OS X Stuttering (unwatchable) video on Mac Mini
Hi there

I'm having difficulty getting many videos to play smoothly on a newly purchased (but second-hand) Mac Mini. There are no issues playing these videos on my other two Mac Minis or our Dell laptop, so the problem is specific to this computer. Further, the problem is specific to XBMC as all files play fine in VLC on the same computer.

Essentially, the video plays at a ridiculously slow speed - 3-9sh FPS and is completely unwatchable; I cannot hear any audio (unsurprisingly!). Please note the problem appears to be with AVIs with the XVID and DVIX (incl. DX50) codecs. Other videos work fine - these include those using M4V, MKV and H.264 codecs (the H.264 example was a 1080i download from one of our TiVos and that places ok).

I have tried numerous changes to settings such as turning the hardware decoding off or on, different audio output settings (in case this was related, but have had no success. I have also tried to find solutions to the problem on this forum and elsewhere; I've read a lot on problems with the VDADecoder on this era of Mac Mini, but I am unsure if this is related (plus, the problems there appear to be with codecs that play ok for me?).

System details: 2010 Mac Mini w/ 2.4 GHz Core 2 Duo, 8GB RAM and 80GB SSD
XBMC version: Frodo (12.2) - both the 32 and 64 bit versions (problems with both)
Output via HDMI (video and audio) to a Onkyo receiver, then onto Panasonic plasma; unsure if it would make any difference if I was to use the Mac's mini displayport with an HDMI adapter?

Log available here - edit: redone 22 June) - apologies, my ability to 'read' this log to see what the problem is is minimal, hence my request for assistance. I haven't been able to work out how to add a screenshot of the problem to this post, so have put one in Dropbox - https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/4545...enshot.jpg

I'd appreciate ideas from anyone who think they know what's causing this and any possible solutions; 99% of the use of this Mac will be for running XBMC so it's something I must fix!

Many thanks for your help.

Jonathan
Please use a pastesite for debug logs like http://xbmclogs.com or http://pastebin.com

Can you hear audio on video files that do play fine?

Is this an early or mid 2010 MacMini?
(2013-06-21, 07:34)Ned Scott Wrote: Please use a pastesite for debug logs like http://xbmclogs.com or http://pastebin.com

Can you hear audio on video files that do play fine?

Is this an early or mid 2010 MacMini?

Apologies for that - first time log paster! Have corrected this and linked to the log in the post above.

Yes, videos that do have a picture that show properly also have sound.

It's a mid-2010 model; the first of the unibody designs, I think, with a DVD drive (eg like this one).

Please let me know if there's any more information that would be helpful.

Thanks
Jonathan
i don't see that you tried playing a file at all - please turn off the library scanning and post a new log (it spams alot making it hard to find anything)
(2013-06-21, 13:02)Memphiz Wrote: i don't see that you tried playing a file at all - please turn off the library scanning and post a new log (it spams alot making it hard to find anything)

Apologies again - I've re-done the log without scanning on; hopefully this is more appropriate. Log is here.

Thanks
Jonathan
Hi - is there any chance someone would be able to assist me with this problem?

Currently the $500 (NZ) spent on this new Mac Mini is completely wasted as its prime purpose is for XBMC; I'm sure this problem can be overcome but it's beyond my abilities - hence I woud really appreciate some expert advice. I have posted a new log in the correct format, as requested; please let me know if there's any other information required.

Many thanks
Jonathan
Is there any chance you would grant us a weekend? *sigh*

2 Things

Code:
10:48:46 T:4865138688   DEBUG: ffmpeg[21FC2000]: [mpeg4] Invalid and inefficient vfw-avi packed B frames detected

This just states the avi is somehow out of spec. But i doubt that this is the cause of your problem. It looks more like a strange audio setup.

Please post your audio settings (i guess you have 7.1 + LPCM capable receiver? - if so - turn off "LPCM capable receiver").
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
Same box. (Mac mini mid2010). Same problem here wiyh some AVI files. Stutter.

They work well outside xbmc runnung in VLC in the same Machine

Don't know what to do
And how should i - if you don't provide the requested info? *sigh*
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
If you haven't already, you guys should try using your thunderbolt port instead via a thunderbolt to hdmi adapter.

I have stuttering issues when dealing with the hdmi port. But with the thunderbolt adapter, it works fine 99% of the time.

Worth a shot..

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Stuttering (unwatchable) video on Mac Mini0