Best Client other than PC
Good Day Guys,

So i bought an HOMERUNHD Prime and have it working with my cablecard. I was also able to install NPVR on my little plex server. Everything is working beautifully. But The DLNA doesnt work to well with my PS3 and keeps dropping channel. Even my android phone doesnt work well with the homerunhd prime DLNA settings. So i was wondering what is the best xbmc client hardware/ box i can use with xbmc that will allow me to use the live stream from NPVR with no/ little issues? I currently have a roku in the living room and i know that wont work. I really do not want to build a pc i would rather a small box. How does the raspberry pi work?

Thanks guys
The r-pi is working better all of the time. They just did an update that brings a new pi based theme to the gui and it looks pretty cool. As of now it works pretty darn well.

Just expect the r-pi/xbmc to improve in the future...that's the beauty of semi-open hardware and open software.

Forgot to mention... I tested live streaming when raspbmc first came out and it didn't work that great. It may be better now, but I wouldn't hold my breath. The main issue appears to be de-interlacing. I'm not sure the Pi can do hardware de-interlacing properly, but that seems to be an issue with pretty much all of the arm based devices. If your content is all non-interlaced it won't be a problem.

In my case, I don't watch live-stream on the Pi, all of my content is software transcoded/commercial-skipped beforehand. For live-streaming I'm still relying on the big-iron x86_64 amd/nvidia.
(2013-06-17, 22:35)cbxbiker61 Wrote: The r-pi is working better all of the time. They just did an update that brings a new pi based theme to the gui and it looks pretty cool. As of now it works pretty darn well.

Just expect the r-pi/xbmc to improve in the future...that's the beauty of semi-open hardware and open software.

Forgot to mention... I tested live streaming when raspbmc first came out and it didn't work that great. It may be better now, but I wouldn't hold my breath. The main issue appears to be de-interlacing. I'm not sure the Pi can do hardware de-interlacing properly, but that seems to be an issue with pretty much all of the arm based devices. If your content is all non-interlaced it won't be a problem.

In my case, I don't watch live-stream on the Pi, all of my content is software transcoded/commercial-skipped beforehand. For live-streaming I'm still relying on the big-iron x86_64 amd/nvidia.

Deinterlace isn't bad on pi.
It's high quality (yadif standard) at SD, and lower quality (bob) at 1080i.

With latest version (Gotham) the automatic deinterlace works well. (On Frodo it is enabled for files that didn't require it).

There's still issues with live steaming. Recording live TV and then playing it back should be fine.
Thanks guys. I really wanted something to watch livetv. My goal was to watch sports on it and also keep from renting set top boxes to all my tvs. If anyone finds a box that works well please let me know. I am going to post on HDHOMERUN's forums and see also. I will update this forum with any resolution i find.

=)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Best Client other than PC0