• 4(current)
AMD Kabini Boards
(2013-10-19, 01:15)Dougie Fresh Wrote: It's weaker than the E-350 so Windows is out but OpenELEC would be fine as long as you don't want HD audio bitstreaming support.

The latest OpenELEC supports HD audio bitstreaming on AMD platforms.
http://openelec.tv/news/22-releases/110-...3-released

The E1-2100 seems to be more of a C60/C70 replacement given that it runs at only 1GHz and TDP is 9W. There's also a quad-core A6-5200 version of that board for $139.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6813135363
(2013-10-19, 01:36)trent33 Wrote: Why is windows out? They're selling Win 8 laptops with E1-2100 kabinis. Not saying it will blow your socks off, but it should work, right? Smile Not sure this is much more inferior than a Celeron 847, which can also run Windows AFAIK...but you're the expert. Thoughts?

Edit: looks like the c847 kills this kabini, almost 2x passmark score.

My experience in Windows with both E-350 and Celeron 847 was that it was laggy for my tastes (mostly launching apps and navigating menus) so I am extrapolating to the E1-1200 based on its specs and my belief it's more along the lines of the C-60/C-70.

Both E-350 and C847 are brilliant though for OpenELEC. It's nice to hear AMD has HD audio bitstreaming support in OpenELEC.

At the same price point (~$85 for E1-1200 and C847) I'd pick the C847 every time given the better CPU vs AMD and that for 1080p it's a wash for AMD or Intel GPUs.

My $0.02 of course.

I find the A6-5200 much more intriguing for $50 more than the E1-1200. I would expect much better performance and even the ability to play some games. I am waiting on the ASUS or ASRock version to get one to test out.
Dougie that's interesting, thanks for the feedback. Not sure how much Windows lag I can tolerate. I admit though that I'm excited by the E1-2100 due to the fanless design; it will be interesting to see what kind of cooling the quad core 15W kabini A4-5000 will have. Ditto for the dual core E2-3000, also 15W. I might have to hold off on upgrading my HTPC a bit more until the other mobo mfgs do a refresh. And see how/when/if the new bay trail Atoms turn up. Ideally I would like a tiny & completely fanless/solid state XBMC HTPC; kabini + picopsu + SSD/thumb drive. Still might just buy a 2013 nexus 7 instead...we'll see

I am hoping for an ASUS E1-1200 with 6 x SATA to replace the ASUS C60M1-I. Those were inexpensive, low power, super-nice mini-ITX server motherboards.
(2013-10-19, 20:18)Dougie Fresh Wrote: It's nice to hear AMD has HD audio bitstreaming support in OpenELEC.

new oss radeon driver lets you bitstream hd audio on linux in general: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=174854
The main draw of Kabini is low power usage, low price, and decent gpu. The gpu is irrelevant for HTPC use as current gpu's are more than capable enough. Kabini is still slower than a Core 2 from 4 years ago, and slower than SB/IB Pentium, right?

The low price will be the big selling point, but we'll have to see how it matches up to Bay Trail which is also going to be cheaper.
Zotac just released it's first Kabini box: Zotac ZBOX AQ01
It contains an AMD A4-5000 APU and has space for one 2,5" HD/SSD. No pricing yet but looks like a nice option.
I was hoping they will do it fanless...
http://www.zotac.com/products/mini-pcs/z...tions.html
Big Grin
Yesterday I received my Zotac zbox. It's an amazing little box. Makes no noise at all so don't worry about that fan.
At the moment running Windows 8.1 and did some initial testing. XBMC runs butter-smooth. As I'm also interested in retroplayer and casual games, I've installed steam. Playing games (like Shank) in Big picture mode is just perfect with enough fps. Now I still need to hook it up to my receiver and TV in the living room. So far really happy since it only costed €209 (without HD/ram). Some shops even sell it for lower now.
Also got my ZBOX AQ01. Except for playback in xbmc everything is smooth :-)

Hardware Acceleration is on, got latest Radeon drivers. Running on Windows 7.

Any idea why playback is choppy in xbmc? With other players (VLC, Mediaplayer) it is super smooth.
ANy special codec pack that I should or should not install?

System is the AQ01 with 4GB, Win7 64bit, 128SSD....
That's weird. Seems like dxva2 isn't working.
Did you already check the following settings?
http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=HOW...or_Windows
Thanks!

I already checked "O" during playback and CPU is below 5%. So some acceleration is working, otherwise it would be higher, right? Maybe its the Audio settings (already changed it only Stereo) or maybe it because of using 24p? For the moment I will follow the steps you described once again...:-)
Photo 
I was able to get closer to the problem.

It is playing smoothly when I do not adjust the framerate of the TV to the movie (24p). As soon as I switch 24p on, playback is choppy.

I already read some place else that it might be because of Full Screen Window and might be solved by switching to "Real" fullscreen. Once I tested I let you know :-)
Can't reproduce the issue on my box. But maybe i'm not using the exact settings you have.
  • 4(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
AMD Kabini Boards0