• 1(current)
XBMC settings won't save, why????
Star 
Hey guys,

Another issue with my new android media player and XBMC Sad

I set everything up in Settings as I'd like it, exit XBMC and turn the player off. Turn the player back on (and a startup manager app auto starts XBMC) and XBMC seems to have set the default settings again. I can still see my added media content from my wireless external hard drive but settings like the home screen menu items, screensaver, auto-scrape on startup etc. are all set to default (not how I want them!).

I can't be 100% sure but I'm sure the first few times the settings did save, now it seems they are not. Can anyone help plz?

This looks to be the last thing to fix (hopefully) then I'll be 100% satisfied with my new wireless media setup Smile

Just another note, when this happens and I go into the Add-ons section in the Settings menu it shows the first-time use pop-up note thing (sorry don't know what it says I always click OK and don't read it). It's the pop-up about using the Add-ons menu for the first time pointing to the left side of the screen. So it's like XBMC is fully reset and thinks it's the first use even though all media still shows etc.?
Could it be something to do with the Startup manager app? Surely auto-starting the XBMC app wouldn't have any influence on the settings fully loading correctly? Or would they?
I was going crazy over this, researched so many hours, it's been driving me mad almost..

Here's what I concluded:

1. If you have xbmc autostarting at startup chances are the sd card haven't been mounted so the settings wont be activated. Simple solution for this is to not autostart xbmc, and wait a minute after boot so the sd card is ready before starting it.

2. This solution is the only one that SEEMS to work, I've only known about this work around for a few days but so far all my settings works!!

What you do is setup xbmc exactly how you want it. For me it's Aeon Nox with some custom stuff in the home screen. When you're satisfied you quit xbmc and use a file explorer to go to

Android/data/org.xbmc.xbmc/files/.xbmc/userdata/

In that folder theres a file called guisettings.xml. Copy that and rename the cope to advancedsettings.xml. Edit this new advancedsettings.xml file, the very first line that says <settings> change this to <advancedsettings>

Next edit the very last line that says </settings> into </advancedsettings>

Save and make sure this new file is in the same directory as guisettings.xml.

Warning! This way is onlyh a work around and it LOCKS your settings. You wont be able to change any settings from within xbmc no more.

Hope this helps..
Hey, thanks for the reply, I uninstalled Startup Manaer (Free) and installed an app called AutoStart and it seems to all work as good as gold now Smile Glad I didn't have to go your way and change all of that other stuff Smile. A auto startup manager app with an auto-delay could work too. I guess AutoStart just takes longer to boot up XBMC than Startup Manager (Free)!
Damnit, seems as though the issue isn't fixed!

Turned it on as per normal this evening and the issue is back, the videos and movies show, but the home screen menu items, screensaver and other settings are back to default. Quit out of XBMC, opened it again, same thing. Quit out, turned AutoStart off, shut down player, turned it back on, waited for a good 10-20 seconds after it had booted (and SD card preparing had gone), opened XBMC and the same settings are still at default.

What the heck is causing this intermitent error? It is so annoying. Please someone tell us how we can make the settings load properly every time. Is there any way to check when this happens if the SD card has failed to mount? It shows the preparing SD card message bottom left of the player when the machine boots up as per normal - that's the only way I know how to tell if its loading (or attempting to load?) like it should.

HELP PLS Smile THANKS!

I just tried navigating to the path shown above using FileBrowser, and I get to

/mnt/sdcard/Android/data/org.xbmc.xbmc/files and inside this there is nothing, is this because the files/folders are hidden or because there is actually nothing in there? Could this be the cause of the settings not loading? Or is /mnt/ not the right place to be looking? Or not /mnt/sdcard/?

Thanks.
Another thing to mention, my copy of XBMC came with 2 skins installed, and I had downloaded another and changed settings under each before uninstalling them all (bar the standard one and the 2nd one that came with the software as it is 'uninstallable'). Could it be pulling settings from different directories? Or have saved settings in other/different directories?

Just downloaded a more advanced file browser and can now see into the files directory. I can see the guisettings.xml file mentioned. Will try your steps above and see if this fixes it - fingers crossed.
Ok, well did the procedure outlined above, rebooted and the settings are showing exactly how I set them up.

Little hard to tell if it's from the procedure outlined above or if it's just because it has "decided" to use the saved settings again. Reason I say that is because last night it was working flawlessly every time we rebooted the settings were A-OK, then this evening they were suddenly lost again.

Will see if the settings remain as-is tomorrow night and over the next few days - FINGERS TIGHTLY CROSSED THIS TIME. Praying it works FOR GOOD this time haha.

Thanks, and if anyone else has any fix or input please do share just in case this hasn't fixed it Smile
Seems to still be all good - think that fixed it Smile thanks mate!
AHHHHHHHH DAMNIT!!!

Looks like this didn't fix it at all. Popped it open today and although all settings are still locked due to advancedsettings it still displays the PICTURES and MUSIC etc. sections on the home screen when I selected these to NOT be shown.

Anyone have any ideas how to fix this? Does advancedsettings lock settings from loading to default? Does this mean that advancedsettings ISN'T loading? Or that the settings are somehow still being set to default despite them being "locked"?

Please help. Thanks.

------------------------

EDIT: Hmm that's weird, normally when this happened the screen saver would default back to dim instead of blackout like I set it/like it. As I typed the above message the screensaver blacked out instead of dimming, which IS how I set it. So it looks like some settings are loading and some are not. The main ones that are not are the home screen submenu's/categories/lists (e.g. MUSIC, VIDEOS, MOVIES etc.) - which is actually the main one that annoys me!

Might help one of you figure this out with me Smile

-------------------------

EDIT EDIT: Another thing to note, when this happens and I click on MOVIES or TV SHOWS the 'First run help...........' popup shows, thinking that this is the first time XBMC has run. Interesting.......
download an app called "automateIT"

setup a rule in that app as follows

on boot
start app (xbmc)
delay = 10secs.

fixed the problem for me on my mygica atv1200.
Ok auto starting isnt the issue. I have disabled it numerous time when this happens and it still continues to happen after reboot. It just doesnt seem to want to load the correct settings fully most of the time.
It's not the delay on boot that's the issue though, if I turn the autoboot off and boot it up manually it does the same thing then randomly it will be fine one day (and not the next).....

Sorry for the double post it the first one didn't show up on my PC

EDIT: automateit doesn't seem to be available on this device it isn't in Google Play and downloading on PC and transferring to device results in a failed install.
Can anyone help pls? About to throw the darn thing in the trash which is a pitty because it could be so good if it just kept the settings ALL the time!

Any help would be much appreciated.
If you still have advancedsettings.xml, then that's the problem. Delete it and xbmc will use its normal settings saving/loading procedure. In addition to that, you'll need to find a way to delay xbmc on startup by 15 seconds or so for the sdcard to fully get scanned.
How is advanced settings the problem though? I was told it was a fix. I dont think advanced settings is the reason as it works fine with it sometimes... it doesnt matter if i have advanced settings in there or not it will work 50% of the time and 50% of the time it wont (as in loadings ALL of my settings not just some).

Another thing is when it doesnt load them properly i shut down media player and restart numerous times and it doesnt fix it. So odd.
  • 1(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC settings won't save, why????0