Bug Thumbnail DB Pollution
I've got a bit of an oddball use case here, so bear with me while I explain. I'm using XBMC in an embedded linux environment where the filesystem is normally run in read-only mode. I've scanned content into my library (while the filesystem was read/write), then switched to read-only mode. At this point, things work more-or-less correctly. I can navigate the system and things look correct on screen. I can use the Android remote successfully, and things look and function correctly. Now when I go to use the iOS remote on an iPhone, that's when problems arise. Specifically, no thumbnails were showing up. As a test, if I switch to the filesystem read/write mode, then thumbnails show up in the iOS remote UI. In looking at what's writing to disk, what I can see is that as I navigate with the iOS remote, XBMC is populating new thumbnails into it's thumbnail database. Here's an example from my data:

2013-06-16 23:21:51.473880230 -0600 ./userdata/Thumbnails/b/bdd27d66.jpg
2013-06-16 23:21:48.823943992 -0600 ./userdata/Thumbnails/7/7b6c01b7.jpg
2013-06-16 23:15:00.293740190 -0600 ./userdata/Database/Addons15.db
2013-06-16 23:14:06.135035085 -0600 ./userdata/Thumbnails/4/4b747f9c.jpg

2013-06-14 22:41:53.734311030 -0600 ./userdata/Database/MyVideos75.db
2013-06-14 22:41:50.014405391 -0600 ./userdata/guisettings.xml
2013-06-14 22:41:50.004405645 -0600 ./userdata/profiles.xml

Notice the bolded items have a timestamp that is two days later than everything else. That's because those items were created when I tried browsing using the iOS remote and switched to a read/write filesystem.

I know XBMC's thumbnail database can be a fickle beast. But I suspect that there's something about how the iOS remote queries images that is causing it to think it has to re-generate thumbnails. The thumbnail filename comes from the hash of the path/URL of the source image. If the source image path is somehow subtly different, that would cause it to think it has to generate a new thumbnail file. The content in my library has special characters (eg: ampersand, and single quote), and thus it is possible that the source image path has those characters in an escaped format, and that is leading to this confusion.

Regardless, I think there is a potential bug here that will cause users who browse the library with the iOS remote to generate duplicate thumbnail images.
I think it's normal that XBMC creates the thumbnails when a first request occurs, but I'm not inside the logic on how XBMC treats this. I'll ask confirms if this is a normal behavior.
Maybe it's pulling in a lower quality/resolution version of the images for sending across to the remote application?
Or maybe those images were missing from your cache when you had the filesystem set to read/write.
Texture Cache Maintenance Utility: Preload your texture cache for optimal UI performance. Remotely manage media libraries. Purge unused artwork to free up space. Find missing media. Configurable QA check to highlight metadata issues. Aid in diagnosis of library and cache related problems.
I have a very similar issue. iPhone remote is creating new thumbnails instead of usingthe ones that show up on the standard interface on my htpc. I haven't looked into it as far as you yet though.
This may be related or unrelated but i figured this would be the most likely spot to post this. First and formost Greatly application really appericate everyone hard work on it. I have been working to get XBMC remote to show all my movies. I went from 16 movies being shown to 782 movies. While that great I only have 744 movies in my collection. Which means about 38 of them are duplicates. I am curious what might be causing the duplicated.

I guess my quesitons is would this type of behavior fall under this bug or is there something messed up in my cache?
(2013-08-15, 02:17)bubona Wrote: I guess my quesitons is would this type of behavior fall under this bug or is there something messed up in my cache?

Duplicate movies has nothing to do with your cache, you most likely do have duplicate movies in your media library. How many movies are reported in the XBMC GUI (not via the iOS app)?

Since duplicate movies would be a media library issue, its unlikely to be related to this issue (assuming this issue is actually a bug, which seems a little doubtful right now).
Texture Cache Maintenance Utility: Preload your texture cache for optimal UI performance. Remotely manage media libraries. Purge unused artwork to free up space. Find missing media. Configurable QA check to highlight metadata issues. Aid in diagnosis of library and cache related problems.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Thumbnail DB Pollution0