Linux XBMC on 2GB HDD
Best regards. I have a mini computer Dell FX160 with 2GB Flash memory. Is it possible to install an OS and XBMC on it?

Thank you.
Openelec will fit on that, but you're not going to have much space for fan art, plugins etc. I'd look at using a USB thumb drive to supplement the 2gb hdd
(2013-06-13, 17:03)teeedubb Wrote: Openelec will fit on that, but you're not going to have much space for fan art, plugins etc. I'd look at using a USB thumb drive to supplement the 2gb hdd

I tried Openelec, but to no avail. Dell OPTIPLEX FX160 incorporates SIS media GPU
The FX160 has a 2.5" bay in addition to it's NVRAM storage. Why not just put a real HDD in it?

With that said, how useful can that be? Looking at the specs, it only has a DX9 capable graphics chip, that excludes all hardware accelerated video options, doesn't it? Asside from that' it's just a dual 1.6ghz Atom, which in any stable version of XBMC only means single threaded video decoding. Even with an alpha with multithreading, it's not a very powerful CPU for CPU only video decoding.
(2013-06-14, 04:41)DJ_Izumi Wrote: The FX160 has a 2.5" bay in addition to it's NVRAM storage. Why not just put a real HDD in it?

With that said, how useful can that be? Looking at the specs, it only has a DX9 capable graphics chip, that excludes all hardware accelerated video options, doesn't it? Asside from that' it's just a dual 1.6ghz Atom, which in any stable version of XBMC only means single threaded video decoding. Even with an alpha with multithreading, it's not a very powerful CPU for CPU only video decoding.

Thank you for all the useful information.
Just wondering how you got on with this?
I've just been given one as a project and wondering if its worth the hassle, will it stream films?
Looks like you could put a chrystal HD card in that thing to get it to play hd video. You would lose wifi.
Unfortunately not, it's locked down to wifi aparently.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC on 2GB HDD0