• 5(current)
Proposed changes for skin v2.0
found bug.. oh already :fixed:

actually "system.hasinternet" would be a useful visibility condition. a user could have disabled internet lookups but still have network link which is what "system.hasnetwork" tests.

and as bp pointed out, it would also be useful to test internet connectivity to a known destination. but, should it be a dns based test, or an lower level ip based test? to me, they are two completley different tests. weather, in particular, will still work if dns isnt setup correctly because we use some known ip addresses.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
i could never beleive why is network connected and is dvd in been used in cvs more its rubbish to have options that lock the xbox up if no network is in when a tiny simple line of code can turn it off or even make it invisble Smile. if thought about im sure you could see alot of diff ways to use conditional visiblity....there is even the new open another xbox one for streaming. not used on home that i have seen yet.
also because the cvs is closed but ive seen many good ideas using the extensive cvs features in place now it would be cool for a place where people could display tech demos. eg ideas or concepts working that are new that people could then patch into there skin.

i will release a tech demo soon with all stuff open source and in time i could in a few hours put it into pm3. there is a heap of stuff in skin that isnt utilised in cvs. but i can see that the xbox360 skin with sliders is now alot more possible than before and i would like to start on a new skin when v2 is finalised.
system.hasinternet would be a relatively good one i think, though we have to make sure we make it as full proof as possible. it'd have to run in a separate thread so that it didn't cause difficulties (perhaps updating every 10 minutes or so?)

as for the button scroller visibility per button, this is doable - unsure about how nicely it would work though - transistions will likely be impossible - the buttons just would not be present if the visibility condition returned false (and all other buttons would rearrange themselves). still, it is definitely worth having.

so here's the list so far for me to work on:

1. buttonscroller separate button visibility.

2. a reliable system.hasinternet (perhaps a ping to the ip of google?)

3. info values for player.getvolume (percentage) and player.getvolume (string with db).

4. info conditional for player.ismuted

5. built in function for player.mute

6. info label for listcontrol.getfocusedthumb and whatever else is easily extractable (this requires a bit of code reorganisation)

7. look into the possibility of removing the ntsc folders. i would appreciate if some of you could investigate how well the built in scaling works both in pm3 and in your own skins (just remove references.xml from the ntsc folders for pm3)

let me know if i missed anything out.

cheers,
jonathan
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.

i use pm iii, i renamed references.xml.

the list control now displays 14 lines instead of 12, doesn't look bad though.

my files has 13 instead of 11 lines.

that's about all i noticed, same number of icons in big and sm icon view. the dialogs appear to be the same.

edit: i'm using ntsc 4:3

For python coding questions first see http://mirrors.xbmc.org/docs/python-docs/
ip of google was tested by me from geminiserver and it paused xbmc Smile i guess you could attach it from the weather (on home page) one though that doesnt lock xbox up and eventually works out weather its on the net or not.
first of all i must say really nice work with all new features lately. Smile

what i would like to be able todo tho is to keep a texture on screen when switching from 1 window to another for ex a homescreen and having another lets say mymusic bg slide in over it.
dunno if thats doable atm it wont work with outtime delay on homescreen tho.

another thing that would be nice if possible would be to be able to group a # of controls together and slide them in together when all textures are loaded and ready to go instead of separately because they all have different intimes + its very individual from user to user and setup how much stuff needs to be slided which makes it hard setting the timings to work for all.

contextmenu has a hardcoded positioning from the selected item which makes it hard to skin.
y axis is floating depending on how many buttons is used and
x axis is locked to selected object which causes problems in filemanager which have 2 separate selective objects.
i would like to be to for ex hide the left buttonmenu and fade in the contextmenu over it but not possible atm.

i like the idea with a hasinternet function what would be nice there is if the ping target was user selectable like for ex using your isps gateway would ensure a good and reliable ping and if no ping no inet Wink
it's not likely that "out" effects from windows will be done in the short term. the current code is not set up for it at the moment, and i can foresee issues with it that will need a fair bit of consideration to get it correct. i'm not ruling it out, however.

as for the context menu, it's like that as it is required in different windows in different locations (depending on context, thus the name). perhaps if i sort out a decent solution for kotix's request of different dialog positions dependent on the base window, then this will be easy to do as well.

grouping controls and have them inherit some common visibility code might be possible, though ideally this is something for a skin editor, rather than for the actual engine itself.

i'm going to see if i can change the timing code to operate after the resources for the controls have been allocated, but i'm not sure how easy that is. that should solve the issues such as large thumb panels not sliding correctly due to resource allocation.

cheers,
jonathan

jonathon,
i suggested the grouping a few weeks ago. i also suggested a solution that made it easy to manage.

you define groups and the characteristics, i.e. fades, etc. in a central xml file... like skin.xml or something.

on the object itself you define what group(s) it belongs to. using a <group> tag. you can have multiple groups and they are applied in order... thus each applied overwriting the previous setting(s) if they were set in that group.

know what i mean?
I'm not an expert but I play one at work.
affini: please be far more specific about what you are suggesting. i can't tell whether it's a good idea or not without specifics. remember, xbmc has a complex skinning language as it is, and i don't want to make it more complicated than it has to be.

cheers,
jonathan

it is just as i said. you define the groups, group attributes ann then assign objects to the group.

fake example:

within skin.xml...

<groups>
<group>
<name>home nokai<name>
<visible effect="fade" time="1000">system.hasmediadvd + !system.kaiconnected + [!player.hasaudio | ![player.hasaudio + system.idletime(60)]]</visible>
<font>font12</font>
<textoffsetx>26</textoffsetx>
</group>
<name>home nomedia<name>
<visible>!player.hasmedia</visible>
<font>font12</font>
<colordiffuse>ffffffff</colordiffuse>
</group>
</groups>

within home.xml...
<control>
<description>image</description>
<type>image</type>
<groups>home nomedia</groups>
<id>1</id>
<posx>626</posx>
<posy>500</posy>
<height>50</height>
<width>50</width>
<info>weather.conditions</info>
<colordiffuse>ffffffff</colordiffuse>
<visible>!player.hasmedia</visible>
</control>

<control>
<description>dvd-rom launch button 2</description>
<type>button</type>
<groups>home nomedia,home nokai</groups>
<id>16</id>
<posx>185</posx>
<posy>503</posy>
<width>35</width>
<height>35</height>
<label>-</label>
<texturefocus>home-dvd1.gif</texturefocus>
<texturenofocus>home-dvd1.png</texturenofocus>
<font>font12</font>
<textoffsetx>26</textoffsetx>
<execute>xbmc.playdvd()</execute>
<onleft>12</onleft>
<onright>300</onright>
<onup>300</onup>
<ondown>300</ondown>
</control>

... the control uses the attributes from the group and the last attribute setting "wins". the last applied is the local (i.e. on the control itself) settings... so if the attribute is set locally then the attributes on the control take presidence.

this could potentially "slim" down the controls if several controls have the same settings... many buttons have the same height & width, text offset, font, label, etc. you could even use it for <type> if you think it would work.
I'm not an expert but I play one at work.
maybe it would be a good idea to make a list of all the changes so far ..and put it in the xbmc online manual (skinning tutorials).
so everybody can see what has changed. instead of reading and searching this topic for changes that has been made so far
sorry.. something whent wrong with firefox, it ended up in a double post Sad

if you look at the recent changes page on the wiki manual, you'll see that jmarshall is rather diligent in making sure the manual is up to date with these changes.

http://manual.xboxmediacenter.de/wakka.p....s&v=qu5
  • 5(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Proposed changes for skin v2.00