Anybody using a NAS with the G-Box MX2?
I'm looking for a NAS to store my videos,music,movies,etc and want to get some input on what I need to get. I don't want to get a NAS that's more than I need or get a NAS that isn't enough.
A two bay will be ok and I would like to get a Synology or Qnap.

I have mp3,wmv,mp4,etc.I can rip mu Blurays if needed.

Any tips on setup or suggestion on what to get will be appreciated.Thanks
There's an ethernet issue with Amlogic M6 based devices like the MX2.
You may find the playing is intermittent, and drops out.

Currently I store all media on a 2Tb MyPassport USB hard drive.
Previously I had a 1Tb which ran out of room. I sold it as a 1Tb disk to a friend, and used the money to upgrade to 2Tb.
When the 2Tb runs out ... I'll just sell it and upgrade to something bigger when it comes out.
NAS is a pricey way to do things by the time you've bought the unit and put the disks in.
(2013-06-09, 14:32)joelbaby Wrote: There's an ethernet issue with Amlogic M6 based devices like the MX2.

Previously I had a 1Tb which ran out of room. I sold it as a 1Tb disk to a friend, and used the money to upgrade to 2Tb.
When the 2Tb runs out ... I'll just sell it and upgrade to something bigger when it comes out.
NAS is a pricey way to do things by the time you've bought the unit and put the disks in.

I agree,they can be pricey. I was already going to get a NAS for my media,backups,security camera,etc before I got the MX2.
I have two QNAP TS410's, pricey but depends on overall storage needs of course.
At least if you go with a QNAP you can run up a MYSQL server for shared database between XBMC clients
(2013-06-09, 18:42)monty68 Wrote: I have two QNAP TS410's, pricey but depends on overall storage needs of course.
At least if you go with a QNAP you can run up a MYSQL server for shared database between XBMC clients

I believe the Synology will do the MYSQL through a package download. Either way,both brands are very reputable.I have tried the demo interfaces on both and was impressed with both of them.
I have been given recommendations on to what to get NAS wise. Get one that has the ability to transcode media on the fly,etc. Not sure if I need the latest and greatest out there. I do believe a two bay with 6TB would be for now,until/if I decide to get a larger one.
IMHO, If I wanted a transcoding NAS, I'd build one myself from a miniATX board etc. Off the shelf NAS'
with this sort of capability start to get expensive, and maybe OK with one stream but what happens if
you increase clients.
I have thought about building a nas,but wouldn't know where to start, Motherboard,memory,etc. I could use Freenas or OpenElec.
(2013-06-09, 23:35)Kev7274 Wrote: I have thought about building a nas,but wouldn't know where to start, Motherboard,memory,etc. I could use Freenas or OpenElec.

Then try to avoid having to transcode, what other clients other than XBMC are you wanting/thinking about using?
(2013-06-10, 00:19)monty68 Wrote:
(2013-06-09, 23:35)Kev7274 Wrote: I have thought about building a nas,but wouldn't know where to start, Motherboard,memory,etc. I could use Freenas or OpenElec.

Then try to avoid having to transcode, what other clients other than XBMC are you wanting/thinking about using?

It would just be used for XBMC.
No need to worry about transcoding then as XBMC will do it for you on the client, go for what your budget allows
So basically any NAS would work,just depends on my storage needs,etc?
(2013-06-09, 14:32)joelbaby Wrote: There's an ethernet issue with Amlogic M6 based devices like the MX2.

Works fine here, and there is no ethernet issue. The only issue right now I am having is my larger drives (over 2TB) which I put in a issue on the bug area of the site. Still not fixed yet but hopefully its resolved.
What about the problem with the MX2 and ethernet ?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Anybody using a NAS with the G-Box MX2?0