HD5000 worth waiting for?
I'm wanting to upgrade my openelec HTPC to something smaller and faster and was looking at a i3-3225 based system. Seeing as the 3225 can handle everything and then some is there any point in waiting for the HD5000 instead?
Supposedly, HD5000 (Iris) is something you'll only find in embedded CPUs. If there will actually be Haswell mini-ITX SoC motherboards, who knows when and how much. It might though be worth waiting for the Haswell i3s with HD4600 if you're in no hurry to upgrade right now.
Thanks Dougie.

Will the HD4600 offer any noticeable difference with high bitrate 1080p or is it more a case of future proofing?
When I tested the HD2000 of the Intel Celeron mobile 847, it played every high bitrate MKV I tried so I don't think you'd see a difference between HD4000 and HD4600 (or HD2000 for that matter -- except you wouldn't get 3D). It's mostly a matter of how long can you wait?
dont think you'll see a difference here. you,ll just have the new stuff....
FWIW, something else to consider I just noticed today, all the mobile i7 processors with Iris graphics are over $400 MSRP for just the CPU.

http://ark.intel.com/products/family/75023

I think this is the i5 that's supposed to be in the high-end NUC:

http://ark.intel.com/products/75028/Inte...o-2_60-GHz
HD4000 still got some issues related 23.976; but the same could apply for HD5000. By the way there is a "fix" for HD4000 if you use XBMC.

<measurerefreshrate>true</measurerefreshrate>
<video>
<fpsdetect>1</fpsdetect>
<adjustrefreshrate>
<override>
<fpsmin>23.95</fpsmin>
<fpsmax>24.05</fpsmax>
<refresh>23</refresh>
</override>
</adjustrefreshrate>
<latency>
<delay>150</delay>
</latency>
</video>

delay for my Samsung is 150ms (if not in "gamemode"), we're talking about audiodelay here (normal is 120-150 for modern tv-sets). Put this in advancedsettings.xml (inside main xml-root node). You could also define a failover rate, if tv does not support... but for me that ended up with always going for failover-refresh-rate due to time to change refreshrate on my samsung smart-tv, hence make sure your tv supports 23.976 before using.

On my system all glitches or double-frames are gone, and when I check refresh it stays around 23.98 (roundet from 23.976) on XBMC, sometimes it dips down to 23.95 for a short time, and other times you get 24 a split second. This actually corrects refresh-rate "drift" on Intel HD4000 for all 23.976 material. Bitstream (DTS, DD, TrueHD, DTS-HD etc) works perfect.

All "sync to screen" set to off in XBMC, and refresh rate to match video set to.
Does OpenELEC support HD4600?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
HD5000 worth waiting for?0