• 6(current)
AMD Kabini Boards
Have you tried the latest Catalyst drivers from the AMD site?
(2014-04-15, 15:27)Dougie Fresh Wrote: Have you tried the latest Catalyst drivers from the AMD site?

yes, even the beta. i saw others having issue with kabini using openelec as well. wish i had known before i bought it. http://openelec.tv/forum/64-installation...on-hd-8210
(2014-04-15, 15:35)w1n78 Wrote:
(2014-04-15, 15:27)Dougie Fresh Wrote: Have you tried the latest Catalyst drivers from the AMD site?

yes, even the beta. i saw others having issue with kabini using openelec as well. wish i had known before i bought it. http://openelec.tv/forum/64-installation...on-hd-8210
RMA to Newegg might be your best solution then. It might be that the MOBO is too new, and MSI haven't smooth thing out...
>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
(2014-04-15, 15:56)bluray Wrote: RMA to Newegg might be your best solution then. It might be that the MOBO is too new, and MSI haven't smooth thing out...

i found another article from http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=ar...untu&num=1. it looks like he was able to use ubuntu 14.04 beta and it works with the 5350 since it uses the new linux kernel. i'm gonna give that a try and see if it works out. i really like the setup, specially the power consumption, just having trouble getting it to work as htpc. but ya i'll try to rma it and hope they can hook me up if my ubuntu test don't work.
(2014-04-15, 16:02)w1n78 Wrote:
(2014-04-15, 15:56)bluray Wrote: RMA to Newegg might be your best solution then. It might be that the MOBO is too new, and MSI haven't smooth thing out...

i found another article from http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=ar...untu&num=1. it looks like he was able to use ubuntu 14.04 beta and it works with the 5350 since it uses the new linux kernel. i'm gonna give that a try and see if it works out. i really like the setup, specially the power consumption, just having trouble getting it to work as htpc. but ya i'll try to rma it and hope they can hook me up if my ubuntu test don't work.

Please post about the results of your Ubuntu test. I was about to purchase the same setup as you but I ran into your post. My fingers are crossed that it will work with the 3.13 kernel. A low power system would be a great first real htpc build.
(2014-04-15, 16:02)w1n78 Wrote:

Good luck with Ubuntu! For sure Newegg will honor RMA, and they are very good place to do business with....

If it doesn't work with Windows+XBMC, it is not for me....
In Windows instead of using the AMD driver installer:
- Open device manager
- Select your display adapter
- Click update driver and browse to the extracted driver folder, normally C:\AMD. (I guess the driver installer did unpack everything?)

Does it pick up the display driver this way?

I have a Kabini 8330 IGP in my Zotac AQ01 and with AMD driver it plays everything I throw at it. I even do some full HD gaming with Steam installed.
(2014-04-15, 16:36)woodensoul2k Wrote: Please post about the results of your Ubuntu test. I was about to purchase the same setup as you but I ran into your post. My fingers are crossed that it will work with the 3.13 kernel. A low power system would be a great first real htpc build.
ok i was able to install ubuntu 14.04 LTS desktop 64bit. i was able to install xbmc 12 without an issue. i got it all set up. now during playback, here are my issues.
using vga and dvi on a samsung syncmaster sa650, i get some lines across the video during fast scenes (scenes with lots of action and/or fast panning). at first i thought it could be the video and it was encoded, but when i play it using VLC, it plays without issues and seems like it does a better job than xbmc. i tried other video files as well and same result.

now i plugged it in to a samsung un60eh6003 using hdmi. same results with xbmc with those lines. i wish i can take a pic of the lines but it happens so fast and random.

but the odd thing is with vlc, i get a worse playback. here's a pic.
it's weird. i've never had trouble with video playback on my old AMD E350 and my other intel PC. i'm bummed, i wanted this thing to work out. i'm gonna rma it and probably go with sandy/ivy celeron platform.

(2014-04-15, 19:14)bluray Wrote: Good luck with Ubuntu! For sure Newegg will honor RMA, and they are very good place to do business with....

If it doesn't work with Windows+XBMC, it is not for me....
it didn't work out in ubuntu 14.04 LTS beta, though i did get far enough to do the tests. the results were not good. i already contacted newegg. at first, the CSR wouldn't budge on the CPU return policy but i've been a long time customer so she made an exception. i don't like to run windows+xbmc either.

(2014-04-15, 19:25)Mntz Wrote: In Windows instead of using the AMD driver installer:
- Open device manager
- Select your display adapter
- Click update driver and browse to the extracted driver folder, normally C:\AMD. (I guess the driver installer did unpack everything?)

Does it pick up the display driver this way?

I have a Kabini 8330 IGP in my Zotac AQ01 and with AMD driver it plays everything I throw at it. I even do some full HD gaming with Steam installed.

device manager doesn't see anything wrong. i've tried stable and beta versions of the drivers from MSI and AMD, still not working. i pretty much given up and will RMA my cpu/mobo. glad you got it to work with your combo.
I've got the AMD 5150 and MSI motherboard. If I try to run AMD CCC that came with the install disk it BSODs. Too funny. Windows 7 x64.

[Edit] Trying run 14.3 beta, CCC also BSODs on launch.
is there a reason you're using frodo and not a newer gotham build? i could be mistaken but i don't recall vdpau being supported in frodo with amd. should be worth a shot anyway.

edit: also, if you're going to RMA it i would suggest going with a haswell board so you get proper 23.976 playback.
(2014-04-16, 00:56)furii Wrote: is there a reason you're using frodo and not a newer gotham build? i could be mistaken but i don't recall vdpau being supported in frodo with amd. should be worth a shot anyway.

i tried the beta nightly build from last night on windows 7, but i didn't try it on my ubuntu 14.04 beta test. i don't know if i want to try, i've spent way more time than i wanted to invest with the project. i got my rma approved and will be packing it up and shipping it. gonna try a different config, but this time i will scower the forums more and look for a good combo.
Have you tried installing the 3.14 kernel and adding the Oibaf PPA or the Xorg-edgers PPA? The updated drivers have double the performance from stock 14.04 and may fix the display issue.
(2014-04-16, 02:10)tetsuya Wrote: Have you tried installing the 3.14 kernel and adding the Oibaf PPA or the Xorg-edgers PPA? The updated drivers have double the performance from stock 14.04 and may fix the display issue.

yes, i ran using ubuntu 14.04 LTS beta and got the 3.14 kernel. i just tried th Oibaf PPA and it would make xbmc 12x freeze. then i tried the latest night build on gotham, it would just crash when i tried to play a file. i didn't bother with Xorg.

thanks for all the tips. i tried, but my patience has ran out. for now i still have a spare G620 running linux mint 16 with latest stable xbmc 12 and it runs flawless. i just wanted a replacement for my recently dead amd E350. looks like this wont' be it. i may just get another E350 or another sandy/ivy celeron with an itx mobo.
Three strikes on Win 7 x64. Trying to run an app using the CCC from the disk, 13.12 and 14.3 beta all BSOD. I've ordered an ASRock AM1H-ITX to see if this is a CPU or MSI issue.
I bet MSI botched the Kabini board. AnandTech and other reviewers had successfully run tests on Kabini chip using Gigabyte and Ashrock boards with Windows 8/7...
  • 6(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
AMD Kabini Boards0