, action is Select
23:06:28 T:1860   DEBUG: CGUIMediaWindow::GetDirectory (E:\PB_XBMC\)
23:06:28 T:1860   DEBUG:   ParentPath = [sources://video/]
23:06:49 T:1860   DEBUG: ------ Window Init (DialogBusy.xml) ------
23:06:49 T:1860   DEBUG: Saving fileitems [E:\PB_XBMC\]
Then, i select the same file than with previous tested version for play. As usualy, play never started. Try to capture screen but without success. Try to exit, [ALT]+[F4], without success, push "OFF" button to initiate exit on Windows, without success, try to access task manager, without success, it didn't appeared. Only Windows mouse cursor appeared (not XBMC mouse cursor). PC doesn't seem frozen : The mouse cursor mouved when mouse is mouved, keyboard doesn't seem frozen, because "NumLock" led toggle when i hit "NumLock" key, but neither mouse or keybord had effect. I've finaly been obliged to push "Reset" button...Sad
Just a quick question. If you test this with empty settings windows, how come there is an advancedsettings in your log ?

Other useful information that the programmers might ask for: Is there anything special about that disk you are navigating to ?

Holy oldschool batman! I just saw your screenshots.
Are you running each build with the "-p" (portable switch) from its own folder, and thus creating a new blank userdata folder each time?

Might be something to try.
(2013-06-11, 18:28)Kibje Wrote: Just a quick question. If you test this with empty settings windows, how come there is an advancedsettings in your log ?
Because test with empty settings has been done only on post #8. And as i've said, it changes nothing. So, there is no log with the empty settings, but, i'll do one, i don't mind !

(2013-06-11, 18:28)Kibje Wrote: Other useful information that the programmers might ask for: Is there anything special about that disk you are navigating to ?
No... It's an internal HDD, nothing special.

(2013-06-11, 18:28)Kibje Wrote: Holy oldschool batman! I just saw your screenshots.
I simply don't like the new visuals.
So, i've done the following : rename setting directory to have empty settings, install a working version to enable log and create a video path folder, uninstall it, and test begin with "XBMCSetup-20130609-afc19f7-master.exe".

First launch, full debug log is here.
I've started xbmc, speed was Ok in the start, then, i enter my directory... froze during around 10s, then files are displayed, i hit "down arrow", several times... nothing happend during again around 10s, then select bar suddenly take position several file down. These two 10s steps can be seen in the log.
Code:
20:44:08 T:2704   DEBUG: CGUIMediaWindow::GetDirectory (E:\PB_XBMC\)
20:44:08 T:2704   DEBUG:   ParentPath = [sources://video/]
20:44:18 T:3008   DEBUG: CAESinkDirectSound::Deinitialize: Cleaning up
20:44:18 T:3008   DEBUG: Suspended the Sink
20:44:28 T:2704   DEBUG: ------ Window Init (DialogBusy.xml) ------
20:44:28 T:2704   DEBUG: Saving fileitems [E:\PB_XBMC\]
Then, i hit [ALT]+[F4] to quit. I hit several times, it takes longer than usual to exit. There still was an xbmc.exe process in task manager i have to kill afterward, nevertheless, this time, CPU usage was 0%.

Second launch, full debut is here.
My purpose was to try to exit properly. So, i've done the same thing, enter the directory and realise... Reseting settings was a bad idea ! Because simply browsing the file (using "down arrow) was almost impossible !!! It seems that xbmc tried for each file to create a thumb picture (i normaly disable this feature). As can be seen in the log, each time it's taking a hell of a time !!! Nevertheless, i hit several time [ESC], and after a while, being able to get back to first menu. Speed Ok again, go to exit menu, select Exit... It was 20h52.
Code:
20:52:18 T:916   DEBUG: CApplication::OnKey: return (0xf00d) pressed, action is Select
20:52:18 T:916   DEBUG: CApplication::ExecuteXBMCAction : Translating XBMC.Quit()
20:52:18 T:916   DEBUG: CApplication::ExecuteXBMCAction : To XBMC.Quit()
20:52:18 T:916   DEBUG: CAnnouncementManager - Announcement: OnQuit from xbmc
At 21h30, the XBMC screen with the exit menu was still displayed, nothing worked, been obliged to push the "Reset" button of PC. Nevertheless, PC doesn't seem to be frozen.
I didn't realise the thumb on the 1rst launch...
So, i've re-installed a working version, do the same thing (browsing, etc...) and exit.
Full log is here.

I don't know if it's related, and because there is also issues with my settings, which have thumbs disabled. But when i compare what is done to extract thumbs....!! Either more are logged, or a big lot of things are done more ! All these audio, subtitles stream decoded, not logged in the working version. I've usualy seen this kind of log only when starting a file, not just while browsing them !! Can it be a clue ??
Unfortunately I have no idea. The problem with the release cycles is that in the beginning of every month too many changes go in at once to track down the culprit. Another point is that it looks like that it only happens for you which makes tracking down the problem even more difficult.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Issue with nighty builds : Interface frozen0