Plex seems to have gone almost 100% paid for new features
It's freaking Media Center software... dont you think you're being a bit over the top dramatic ?

Choose what's best NOW and next time you have some spare time, look around again....

I've been using Plex since OSXBM days and I honestly dont care who is right or wrong in this Plex vs XBMC war but it does not paint good picture about XBMC developers when they flame Plex based on Plex' weakest client. PMC/PHT is less than 10th of the whole Plex umbrella.

Regarding 70 or so bucks for PlexPass ... please dont be childish. If you cant afford few bucks for Media Center software ( be it XBMC, Plex, JR River, DVBlink etc ) then its time to reconsider your profession and hobby. (btw, I was also starving student in the past but I was not flaming companies for charging for their product )

I wish somebody else would charge money in order to improve and hire talented people to actually create something nearly as polished as Kaleidescape but flexible with Live TV that would rival 5 years old MCE.

(2013-06-29, 22:34)kreeturez Wrote: Why should we trust you?

I'm glad you listened to all the complaints about that and recanted, but what's not to say that ever happens again? With the manner in which you started your product, I'm not sure I'd declare you all that ethical. Do I want to trust my entire media experience to you, then?

And as a commercial undertaking, what happens to your user-base if a company that doesn't have your users' best interests at heart buys you out?

I wouldn't chance it. So my vote goes to using Plex as a source of ideas for XBMC. And nothing more. Sorry, man.
* natethomas looks around, wonders what devs Wally is talking about.
Ah, in review, I'm guessing Wally is making a basic mistake. We (Team XBMC) don't especially care what Plex do with any of their clients. What we care about is that our IP (the XBMC software) isn't stolen. The contention between the two orgs is primarily one in which XBMC team members are concerned that Plex may eventually use our software in violation of our software license. Some XBMC devs believe this is already happening from a moral perspective, though everyone acknowledges that it is not happening from a legal perspective.

I, personally, am happy to stick with the legal perspective, as I believe there is value in being licensed under the GPL 2, but to each his own.

I would appreciate it if you would refrain from being derisive of the opinions of other users when discussing this or any topic. Calling users childish for a perfectly valid opinion is a pretty clear violation of the forum rule requiring that all users be respectful of all other users.
(2013-11-28, 23:19)wally007 Wrote: Regarding 70 or so bucks for PlexPass ... please dont be childish. If you cant afford few bucks for Media Center software ( be it XBMC, Plex, JR River, DVBlink etc ) then its time to reconsider your profession and hobby. (btw, I was also starving student in the past but I was not flaming companies for charging for their product )

You're missing my point. The 'Donor' logo under my handle indicates a minimum $50-Donation to the XBMC Foundation. And for the record, I've done that a few times now. More than enough to buy a lifetime PlexPass. Or three.

So it's not the 'starving student' scenario. It's principle.

Also I have to say, I'm a little surprised Elan failed to mention XBMC - at all - in his tout about PHT's official 1.0 release (http://elan.plexapp.com/2013/11/23/plex-...-released/ ) - considering the fact that over 90% of that code (yes, I've looked at it) is straight XBMC. But maybe that's just me.

In any case, if you read above your post you'll see MediaBrowser3 has pretty much plugged the open-source gap for what XBMC doesn't do. (And yes, I've donated there now too.)

So between these two products (MB3 and XBMC), Plex is moot - at least to me: and more than one of my colleagues has moved from Plex to MB3 - perhaps try it out some time.

(2013-11-28, 23:43)natethomas Wrote: I would appreciate it if you would refrain from being derisive of the opinions of other users when discussing this or any topic. Calling users childish for a perfectly valid opinion is a pretty clear violation of the forum rule requiring that all users be respectful of all other users.

Thanks, Nate :-) For this, and for all your contribution to this community in general.
Quote:In any case, if you read above your post you'll see MediaBrowser3 has pretty much plugged the open-source gap for what XBMC doesn't do. (And yes, I've donated there now too.)
Well it will do once it works on a few more OSes Smile Watching keenly here!
Quote:Thanks, Nate :-) For this, and for all your contribution to this community in general.
+1
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2013-11-29, 01:30)nickr Wrote:
Quote:In any case, if you read above your post you'll see MediaBrowser3 has pretty much plugged the open-source gap for what XBMC doesn't do. (And yes, I've donated there now too.)
Well it will do once it works on a few more OSes Smile Watching keenly here!

As well! (How's their WebUI!? Astonishing!).

Plus if you check the (C#) code out, you'll see how incredibly well-written it is.

The XBMC plugin (available at http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=178180 ) also does a rather nice integration with XBMC, even in its current 'Alpha' state!

Exciting stuff...
Agree, not worth talking about other mediacenter anymore.

XBMC remains the best client and Mediabrowser Server is opensource and adds the functionality that we had been missing. While I would have loved the projects to merge, I am also more than happy the way how both are now evolving. MB Server is exceptional and allows streaming to IOS when away from home. And my living room stays with the beauty and convenience of XBMC!!!
Server: Asus Sabertooth Z77 | Intel Core i5 3.4 GHz | 16 GB DDR3 | 128 GB SSD, 82 TB (9 x 6 TB, 7 x 4 TB)
HTPC 1: Raspberry Pi 2 | HTPC 2: Raspberry Pi 2 | HTPC 3: Raspberry Pi
(2013-11-28, 23:19)wally007 Wrote: Regarding 70 or so bucks for PlexPass ... please dont be childish. If you cant afford few bucks for Media Center software ( be it XBMC, Plex, JR River, DVBlink etc ) then its time to reconsider your profession and hobby. (btw, I was also starving student in the past but I was not flaming companies for charging for their product )

Who said anything about not affording it? I can afford a lot of things, but if it's not properly justified then I probably won't buy it. Maybe I'm weird that way.

IMO, a better question is whether the $75 PlexPass is justified. For some people I'm sure it is. I've personally been pretty pleased with the XBMC+MB3 solution. What is the feature gap between XBMC+MB3 (free) and Plex ($75)?
I use XBMC for the home theater ( Wife doesn't use it all that often - it intimidates her ) but for everything else I use Plex. The simplicity of it appeals to my wife, it looks the same across all her platforms, iPhone / iPad / Roku / Android. Everything is in the same place and functions the same. I might even buy another Roku and put it in the the theater for her to use. She just can't seem to get the hang of XBMC. I like to tinker with things as well so XBMC sometimes changes on her or an Addon might crash out and she doesn't know how to fix it, that certainly doesn't help matters.

I'm not a PlexPass Member, the only thing I've paid for has been the mobile apps. We'll see what the future hold as to which system(s) I stay with.
The irony of open source, no doubt, is that it invites tinkering, which ultimately dramatically reduces the WAF factor. Various of my family members use XBMC, and it's definitely true that the installations that I touch the least are the ones that provide the most satisfaction.

You might actually consider leaving the family room installation alone and tinker on a desktop before bringing the changes over. It would likely massively improve peace in the family. Smile
Plex has a use for some because it's arguably easier to use and adds the previously mentioned features. For others, such as myself, there's no need and XBMC contains nearly all the features I require across four computers and a tablet.
Please read the online manual (wiki) & FAQ (wiki) before posting.

Skins: Estuary | Xperience1080
Opinion: Never purchase HTC products
Been with XBMC/Openelec for many years but just switched to Plex for one main reason, the Samsung App for my TV, saves having another box under my telly gathering dust and eating electricity. It look great and works extremely well considering the low powered nature of the hardware, and it has not failed to play anything so far (I don't use HD audio so the lack of this is not an issue). It may not be as slick as XBMC on a PC but then neither sharing multiple clients with an SQL library with XBMC especially on Android id woefully slow. I have not paid for plexpass as you don't need it to match XBMC functionality I used. The server end is great and pretty much looks after itself, being able to watch my library anywhere is pretty cool to. I'll stick with XBMC for my second system but I now use pleXBMC to access the Plex library. Will continue down this path until it lets me down.
note to mods this is a repost from another thread. here. it seems to be more ontopic here

I'm currently having fun getting Media Browser 3 Server being the backend for an XBMC frontend.

the XBMB3C plugin is making GIANT strides to make this happen.

I suggest that the XBMB3C plugin functionality can and should be absorbed into XBMC as a FIRST CLASS member of sources.

I have a Linux server in my home office that runs 24/7, it can and does do any library management task I deem desirable. It is running Media Browser 3 (they are porting to Mono to support Linux and OSX as well as Windows. They are nearly ready for Beta).

It would seem that a XBMC/Media Browser 3 combination would be every bit as good as and have every feature as Plex or JRiver as well as a professed commitment to FOSS.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Plex seems to have gone almost 100% paid for new features2