Linux How to see disks 2, 3, etc?
Question 
Hi all,

I've been using XBMC for a couple of years now - love it!!

Just recently, it came to my attention, that I can no longer see disk 2, 3 etc of a any stacked sets Sad

For example, I have one movie with three disks. There is one entry in the movies list, and the info page for that "movie" shows a "Path" like:

Path: stack:///...disk 1.iso,//...disk 2.iso,...

But when I play the movie, it just goes straight to disk 1 every time. I recall that a while ago, if I tried to play the movie, it would prompt me for the disk (1, 2 or 3) to play.

I'm running XBMC Live 12.2 Git:32b1a5e

Is this something that changed with XBMC 12? Is there another / new way to play the non-1 disks?

If I navigate to the files, I can play them from there. Just not in the "library" mode :|

Any help would be really appreciated Smile

Thanks.
Hmm... no takers?

Surely someone can at least tell me is something that was expected to change in XBMC 12?

Thanks.

Paul.
Maybe this thread can help you.
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=126879
Thanks for the reply.

Nope... alas that doesn't help. Even in the file list mode, I can select "Stack" which merges all the relevant files into one entry, but won't play anything but the first one :|

Hmm... this it definitely used to work.
Hmm.. just discovered that if I right-click (something that's hard to do with a universal remote), then the top item in the context menu is "Play part...". Selecting this option presents me with the dialog I was thinking off, which reads: "This file is stacked, select the part you want to play from."

Now, to see how I can make this the default action again...

I can do: System -> Settings ->Video -> File lists -> Default select action -> Choose

It's a kludge... it adds on extra click every time I want to watch a movie (any movie, not just the stacked ones), but it does work.

Anyone else seeing this as a regression? Or is it just me?

Specifically, the issue seems to be, that previously, the default movie action was "Play part..." for stacked items, and "Play" for all others. Now it seems to be "Play" for all (including stacked), with no option to select the previous behaviour.

Note, for the stacked movies, the "Play part..." option always appears at the top of popup menus, implying that it is meant to be the default, but its not for me.
Quote:it adds on extra click every time I want to watch a movie (any movie, not just the stacked ones)

What's wrong with just hitting Play if the movie only contains one file?
Did you make sure your file match the rules for stacking? For example MyMovie-cd1.avi and MyMovie-cd2.avi
http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=File_stacking
(2013-07-02, 07:43)negge Wrote: What's wrong with just hitting Play if the movie only contains one file?

Just the fact that it never used to be necessary... it's not a big deal, just a very small step backwards in UX. Angel

It's okay for me, since I've discovered a work-around, but it could cost XBMC some potential new-comers that might not find the work-around before moving on to something else. Just sayin'. Wink

Cheers.

(2013-07-02, 07:54)getsome Wrote: Did you make sure your file match the rules for stacking? For example MyMovie-cd1.avi and MyMovie-cd2.avi

As mentioned in the OP, XBMC is clearly listing the movies' paths as "stack:///" sets including all files. So it doesn't look like any problem there.

Thanks.
(2013-07-02, 07:56)pcolby Wrote:
(2013-07-02, 07:43)negge Wrote: What's wrong with just hitting Play if the movie only contains one file?

Just the fact that it never used to be necessary... it's not a big deal, just a very small step backwards in UX. Angel

It's okay for me, since I've discovered a work-around, but it could cost XBMC some potential new-comers that might not find the work-around before moving on to something else. Just sayin'. Wink

Cheers.

I fail to see how pressing Play to start a movie is bad/wrong from a UX perspective. Most movies that are stacked are so because they're split into multiple files, and most people want to watch a movie from the beginning, not from the start of the second disc. Am I missing something here?
(2013-07-02, 08:10)negge Wrote: I fail to see how pressing Play to start a movie is bad/wrong from a UX perspective.

I didn't say it was "bad", I said it was a step backwards. I am claiming, at least for my setup, then one extra step is now required to watch a movie, where previously no such step was required. Like I said, it's not a big deal, its just very slightly worse than it was previously. But more importantly, that's once I've gone through the settings to switch to a non-default behaviour. The default behaviour, at least as far as my installation went, won't allow you to play those extra disks at all.

(2013-07-02, 08:10)negge Wrote: Most movies that are stacked are so because they're split into multiple files, and most people want to watch a movie from the beginning, not from the start of the second disc. Am I missing something here?

I think you are missing something. For example, if I play LOTR TFOR (without changing the setting mentioned above), it will happily go straight to disk 1 - great Smile But then, half way through the movie, it will come time to switch to disk 2... but... um... sorry everyone, I can't figure out how to load disk 2... you can see how frustrating that can be.

But as I said right back at the start, I suspect this is a regression (at least for my installation), as this was not a problem (ie the default behaviour much more intuitive) for at least one previous XBMC release, IIRC.

If this is broken on just my installation, then that's fine - I'm happy to live with the trivial work-around until I get around to upgrading to another new XBMC release sometime. But if this is indeed a regression, and affects new installs, then it would be something well worth fixing.

So, anyone else experiencing this behaviour? Or is it just me / my current installation?

Cheers.
Certainly sounds like something is incorrect but I don't have any iso files to test.

From your description it seems to me that File Stacking should ensure Disk 2 starts at the end of Disk 1 as it would do with a multi-part mkv or avi, from what you say this doesn't happen right?

Could be that play continuation isn't supported for iso's but then I'd expect the Play Part behaviour that you say you had on an older versions of XBMC.
There's been another post describing the exact same thing:

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=155416

and no limitations with iso listed on the wiki

Seem's like a possible bug to me, but I'm not a dev so not exactly sure how this is supposed to work with iso's.
(2013-07-02, 11:13)jjd-uk Wrote: There's been another post describing the exact same thing:

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=155416

Yep, that's exactly the same issue I was trying to describe - I think threegs did a better job explaining Big Grin

I've done a quick browse of the code, and it looks like the old behaviour is no longer present. Or more accurately, would require the myvideos.selectaction setting to be set to a value not exposed by the UI.

It also looks like the relevant code is radically different to the previous version, so it probably did change (intentionally or not) as both threegs and I suspect.

Cheers.
I think it could be down to this https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/pull/226

I don't understand all that is talked about, but since resume points on any of the disks is talked about then I believe the stack iso's should be treated as 1 file and play all the way through as with any other file stacking, so no stopping at end of Disk 1. This would fit with the choose part behaviour having gone, so if it's not working that way it could well be a bug.

Could you do a debug Log_file (wiki) of you playing a stacked iso, jump ahead just to 1 min before end of Disk 1 then leave.
I'm having the same problem with Gotham. Stacked ISO files will not automatically start the next file.

http://xbmclogs.com/show.php?id=377394

files are saved as
Lord of the Rings- The Fellowship of the Ring, The (2001)
->The Lord of the Rings- The Fellowship of the Ring (2001) - disc1.iso
->The Lord of the Rings- The Fellowship of the Ring (2001) - disc2.iso

Combine split video items is set to yes.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
How to see disks 2, 3, etc?0