• 4(current)
XBMC settings won't save, why????
you dont have to use the special path, you can give it the exact folder, the way i taught you before if you like, the masterprofile is for anyone that wants to test the script and SHOULD work on all the devices or most...

adding extra code for it to show on script will only make the script bigger and prone to error, i will upload a modified version tonight or tomorrow, because i need to test it.
okay added the feature to show onscreen

http://www.sendspace.com/file/okctb6

have fun...
Great thanks mate will change the paths to match the userdata folder where my original advancedsettings.xml and guisettings.xml files are located.

Will delete the files in the addon folder (not the ACTUAL addon files themselves obviously) and then run the setup as described in a previous post by you.

Hopefully I'll see a guisettings and advancedsettings file(s) in the addons folder after this. And some nice fluffy on screen text Wink

Let you know how I get on tonight. Ta!
Hi there,

Ok so still doesn't work, with the hardcoded path in there it still gets only the advancedsettings.xml copied to the addon folder for your script.

Also, with the on screen text now showing I can see on boot of XBMC (after first boot) the settings don't get copied back to XBMC as one or both of the settings files are missing i.e. the guisettings.xml. Why the heck is guisettings.xml not getting copied? It's in exactly the same place as the advancedsettings.xml file.

Please advise Smile

I also don't get the aborting text when exiting XBMC it just exits as per normal..
After coming back to the device and turning it on xbmc will now not boot.... I get a black screen and that is it.... Have deleted your addon folder, closed xbmc from settings>apps, and rebooted device, still a black screen. Wtf!!
well since the script never got to copy the advancedsettings.xml that was copied on shutdown, i dont see anyway the script could have damaged your instalation.

the script only runs on boot and just loads a welcome notification and keeps an eye for shutdowns or reboots to make a copy, doesnt break anything, so deleting the folder with the plugin should revert you back to normal.

On the other hand you could always place your guisettings.xml and advancedsettings.xml manually into the folder and those files will be used to replace the old ones each time you boot. Since it will find both files and copy them to the folder it needs to be.

What device are you running xbmc on?
Ok well it's definitely stuffed xbmc sonehow it wont boot al all. I hope i dont have to reinstall it. If i have to i will tonight and manually copy both settings files. Then it should work on boot to load settings and not say theyre missing?

Sorry dont know device name its an android box off ebay from australia.
And it did get to copy advancedsettings on boot because it worked once (well booted once) but said one or both files were missings, or does that stop it from copyibg the single file it did find?

Is there something i can do to fix xbmc without reinstalling it and doing the whole setup process for xbmc and your script from scratch? Hopefully it doesnt continue breaking xbmc. will manually copy settings files before first boot after manual shutdown of xbmc.
unfortunately the script wants both to do the copy, if it tells you one or both are missing it wont copy anything, so as you see the script only copied to our plugin folder 1 file, on the next boot it welcomed you and didnt replace anything at all.

So i dunno whats wrong with your xbmc installation...

On the other hand copying both files to the plugin folder WILL replace the files so doing it manually should work for you. Im sorry if you have to reinstall, i dont see how my script could damage your installation i really hope you are not mad at me, just tried to help, i did fix my device with this script and just wanted to share with the community as it did bug me a lot.
Hey there, no problem glad you are trying to help me Smile

Just reinstalled XBMC, installed the script, copied the settings files to the addons folder myself and every time I start XBMC I get "Script failed: plugin.tv.script", then the "Startup Script: Preparing to..........." text shows up.

Any idea what's causing this? It did it with the standard destinationDirectory line and with the custom one you mentioned (destinationDirectory = '/mnt/sdcard/Android/data/org.xbmc.xbmc/files/.xbmc/userdata/').

Grr I would have never bought one of these players if I knew it was such a hassle to get working so seemingly straight-forward Smile

If I just have advancedsettings (and no guisettings) file in the addons folder it won't give the script failed error but it will give the attention one or both files missing. If I place the guisettings back in the addons folder with advancedsettings in there too it gives the script failed error.

What's making the guisettings make the script fail on boot? Weird! And annoying haha.

I have a feeling it's because the guisettings is already in use so it cannot copy and replace? And that may be the reason it can't pull to back it up too? It backs up the advancedsettings by itself but not the guisettings.
no, i think its a symbolik link to the userdata folder guisettings.xml that shouldnt be tampered with. this folder you are copying to should be perfectly writeable and maybe just maybe if you want to test why not delete that file?

it will copy the file in your folder anyway.. also try a couple of reboots once you delete the guisettings thats in the userdata folder do it manually but i have a feeling you wont be able to delete it. and thats why you cant save settings, see the guisettings is what holds most of the graphical settings you set including the time, looks and whatnot.

i dont know if i was clear enough, also my friend i did have a device just a annoying as yours and i could fix it and im really loving it.

i have this:

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Free-Ship...35897.html

im using static linux 0.2b build

P.S. also check the attributes for guisettings.xml the one thats sitting in your userdata folder maybe it doesnt have writing permission and thats very fixable just setting new attributes with your ftp manager...
Haha, I have the exact same media player! I don't know how to check or what the static linux build means though, all I know is it is running Android OS.

When I right click and view permission on the userdata folder the Permissions is set to DRW, same with the Addons folder and the plugin.tv.start folder. I have Filezilla but unsure how to connect to Media Player device on the network so I just browse files using File Manager app on device itself.

guisettings.xml has -RW permissions, advancedsettings.xml has the same -RW permissions.

In .xbmc/addons/plugin.tv.start/ I have addon.xml, advancedsettings.xml (manually copied over), default.py, guisettings.xml (manually copied over). Get error script failed on boot of XBMC.

When you say "after reboot it copys back the files previously copied into your userdata folder and THEN logs into XBMC" do you mean after the DEVICE has been rebooted or after XBMC has been rebooted or copies the files??

Should line 7 of default.py start with a '#'?

I have just done a fresh install of XBMC, AND the addon, manually placed the settings files into the addons folder, rebooted the device two times and started XBMC and now it does not get script error on boot, it displays the "Preparing to replace settings" popup but then nothing after that, no success popup or anything as per the script itself. How come I don't get the other popup text that should be running? And if these other popups aren't running does that mean that the rest of the script that copies the files isn't running either?

Thanks.
okay first, im using this:

http://androidtvbox.us/topic/xbmc-midnig...-fits-all/

its linux running xbmc ontop of it. no android os

NOTE: if theres a problem linking to another page, please please remove it, i really dont know the rules of the forum and certainly dont want to break them.

Now, the shutdown message its perfectly normal if it doesnt display it because since its shutting down everything and the notification its supposed to run AFTER aborting signal its perfectly normal not to see it.

But you SHOULD see two notifications at start up, one that says preparing and another that said files copied successfully or if it didnt go well a message stating there are files missing at which point it will not copy anything if one or both are missing, if both are in the plugin folder it will proceed with the copy..

the script keeps running so dont worry about it.

If you have the same device try flashing with this distribution, its pretty solid, ive been playing around with it and im lovin g this device.

Also dont worry about line 7 that was when i was trying the script and that "special" location point to the userdata folder that SHOULDNT be tampered with, so i realized that and changed it for the masterprofile folder Smile

P.S. Dont worry if you have the same device i have you will get it working like it should and you will love it and buy a couple for your relatives, youll see.. I got it faster working, because i have a little more experience than you thats all, but you are getting up to speed very fast
Yes I get the "Preparing" text at the same time XBMC GUI boots up, not before, and then after "Preparing" message popup there is nothing, just the normal XBMC start screen with my movies etc.

How do we tell why I am not getting the rest of the messages? I'm not getting the message saying one or both of the files don't exist and I"m not getting the success messaage after the files have copied either. Just the preparing one and that's it.
Well thats odd, you should really look for the xbmc.log file its in the temp folder boot your device then edit that file with your ftp manager and go all the way down, you will see a lot more information of whats going on. the notifications its just a gimmick the log will get you farther trust me..
  • 4(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC settings won't save, why????0