Win "Error: Unable to create GUI. Exiting"
Hi teeedubb (or anyone else who might know)

Q1: Is there a list of required Windows services that must be running, in order for xbmc to work ? I keep my system as slim as possible, and may have something shut off that xbmc is expecting.

Q2: Does xbmc need a fully functioning WMP to be available to it ? I have abandoned WMP in favour of VLC & MPC-HC, so perhaps the ancient WMP is causing trouble... just grasping at straws here.

Thanks for your help.
::  LibreELEC 9.2.6 RELEASE - Generic x86_64  ::  Intel 847 NUC  ::  KVR1333D3S9/4G  ::  Kingston SMS200S3/30G mSATA  ::  MS 1044 MCE keyboard  ::  GP-IR02BK remote  ::  Xonfluence  ::  10.9TiB on FreeNAS v11.3-U5 (RAID-Z2)  ::
Q2 not needed
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
OK... one checked off the list. Thanks Martijn.
::  LibreELEC 9.2.6 RELEASE - Generic x86_64  ::  Intel 847 NUC  ::  KVR1333D3S9/4G  ::  Kingston SMS200S3/30G mSATA  ::  MS 1044 MCE keyboard  ::  GP-IR02BK remote  ::  Xonfluence  ::  10.9TiB on FreeNAS v11.3-U5 (RAID-Z2)  ::
Not sure about the required services.... you mean a streamlined windows installed using nlite or similar? On win7 xbmc has no problems running when its launched from eventghost when eventghost is running as a windows shell replacement.
So I finally got OpenELEC installed to a 2GB USB stick... phew ! (...is that a waste of 1.5 GB ?)

I used a test mobo that accepts PS2 keyboard & mouse, and built the LiveStick from the previously mentioned InstallStick. The process even looked like the documentation on the OpenELEC Wiki pages - how comforting !

Rebooted into Frodo and poked around a little (on the test mobo) - lots to learn about settings and configuration.

Next is to boot up the main desktop machine using the LiveStick and see what issues may arise. I'll have to wait a while though... the desktop has been hijacked by running a (now six-hour) Scandisk check of a hard drive (I hate when that happens...).

Sure would be nice to get the original xbmc-4-Windows crash cleared up...

Thanks for playing along.
OK... OpenELEC LiveStick comes up on the desktop box, finds the internal HDDs with media, and will play videos & music files. Sort-of.

Picture is fine (going by one side of the dual monitor setup). Second monitor is being sent "black", and displays the cursor as a little X character when mouse is moved over from the active screen.

However, it refuses to make sound come out the ESI Juli@ analog outputs. Curiously, it does send audio via Juli@'s S/PDIF output. Even does AC3 (Dolby Digital) passthrough when "Audio Output" is set to "Optical/Coax".

BUT, it does not find the Delta 1010 PCI card at all... the only other audio device choice is the Intel ALC889 chip on board the mobo (which is not usually used, or connected to anything).

Any ideas on getting xbmc to play through Juli@ analog - or recognize the other sound card (Delta 1010) ?

Thanks again.
I have the exact same error on a new build. Can't run Frodo due to the GUI error/black screen.
XBMC-12.2
Win7 Home Premium, fully updated
AMD A6-6400K flashed to BIOS 2.2
Asrock FM2-A85X-Extreme6 MOBO
8 GB D3 1600 RAM
Complete newbie to XBMC. Any help is appreciated, thanks.
From what I can recall this error referred to the video card not being 3d compliant or needing driver update. Might want to check that the video card is sufficient for the XBMC requirements.
I had this error last week building my last machine with spare parts. Received this error launching XBMC because I hadn't yet put the video card in and was running the onboard video.
Installing the latest video drivers and the new video card resolved this.
@gjwAudio: how is your pc hooked up to the screen? Did you tried to start XBMC via a remote session?
I wonder why there are certain lines missing in your log. Before "checking resolution 16" there should be something like "NOTICE: Found screen: PnP-Monitor (Standard) on AMD Radeon HD 7800 Series, adapter 0." and then a bunch of lines with the possible modes.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
Thats also the reason why you get the crash. somehow windows doesn't deliver us a suitable monitor back.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
(2013-07-01, 06:12)teeedubb Wrote: Would god be so cruel to prevent someone from using xbmc?

er.... could be.

I fired up the OpenELEC LiveStick last night on the main desktop, and guess what ? Ha-Ha-HA ! It too has developed a problem, and displays black screen after the initial OpenELEC spalsh screen.

For a brief instant I see 3 lines of info complaining about something - can't find or allocate some storage - but it flashes up and off the screen so quickly that these old eyes can't read the message before all is black. Maybe I can shoot video with my Canon A430 and freeze-frame the critical data. BTW, the PAUSE/BREAK key was of no help during the process.

Funny how the prior night I was happily cruising around in xbmc - got connected to my router and had internet access (even set up the Weather service for my location). xbmc had no complaint about my video card, and I successfully played some SD video from one HDD and music tracks from another internal drive.

@WiSo: THANK YOU for looking into the Windows crash log. Stupid Windows... why would it not report a suitable monitor/vid card being present ? The very same HW worked OK when running the OpenELEC LiveStick version of xbmc. Stupid Windows. BTW, my screens are connected via DVI to the Asus EN9600GT Silent-HTDI-512M.

Soooo... that's TWO instances now of "Unable to create GUI". Uh-HUH... and I thought I might have to start a new thread for my OpenELEC issues !

Thank you to everyone for spending your time to help me... and guide yet another Linux-newbie through strange, unknown waters. Much appreciated.

Cheers,
Grant
Time for a Chuckle... having looked closely at the little video of my OpenELEC start up process, I can see what the problem is - User Error !!

The LiveStick thumbdrive has a write-protect switch (...a tiny slider on the grabbing end of things), and that little fella got mishandled into the locked position. No wonder xbmc complained it could not create the TEMP file !

Of all the USB sticks littering my desk, that is the only one with a hardware protect switch... so that's my excuse, and I'm stickin' with it Wink

One Item [SOLVED], one to go...
Good you got at least one thing sorted. Smile

For sound you may need to unmute channels in alsa and/or create a asound.conf to get audio out of the analog outputs. But it seems as the card works in Openelec, can you select the analog outputs in xbmc at all?. Probably best to start a thread in the Linux section if Google doesn't give any easy work arounds.
UPDATE ON THE WINDOWS FRONT:

With a Kick and a Curse... I think I'll leave xbmc on Windows for another day. In a last ditch attempt, I enabled ALL services on the machine and tried launching the program. Same as it ever was ("Unable to create..." error) - details in opening post above.

Given the encouragement of limited success with my OpenELEC LiveStick, I'll head over to the Linux support area and set to with all the usual noobie questions. At least it boots up and lets me get into trouble !

Thanks again WiSo for offering insight to the Win trouble.

Cheers,
Grant
I get this error too, but I know that my cause it. I am using the latest drivers for the system hardware and latest stable release of xbmc. I have windows 7 and hdmi video/audio.

My error only happens when the tv is off and xbmc restarts due to nightly backups or pc reboot & the tv is off, no video signel.

That might help you. Make sure you video card and tv are both active before xbmc starts. No vnc remotes ore remote desktops.

This is a new issue I have noticed.

Other thoughts, did you upgrade to a nightly or snapshot release, then downgrade to latest stable - install replacing existing files? I did this too.

Cheers,
Warren.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
"Error: Unable to create GUI. Exiting"0