Windows ☆ Build #5
It doesn't look like there is an expansion slot for a card in this case.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6811129185
HTPC: Apex MI-008 | Foxconn H67S | Celeron G530 | G.SKILL 4GB | Crucial 64 SSD| Arctic Cooling | PicoPSU-160-XT
(2013-06-25, 20:16)scrolling Wrote: It doesn't look like there is an expansion slot for a card in this case.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6811129185

Sad... I will search for another case!
I have just built this setup, and there is definitely not an expansion slot. It all fits, but it is pretty tight. Cool case for sure though. It has tons of vents and is a nice form factor!

Am I just missing it, or are there only USB expansion ports for two of the four front USB ports?
Thanks eskro for putting together these great threads!

I'm not a gamer, but I'm planning on purchasing this Windows #5 build so I can have an XBMC box with a full web browser and Netflix. Was hoping to hook it up to my 50" TV along with my 21" dell monitor for the times I want to sit at my desk.

I'm assuming I would need to purchase an IR receiver as well to get this to work with my Harmony One remote, right? I have a USB ir receiver box I should be able to use, but if I could get it to be internal or integrated in the box it would be one less piece to worry about since I'm planning on having this be a portable box I bring with me on trips.

I was debating trying to throw a 500 gb internal hard drive in here as well so I could store media on the box (along with the SSD for the Windows OS) but may just stick with an external drive. Wasnt sure if 90 watts would be enough to power both drives and if any additional fans would be needed. Do you have any thoughts on this? It looks like the 110 would be able to physically fit it. I saw the Antec 300 case mentioned which comes with a 150 watt power supply, but didn't know if that was necessary or if anyone had any suggestions. I liked the 110 case due to the form factor, power efficiency, and because other reviewers have stated its pretty quiet.

The case Dougie posted looks really nice too and definitely has the slots with USB3 on the side but is a ill bit pricier, I still may go with it though.
http://www.ecosmartpc.com/ei7nusb3.html

Any help would be greatly appreciated, looking forward to finally building a box for myself after helping many people setup less expensive but not as powerful builds! I apologize as I've been lurker for awhile on this forum but still a newbie at this.

Thanks in advance!

-J
Dear eskro!

Thank you for your work and awesome building guides. I highly appreciate your efforts!

But I still have a question, if you don't mind: You mentioned this cpu cooler as a viable alternative (http://www.xoxide.com/scythe-kozuti-cpucooler.html) would that work together with a 2nd hard drive?

[Sorry, but after thinking it through I realized that all my questions are not relevant to your thread and I should rather create my own damn thread and not pollute yours. Sorry for being rude!]

Sorry for the many questions. Looking forward to your reply!
Greetings from Vienna!
@eskro

I love your posts because I've learned a lot of them. In this case I suggest replacing the Gigabyte H77N with another board like the Asrock B75M-ITX. Why? The GA doesn't support Wake-on-Lan (even the Z77 miniITX) which the Asrock does (if you want to wake up the machine with an Ipad/Iphone by WoL). Don't know if you can overclock or undervolt the H77 but with Asrock you can.
Also Asrock has a CIR connector where you can hook up an IR receiver which can wake up the machine from S5 (powered off).
And!!! The Asrock board is cheaper...

Huberer
Thank you @eskro for this intersting topic

My HTPC is quite old (Asus P5G41 + E7300, 2G DDR3). Now i want to upgrade it with minimal costs. I am thinking to reuse the CPU and Ram and buy the following component

Antec Mini-ITX Case ISK110-VESA (same as your post)
ASUS P8H61-I R2.0 LGA 1155 Intel H61 HDMI USB 3.0 Mini ITX Intel Motherboard
ADATA USA Premier Pro SP600 2.5-Inch 32 GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive ASP600S3-32GM-C (same as your post)

Do you think these above components will work together and what is pros and cons

Thank you
@nmt1978

IIRC the E7300 (core2duo) has the former 775 socket which is NOT compatible with the motherborad you listed. And I'd be surprised if your current setup is running DDR3 as most socket 775 motherboards were running DDR2 RAMs. This I guess rules out running them on any MB running H61 chipset.
I highly recommend that you read the specs of your current hardware to prevent incompatibility issues if you insist on reusing it.

I hope this helps.
(2013-07-04, 11:50)MuMus Wrote: @nmt1978

IIRC the E7300 (core2duo) has the former 775 socket which is NOT compatible with the motherborad you listed. And I'd be surprised if your current setup is running DDR3 as most socket 775 motherboards were running DDR2 RAMs. This I guess rules out running them on any MB running H61 chipset.
I highly recommend that you read the specs of your current hardware to prevent incompatibility issues if you insist on reusing it.

I hope this helps.

Thank you for reply
I am not good at computer , mine was brought to me by my friend. Yes Ram is DDR2
So i will try to look for another motherboard
(2013-06-29, 17:47)Huberer Wrote: @eskro

I love your posts because I've learned a lot of them. In this case I suggest replacing the Gigabyte H77N with another board like the Asrock B75M-ITX. Why? The GA doesn't support Wake-on-Lan (even the Z77 miniITX) which the Asrock does (if you want to wake up the machine with an Ipad/Iphone by WoL). Don't know if you can overclock or undervolt the H77 but with Asrock you can.
Also Asrock has a CIR connector where you can hook up an IR receiver which can wake up the machine from S5 (powered off).
And!!! The Asrock board is cheaper...

Huberer

I was so enthusiastic when looking for your board, but I realized that it doesn't have built-in wifi and bluetooth, when compared to the Gigabyte H77N that eskro suggested. This means that we will need an add-on PCIe wifi/bluetooth card?

Or am I reading the specs wrong?
Correct. The ASRock Z77E-ITX has WiFi if you want a ASRock board. $$$ though.
Does this set need a cooler? I also like the Asrock B75M-ITX as mentioned above. I don't need WIFI and BT so this will work for me (i hope).

Here the set i am gonna build. Maybe a check from the guru's to see if i didn't do anything wrong!?

http://prntscr.com/1nefb5
I built my set using the above but replacing the MB and chip with an Asrock Z77E and a i3-3245 and all I'm using is the stock cooler.

The machine so far shows no signs of overheating and works well.

Doesn't need an external cooler, especially if you put it in an air-conditioned room.
I'm very close to putting together this build however I noticed the case doesn't have room for an optical drive (I was going to add a bluray drive to rip my movie collection directly into xmbc). Can anyone recommend a case that I can use?
(2013-09-11, 06:22)thernld Wrote: I'm very close to putting together this build however I noticed the case doesn't have room for an optical drive (I was going to add a bluray drive to rip my movie collection directly into xmbc). Can anyone recommend a case that I can use?

I am not sure what your budget is but take a look at the Realan E-i7 mini-ITX case. It has a optical drive bay and a half-height expansion slot as well as a front IR window if you want to install an internal IR receiver behind it.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Windows ☆ Build #50