Send to tv?
This might be outside the realm of this app, i often find airplay to windows generally bad quality when im looking at youtube on my phone and it crashes a lot.

I was trying out android tablet and i noticed when I played video it offered to play it through yatse, and if i went to the youtube app itself, it offered to play it through the xbmc youtube app.

Would this be possible as well for IOS to offer to play youtube videos from the app through xbmc?

I did stumble accross this

http://www.youtube.com/yt/sendtotv/

Apparently it works with smart tv's that has the youtube app. So I was wondering if something like this could work with the youtube app in xbmc.

Anyway just an idea, I dont often go through xbmc ios app when i watch videos on my phone, and airplay has been awful quality and crashing alot on windows, so im just trying to think of an option that would allow you to push video to xbmc more seamlessly.
Hi, I'm sorry if your airplay is crashing a lot, here works great (xbmc 12.2 on linux 3.x kernel). The only thing that seems close to cover your needs, seems the use of the XBMC youtube addon within the remote app, this is an old video that show how to use the plugin (the playback is started on the TV):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X8hWAx5InVE
I am guessing part of my issue is airplay on windows, i think i seen several xbmc devs saying windows has issues with airplay, sometimes it works, alot of times it will crash with video.

I was just thinking it would be an easier way to push youtube videos and such to xbmc for windows users. Or just an idea instead of having to go directly through your app. Often i will just be looking at youtube on my tablet or phone and when i tried android a nice little window popped up asking me if i wanted to push/play the video on xbmc through yatse or the android xbmc app. I said yes and it played through xbmc's own yotube app (I think or maybe through upnp/dlna i am not sure) but without me having to go into any app and relocate the video through there in order to play it on xbmc on my tv. It was just a nice little feature.

The quality was also much superior to airplay (airplay video looked substantially worse) so I was just thinking of ideas or wondering if this was possible on iphone using this app. Maybe its an android thing.

I should mention your xbmc youtube app feature does work great in the video you linked to and that has been what I have been doing, but it was just nicer/easier pushing it right from the official android youtube app without having to go back through any xbmc android app and search for the video and find it again in order to share it on screen. When im on my phone or tablet i dont really browse youtube videos through your app or through xbmc apps, i use the ios youtube app itself.

Airplay would be the way to do this currently on my iphone but with airplay on windows i see alot of crashes, and the video quality is poor and noticeably worse compared to however android pushed the video to xbmc. Maybe its just not possible with iphone apple technology.
This is basically how it works with yatse and xbmc on android, and the quality was just incredible. But again im not sure if its possible with iphone/ipad ios technology? It was much nicer for windows anyway then airplay.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K6L1JQpLogs
Actually nevermind, found another thread where people were complaining about airplay quality and crashes and a dev said it was fixed in the nightlys, i gave it a go and the video quality and stability are now much better and on par with the android device.
happy that now is working well. Anyway now I have seen the convenience of the feature request, yatse is doing a nice job. Don't know if it's feasable with iOS.
Just a bit of an update,I spoke a bit to soon, the android method of sending it looks to be sending the url and then opening it with the youtube app in xbmc, so your not streaming video from a device to xbmc, its just playing with the youtube app.

With android using this method for either yatse or the official xbmc android app you can get wonderful 1080p youtube videos with no buffering, with airplay having to stream from your phone, i am getting more buffering and also reduced quality quite often, airplay still seems to be sending/streaming the lowest quality standard definition, I think this might be more of an xbmc problem though as occasionally xbmc will select the HD stream and then the quality is the same over airplay.

Your youtube integration in the app itself is wonderful, i just dont go through it often when browsing videos on youtube, I would prefer and assume many would prefer to use the official youtube ios app when browsing. I suppose the question is whether on apple you can push video from the official youtube ios app to xbmc like android and send the url of that youtube video to xbmc. That send to tv link i posted above apparently can do, but I dont know if this would be difficult to figure out or if this is even possible on ios like it is android. It seems to work the same way android does, you need a youtube app on your tv, then it seems to push the video to the youtube app on your tv and play it through their similar to how xbmc android pushes video url's to the xbmc youtube app.
Also just wanted to mention regarding the usefulness of a feature if possible, currently using youtube airplay seems to be only working sending low quality streams mainly to xbmc as most streams are lacking the m3u8 information from my understanding that xbmc requires to select the highest quality stream.

We are discussing it in this thread.

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=145099&page=4

That would explain why the android methods of yatse and android xbmc app are having no issue streaming high quality youtube videos right from these apps using the built in youtube app in xbmc, but currently airplay on ios devices is streaming low quality videos.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Send to tv?0