Best Solution for my needs - Help Required
Hey guys,

I have been using XBMC on my win PC as my main interface for my large Movie & TV series collection for sometime now, I used to play these via the PC to my TV.
I have recently moved and the missus doesn't want the PC in the living room anymore.

I have taken the opportunity to upgrade and try and make the user experience as easy as possible (Wife Friendly!!!)

Basically I am after a streamer or player that can access my files that I have transferred across to my new Synology NAS.
I have had a look at what is about and to be honest I have about 5 different products in mind but just cannot decide what to go for.

Here are my requirements and I would appreciate any comments that you guys may have.

XBMC a must
Very Quiet - I hate noise during films
1080p
HD DTS Audio or DTS Pass though

I would prefer a stand-alone player but if a HTPC is peoples options then I am capable of the build so no problems there.

Thanks in advance

Regards

Dean
Celeron NUC - $165

2 GB Ram - $19

Sandisk USB drive - 8 GB - $9

TOTAL: $193 or $184 if you already have a spare USB drive.

Install Openelec. It's free. I'm not completely sure about the noise level. You may hear the fan at load. However, it meets all your other requirements. Looks like a streamer, but really a full PC. Openelec gives you the appliance feel.

I think that's just about the cheapest option for a HTPC with full XBMC. This is of course ignoring the Raspberry Pi and Android devices.
Ok thanks,

I haven't come across the NUC's before.
Looks very much like a viable option.
not a bad one cwide actually,,,,
but running OpenELEC on a usb stick is ok,
but some find it slow a bit depending on the skin used also...

you may also look at this all in one Acer VN2620G-UC887L box here
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=165880

Image Image
Thanks guys,

I do have a large library and one of my concerns is lag / slowness when browsing the movie wall.
Would a NUC with a SSD help with this??
For lots of fanart an SSD will help. NUC uses mSata format. Search amazon or ebay for a 16-32 GB mSata drive. Should be able to find one for under $40. 16 GB is more than enough for Openelec and lots of fanart.
cwide's right, check this build Here in my HTPC guide Smile
Image Image
Thanks guys.

Have looked about and decided the NUC with some decent ram and a ssd will suit my needs the best.
Do you know if there is as a way this can be turned on remotely from a harmony remote control?
well, u can always get a simerec pcs-1
Just thought I would let you know that I took the plunge and brought a Celeron NUC with 4gb Ram and a 32gb SSD, running Openelec and Frodo 12.2.
Had a few teething problems in getting to stream my movies files from my NAS to start with but with help from this forum and a Bios Update on the device I can report that it runs all my .MKV's whether 720p or 1080p fine.
I also route it through my AV receiver so HD audio is a bonus as well.

Not the cheapest on the market but I see it as slightly future proof and cant complain.

Thanks for the recommendations.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Best Solution for my needs - Help Required0