Win New to XBMC, switching from WMC/MediaBrowser. Need similar Skin
Hi all. I've been using WMC/MediaBrowser since 2008. My goal was to have a setup that was very wife/daughter friendly. I've been loosely following XBMC over the years. I recently installed the latest version and was very impressed. Hardware acceleration, smooth interface, FF and RW with my remote...

Current setup:
* I have two HTPC's each with vertex SSD's to quickly get meta data cashed locally.
* HTPC's connected via gigabit lan to windows file server with folder shares
* Media: ~450 mkv movies I ripped from Bluray, home videos, and pictures.
* WMC has MediaBrowser, meta data collected before hand using MediaCenter Master.
* WMC interface customized with MediaCenterStudio, that seems to be breaking
* One box uses Gyration remote, other a basic MCE remote
* When the machines turn on or wake from sleep via a remote, they wake up my media server via a Wake-On-Lan utility.
* No live TV, no Netflix

Things I don't like about my current setup
- WMC is dieing
- FF and RW scrubbing a pain, need mouse or several 30 second skip presses
- Can't change audio tracks easily, requires minmizing, mouseing the ffa icon
- Never was able to get subtitles to work with DxVA hardware acceleration
- Genre filtering is cumbersome / clunky

If anyone runs a similar setup and has any pointers, please let me know. I have a lot of questions that the FAQ and Google has answered and I just need to play with the system. However, the answer to one question just isn't jumping out at me:

What is a good skin that can closely emulate MediaBrowser? I want my wife and kids to be able to navigate quickly through the almost 500 movies using the arrow buttons on the remote. A big grid of movie posters with labels seems to be the be the most attractive and efficient in our household. They won't like a linear list of text or having to navigate folder structure.
1st, welcome 2 the forum and to XBMC

As for Skins, tons of them, go check them out and decide what you want to use. There are many similar ones to MB. Skins are a personal prefernce an they all work anywhere from slightly to very different... aking for opinions will get you nowhere fast... as everyone will have thier owne favs, for thier own reasons and you'll still need to do all your own research/testing anyway.

Have fun, XBMC is great... and it plays all the WMC recordings perfectly too Smile
I'm not an expert but I play one at work.
Thanks for the advice.

Last night I installed some skins and discovered that just about all of them have a "wall" mode for displaying movies. I wasn't expecting that because most of the screen shots I see are lists or cover flow. Now I just need to explore add-ons to tweak all the other things I need.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
New to XBMC, switching from WMC/MediaBrowser. Need similar Skin0