Solved Nvidia ION HDAudio Support Problem
Hi All,

I´m using XBMC 12.2 on my Ubuntu 10.04 based Zotac ZBOX ND22 (Dual Celeron, IONI, 4GB RAM). Until now I didn´t use HD audio output. A few days ago I got a new AV receiver (Yamaha RX-V671) and tried to get HD audio working for the first time.
I use a hdmi connection between ZBOX and Yamaha and switched the external sound to "off" inside the ZBOX bios to prevent problems with audio muting and so on with passthrough. My XBMC shows correctly that there is only NVidia HDA to choose from the menu.
All Audio, digital and analog, work fine except of DTS-HD and Dolby True HD. When I set my XBMC to DTSHD and DOLBYHD compatibility, there is onlys a white crippeling noise coming out of all speakers. I can switch to DTS Core and this works good but without HD.
Searching through this forum I found a thread about i3 Intel gfx problem with older Linux kernel and HDA support. Also they suggest to edit "ctlindex" var in a config file under /usr/share/alsa/cards/ and update ALSA libs.
Does NVIDIA IONI have the same problems?

Is there a way to fix my problem without updating my ubuntu to something else than Lucix 10.04? Or is it true, that first generation ION is not able to passthrough bitstream HD Audio even with new kernel? So I can avoid a lot of trouble and have to accept that there is no way to solve this problem without buying a new PC with next generation ION.

THX

Marc
My understanding from these forums is that ION(1) will do neither DTS-HD nor TrueHD (DolbyHD).
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Yep! That is true...
ASRock Beebox J3160 4GB RAM 120GB SATA SSD - Harmony Elite BT
Intel NUC Kit DN2820FYKH 4GB RAM 120GB SATA SSD - Harmony Smart Control BT
all @ Libreelec Testbuild
HP N54L @ Ubuntu 14.04.4 Minimal Server / MySQL DB
HP N40L @ Ubuntu 14.04.4 Minimal Server
Is there a way to let xbmc convert the DTSHD and Dolby True HD somehow to LPCM (because ION1 seems to be able to passthrough 7.1 LPCM)
Yes the problem is the ION1 hardware does not support bitstreaming DTS-HD & TrueHD it will only do LPCM 7.1.

If you have Multichannel LPCM enabled and Speaker configuration set to 7.1 then disabling TrueHD will cause the TrueHD 7.1 to be decoded to LPCM 7.1, this decode process should be lossless & be of the same quality as the original soundtrack.

For DTS-HD all you'll get is the DTS core as there is no open source decode library to allow lossless decoding.
disable DTS-MA and TrueHD passthrough, but enable multichannel PCM(LPCM)
OK, thank you all. I´ll do so.
Marked solved Smile

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Nvidia ION HDAudio Support Problem0