Linux Full core usage on pause/menus
I'm having a problem with XBMC 12.2 where an entire CPU core is being utilized when I pause a video, or when XBMC is showing most menus.
There are a few menus that don't cause this behavior, and I've simply learned to leave XBMC showing those menus whenever I'm done using it for a while.

I'm running XBMC standalone atop an Ubuntu 12.10 minimal install

It was installed by loosely following this guide

The hardware is as follows:
Core2duo 6420
MSI motherboard Neo something something, probably a P35 or P45 chipset
3GB DDR2 RAM
Radeon HD 4350

Any suggestions on how to alleviate this are welcome, I've looked into dirty regions, and they are enabled, I've toyed around with the setting and "1" seems to give me the best results, but does nothing to fix my initial problem.

P.S. I've tried the latest OpenELEC on the system, and it ran about as well as I could have hoped for on this system, and I would simply use OpenELEC if XBMC was all I needed to run on the system.
Which GPU driver did you install? I hope not the 13.1 legacy drivers, cause these exactly produce what you are seeing there.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
I actually ended up using this repo to install the legacy drivers from, and I guess they are version 13.1

Which drivers would you suggest I use instead for a legacy card?
Yes, sadly. You have to go back to the 12.6 legacy version - which has other issues, e.g. Audio signal lost, when turning on / off TV.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
Thank you for the swift replies fritsch. I might just give the 12.6 legacy drivers a go, but it sounds like the issues with it are potentially more annoying than with 13.1.

I'm guessing I would be severely affected by that audio signal lost bug, as my HTPC is constantly powered on, and I just turn the TV on and off as needed.
Yeah :-( Try to hack the PCI ids in the driver files, e.g. add yours to the newer fglrx driver and see if this works ...

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Full core usage on pause/menus0