Plex seems to have gone almost 100% paid for new features
Regardless of donations made over time, their new PlexPass membership (Up to $75 for lifetime) seems to be mandatory to get any new features or some fixes. First it was that plexpass members would get "first" access to the new features, now it is that they will be the ONLY ones to get the new features.

...posted in comments on one of their blog posts to someone who actually bought their Plex clients for IOS and Android...

P.S. – Are us lowly basic users ever going to get syncing? Or is that staying Pass only until something better comes along?
James June 4th, 2013 5:30 pm

No. You basic users don’t need nor deserve sync. How about you support the developers for a system you rely on. Christ!
If you want free shit, use XBMC.
wow.
HAHAHAAH, told you, next they will come out with a 'new' osx app that replaces the old open source one, and it will be closed source and users will have to pay for that one too. Then their circle will be complete...
It wouldn't surprise me at all. They are charging for the Windows 8 app now, the OSX one seems to be the last free one. Plus, even if you pay their $75 "PlexPass" membership you STILL have to buy their apps for IOS, Android and Windows 8.
Rope people in with an app make them like it.

Then start charging money for it. Hard to migrate when you're so used to using something. At least for the average user. Rather pay a one time fee then have to worry it.
(2013-06-07, 06:06)tential Wrote: Rope people in with an app make them like it.

Then start charging money for it. Hard to migrate when you're so used to using something. At least for the average user. Rather pay a one time fee then have to worry it.

Little does anyone know that this is actually the long play for XBMC as well. Create an open source product, wait 11 years, and then, AH HA! Gotcha!

Wink
(2013-06-07, 04:45)davilla Wrote: HAHAHAAH
what he said ^^ Smile
opdenkamp / dushmaniac

xbmc-pvr [Eden-PVR builds] [now included in mainline XBMC, so no more source link here :)]
personal website: [link]

Found a problem with PVR? Report it on Trac, under "PVR - core components". Please attach the full debug log.

If you like my work, please consider donating to me and/or Team XBMC.
(2013-06-07, 08:02)natethomas Wrote: Little does anyone know that this is actually the long play for XBMC as well. Create an open source product, wait 11 years, and then, AH HA! Gotcha!

Wink
Yikes! Good I have a couple year to look and setup an alternative! Tongue

(I was thinking of trying out Plex for my mobile devices and remote access (already have subsonic) just to see what it was like, I'm not even going to brother trying it now)
That's ok, I prefer XBMC :p
(2013-06-07, 16:06)BrooksyX Wrote: That's ok, I prefer XBMC :p

You might find that a few Plex users conclude the same...
(2013-06-07, 08:02)natethomas Wrote: Little does anyone know that this is actually the long play for XBMC as well. Create an open source product, wait 11 years, and then, AH HA! Gotcha!

Wink

Quote Walter White : Corner the market, then raise the price. Simple economics.
natethomas a.k.a Walter White Wink (character of tv series breaking bad).
That's the moment I knew Walter White really became a bad *** Cool. Unfortunately this seems the strategy of Plex. wikipedia - Cornering the market .
(2013-06-07, 17:27)tikkiew Wrote:

Wink

Quote Walter White : Corner the market, then raise the price. Simple economics.
natethomas a.k.a Walter White Wink (character of tv series breaking bad).
That's the moment I knew Walter White really became a bad *** Cool. Unfortunately this seems the strategy of Plex. wikipedia - Cornering the market .

Sounds indeed like the strategy: the fact that some basic long-requested features (like viewing who's viewing what on the server) are plex-pass only - along with practically every other new feature - mean that this is very much forcing existing users to cough up in order to keep up.

It's bull, TBH. Who in their right mind would want to lock their entire media experience up in a closed-source, uncontrolled environment where you're at the mercy of one or two individuals who may at any moment decide to charge you to do anything?

And their primarily closed-source nature means the community has no option but to follow along after getting roped in if this happens (and it looks like it is, slowly.)

That said, I do consider plex to be a good source for XBMC ideas, though ;-) (Happy to see DLNA on the GSoC project list, for instance!)

XBMC all the way.
(2013-06-07, 04:19)Luke Skytripper Wrote: Regardless of donations made over time, their new PlexPass membership (Up to $75 for lifetime) seems to be mandatory to get any new features or some fixes. First it was that plexpass members would get "first" access to the new features, now it is that they will be the ONLY ones to get the new features.

...posted in comments on one of their blog posts to someone who actually bought their Plex clients for IOS and Android...

P.S. – Are us lowly basic users ever going to get syncing? Or is that staying Pass only until something better comes along?
James June 4th, 2013 5:30 pm

No. You basic users don’t need nor deserve sync. How about you support the developers for a system you rely on. Christ!
If you want free shit, use XBMC.
That response was not from someone on the Plex project from what I can tell. It was just some average user mouthing off. the thing is though I gound many more posts of 'average users' that speak in line with that. One stating "For anyone complaining about ANYTHING about Plex, please tell me you’re at least a Plex Pass purchaser." Basically saying if your not paying STFU.In a way that might be true. But saying it and thinking it is the difference between being a total prick and well, a normal person.

I have been using XBMC since damned near v1. I remember when Plex broke off and honestly my view of them has been shit from the second it happened. This crap just cements that even more for me.
In a way, I sort of get the "be a plex pass purchaser or stfu" mentality. It's a bit like our "code welcome" mentality here. If you don't like something, your best hope is to contribute to the project to change it. Because XBMC is open source, we prefer that you directly code the change yourself. Since the vast majority of Plex has moved closed source, the only real way to contribute is to give the plex guys money and hope they fix the problem instead. I suppose there's also evangelizing and unpaid forum support, but those are harder to quantify.

Basically, that's the devil's deal you make with closed source software. You agree to use the closed software in exchange for acknowledging that you no longer have any say in how that software works. And the only way to possibly get a say in development is by buying in.
The worst part of all the plex pass stuff is they are basically selling you saas at this point. If their authentication service goes down, you are SOL and just limited to basic functionality. If they just go away, you don't even have source to go to in order to fix problems.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Plex seems to have gone almost 100% paid for new features2