Openelec freezing issue.
Hello,
I have an Arctic MC001 and have OPENELEC 3.0.5 installed on it. I use it mainly for plugins. Sometimes the plugins cause openelec to freeze. When this happens I am unable to turn off the unit using the remote. I need to do a hard shut down by pressing the power button on the actual unit. I was wondering if there is a setting or a fix that will prevent the remote from not working when it freezes. I have used other htpc that had windows and linux installed and I was always able to turn off the unit with the remote no matter what happened. Any help would be greatly appreciated. By the way the remote im using is a XBOX 360 DVD remote.
I have a button on my remote that executes a script to kill xbmc for situations like this. It uses irexec so it doesn't matter if xbmc is unresponsive and in OE xbmc restarts automatically when its closed.
How would i go about doing that?
+1; do share :-)
OE is very stable in regular local-content playback but plugins sometimes do cause freezes for me as well!
I'll post my files when I get home but from memory j created a udev rule to launch irexec. In the the irexec config file you map which button you want to use and what you want run on that key press eg killall -9 xbmc.bin
Similar to this, apart from using a different way of launching irexec (autostart.sh will be removed in the future)

http://openelec.tv/forum/64-installation...t-openelec
I do not have ubuntu installed on my htpc it just openelec. Would it still work?
Yeah definitely works with OE - I use it.
thanks teeedubb. i will be waiting for your post.
First log in to you openelec machine using ssh.

http://wiki.openelec.tv/index.php?title=Ssh_commands

Create a irexec config:

nano /storage/.config/.lircrc

Paste in

Code:
begin
        button = KEY_BRL_DOT1
        prog = irexec
        config = /bin/killall -9 xbmc.bin &
end

Crtl + x to exit. Use the command irw to see what is being pressed and replace button field.

Create a udev rule to start irexec:

nano /storage/.config/udev.rules.d/infrared.rules

Code:
ACTION=="add", SUBSYSTEM=="rc", RUN+="/usr/bin/irexec -d /storage/.config/.lircrc"

I find irexec crashes sometimes so I restart it on suspend. A resume hook to restart irexec:

nano /storage/.xbmc/addons/_pm-suspend/sleep.d/irexec.power

Code:
[ "$1" = "resume" ] && sleep 2 && /usr/bin/irexec -d /storage/.config/.lircrc

nano /storage/.xbmc/addons/_pm-suspend/sleep.d/kill-irexec.power

Code:
[ "$1" = "suspend" ] && killall -q irexec

You'll need to create some of the directories using mkdir. Reboot and that should do it.
Thank you I will try this tonight. Just one question what button is button = KEY_BRL_DOT1?

Never mind missed the part where you said to use the irw command.
teeedubb thank you man. I just tried the button with out openelec freezing to see if I did it right and it worked. I am going to try and freeze it now to see it in action when i need it. Your the man bro!!

I wanted to ask you one more question. I dont have a volume up or down button on my remote. Now that I know the irw command I want to use other buttons i do not use on the remote for the volume button. What file do i have to look for to do that? Thanks again
Glad you got it working. To map keys for volume up/down you need a lircmap.xml to translate lirc (irw) key presses to xbnc buttons.

http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Use...ircmap.xml

Then you need a remote.xml to translate the xbmc buttons into xbmc commands

http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Keymap

Its kinda daunting at first but once you get your head around it its really powerful - eg I have a button to launch xbmc subtitles add on, start music party mode, start the music lyrics add on, bring up various PVR windows etc
I Think I get the lircmap but I am lost when it comes to the remote.xml.

The buttons I want to use for volume outputs this in irw

192 0 KEY_CHANNELUP devinput - Want to use for volume up
193 0 KEY_CHANNELDOWN devinput - Want to use for volume down

I made a Lircmap.xml that looks like this.

<lircmap>
<remote device="devinput">
<VolumeUp>KEY_CHANNELUP</VolumeUp>
<VolumeDown>KEY_CHANNELDOWN</VolumeDown>
</remote>
</lircmap>

Not sure if that right but then I get lost with the keymap. That wiki page is a little confusing when you don't know what your doing. lol
That looks right. Remote.xml will be something like

<remote>
<global>
<VolumeUp>VolumeUp</VolumeUp>
</global>
</remote>
i cannot do the second step with the infrared rules it tells me the file does not exist and cannot save nano

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Openelec freezing issue.1